Bahama's with NCL or Key West and Cozumel with Carnival

MalNZ

Looking at the Norwegian Sky - 4 night cruise to he Bahama's or Carnival Destiny - 4 night cruise to Keywest and Cozumel.

We are a family of 4, and we have heard that the inside quad cabins on NCL are very small, where the Destiny has large cabins - is this correct?

Which itinerary would be best for two girls aged 7 and 8?

Any preference re ships?

We are also going on the Noordam - Southern Caribbean cruise on the 24th April, which will be going to Nassau. This is also one of the ports for the NCL cruise above. Is this port worth visiting twice?

Is it sunny and fine in April?

Appreciate your comments.

Mal NZ

I haven't sailed on those exact ships, but I have done similar itineraries with my three kids all in inside cabins. As far as NCL and Carnival cabin sizes - I found them to be similar. We were comfortable but it was cozy. We don't spend a lot of time in the room anyway.

If you are going to visit Nassau on a later cruise, then I would do the Key West/ Coz trip this time. There are some fun things to do in Key West even for the kids (aquarium, shipwreck museum, southern most point, beach, chasing the chickens!). And Coz is a great beach stop, swim with dolphins, snorkle, etc.

My kids have been to Nassau twice now and I feel we have done just about everything except Atlantis and we are saving that for a future land-based vacation.

You might check the RCL 4 day....CocoCay has a lot more stuff for kids than Great Stirrup does.

Unfortunately though, the Majesty of the seas staterooms are even smaller than NCL or Carnival. We stayed on Sovereign of the seas 3 of us in a stateroom, and it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too small. And yes there was 2 upper berths- and so "room" for a 4th in our stateroom.

Would love to cruise RCL, but the kids prices are so much more expensive.

Is it a holiday in the USA today, as I have sent emails yesterday and was surprised not to get a reply today.

MalNZ

Would love to cruise RCL, but the kids prices are so much more expensive.

Is it a holiday in the USA today, as I have sent emails yesterday and was surprised not to get a reply today.

MalNZ

I have been to all ports-and I can't say I prefer one port over the other. I suggest you book NCL Sky-you can get a balcony for a reasonable rate on NCL which would be roomier than an inside cabin. The other ship only has balconies in suites, which are much more expensive.

I have also been to both Great Stirrup Cay and Coco Cay-both islands are nice-Coco Cay is not any better-the difference is Great Stirrup Cay is a large island-and so only part of it is rented by NCL. Princess's private island, Princess Cays is the same way. RCI's other private island, Labadee, this is true also. Some of the cruise lines only rent part of a large island, instead of a whole small island, but all of these have beautiful beaches that are used only by PAX from the ship that are private to cruise PAX.

What is Grand Bahama Island like?

Is there enough to see, going back to Nassau twice?

I am drawn to the NCL ship as it is not such a party ship as Carnival - or am I getting this all wrong :confused:

We are going on HAL Noordam, so thought that a ship with a great childrens area and pool with slides etc would be a bonus for them.

What is the Density like?

Is today a holiday??

MalNZ

I would choose Key West and Cozumel over the Bahamas. You didn't say how old your children are. Our 3 children are early 20's and one is 19. We have been to Cozumel 5 times and our children enjoyed it every time. I guess our youngest was about 12 the first time we went. They love Playa Mia beach! Alot of "water toys" for children. I love the shopping in Cozumel and wouldn't mind going back there on every cruise. We love Carnival ships-haven't been on the Destiny though.

Our grand daughters are 7 and 8 - would you still suggest Cozumel?

Did you visit any ruins there?

The NCL price is so much cheaper than the Carnival Cruise, so that is making it more difficult. In NZ dollars it is quite expensive per day for us all.

MalNZ

I have never been on an NCL cruise, nor have I been to Cozumel.

But I would choose the Key West/Cozumel cruise. We loved Key West, but I don't really like the Bahamas (Nassau, I'm assuming?). There's nothing really wrong with Nassau, but I feel like there's nothing really special about it either.

There are ports of call boards available here on CC. Try those to get an idea of the tours offered.

The ruins on the island of Cozumel are small. Most people take a long ferry ride to the main land of Mexico to see the very big ruins. Cozumel has great beaches and shopping.

Also have to looked at how you want to do your dining. To me that is one of the biggest differences between NCL and CCL. NCL has the freestyle concept and CCL is more traditional in the dining room.

Our grand daughters are 7 and 8 - would you still suggest Cozumel?

Did you visit any ruins there?

The NCL price is so much cheaper than the Carnival Cruise, so that is making it more difficult. In NZ dollars it is quite expensive per day for us all.

MalNZ

My hubby did the ruins in Cozumel last year when we went on NCL Pearl. I didn't. As we saw ruins in Belieze, and I did not want to do two simliar excursions.He enjoyed them, but he did say the guys working the boat that took them to their destination, did their best to sell him a bunch of junk. He reported this on his comment card to NCL about that tour.

For kids that age, you would do better to take them to that private park/beach Chenauab? or something like that-I am sure someone knows what I mean and will post the correct name. I doubt ruins would interest little children.

Nassau does have a very nice zoo-if you go to Nassau-the kids would love that.

We have had a thought - since we are flying into LA, would a Mexico cruise be more interesting, since we are already booked to to the 10 day Southern Cruise on Noordam.

What are these cruises like - or is Cozumel and Keywest a better option?

MalNZ

Archived