Confused about our cabin

zen3003

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and have got so much information, but i can't find an answer to my query.

I'll be travelling with DH and DS (aged 3) on the freedom of the seas (17/09) and will be in cabin 9689, which on the deck plans shows as an interior cabin with 3rd & 4th pullman bed.

My problem is that our TA rang and said that DS is too young for the Pullman beds so don't use them. I thought nothing of it, as i assumed that our cabin would also have a sofa bed. But i was just talking to a friend who was in the same type of cabin and he said they didn't have a sofa bed, just the pullman beds.

If ours doesn't have a sofa bed, then that means we've been given a cabin that doesn't have a bed suitable for DS. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Have rang TA and she is going to ring back on Monday but i'm far too impatient to wait til then :).

This category, a L inside, has a loveseat that IMO a 3 year old could sleep on if you didn't want him in the pullman. Your cabin steward would provide sheets, blanket and pillow. That or DH or you could sleep in the pullman. Note there appears to be a curtain in this cabin that separates the bed area from the loveseat area which is a common arrangement in cabins.

Go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/cabin/home.do;jsessionid=00005z85CaFt_UF6NcbFPdH-njX:12hdhuaq2?shipCode=FR&cabincls=I&cabinType=SI&br=R&deckCode=02

There are bed rails on the pullmans if I remember. I would think a 3 yo would love sleeping in a bunk.

Depending on how "cozy" you want to get, he could sleep in bed with you and DH.

Hope you get this sorted, no worries you are on vacation!!

Thanks for all your replies.

Garyorient - the TA knew his age and he was even with me when we made the booking.

Robtulipe - i'm just laughing at the thought of us arriving into our cabin and me informing DH that he's been relegated to the bunk bed, while DS sprawls out in the queen size bed. Don't think that would go down too well

DS would probably love the idea of sleeping up there, but he really moves around when he's sleeping and manages to fall out of his double bed every now and then! And it would be going against RCCL's advice, which i'm sure is there for a good reason.

I have visions of him landing in on top of me and DH in the middle of the night - that would be some shock, but i'm sure we'd see the funny side after the panic eases, unless of course someone got hurt.

Whether he ends up sleeping up there, or on the loveseat or god forbid in with us (DS & DH both fling arms and legs & steal all the duvet), i would just feel a bit annoyed that we will have paid for a bed for him that he hasn't got.

Not sure if they'd even be able to move us as just did a search and no interior rooms seem to be available online. And we're travelling with my mum and dad who are staying in next cabin, so they'd have to have another two cabins next to each other or be miles from each other. Other than this, i was happy being on deck 9. I can just see them offering us cabins down on deck 1 or something.

So just to confirm, do you think it is my TA that has messed up? If there are no other interior rooms available, i don't really see how she can fix this

There is a rail on the side of the bed, but I do remember my daughter used to drop her pillow onto me from the end of the bunk.

I have to agree that your son will have a great time sleeping up there. Ask your cabin attendant for help figuing out how to secure the one open end of the bed.

The cabin steward can also bring an extra blanket for you, no need to fight over the duvet(those are too hot anyway).

Here is a picture of my DD on the pullman bed. This was on the Sovereign, so I am not sure if it will be the same on your ship or not. But I thought it might give you an idea of what it might look like.

ry%3D400

(She just got done swimming, so that is why her hair is so crazy!!!)

Maggie

Honestly the room will feel bigger if you just let him sleep in the love seat. Your cabin attendant or you can make him a cozy little nest there..just push the coffee table away from the area in case he rolls off. The love seats are so low to the carpeted floor that even if he does roll, no damage done. If you had a room with a sofa bed, it would be something that you have to stumble over when it is open. Yes, he would probably love the pullman bed (our son did in the camper we owned) but if you are worried about him falling out, the love seat is a great option that keeps you cabin next to your parents, etc.

Yes, your TA screwed up. Had the same situation with our son, DIL, and infant granddaughter. Son was told by his TA that he had to have a cabin for three people even if our GD would only be 10 months on our upcoming Oasis cruise. I called Crown and Anchor and was informed that if she would only need a Pack and Play that they could book a cabin for 2.

It's not a big screw up bit unless you want to try to upgrade on the TA's ticket and risk not having adjoining rooms with your parents, then I would stay put.

My understanding from reading the family boards here on CC is that kids under 6 shouldn't be in the pullman beds for safety reasons.

You may want to post on the family boards for additional thoughts to work with your TA on when you speak with her again.

Another idea I've seen is using the loveseat as a bed and having the cabin attendant turn it around so that the open sitting area is up again the wall, creating more of a crib like environment for the child.

We've not tried that with our DD who is 5 although she has taken naps on the loveseat when she was 3 and 4 without falling off but a nap is nothing compared to the workout feats she does overnight, so I understand your concern for your 3 year old.

Keep us posted and have an awesome cruise.

Wendy

Or YOU can sleep in the pullman and let DH and DS flail away at each other down below!!! LOL! From all the suggestions you have received, I am sure you will get a happy result. Have a wonderful cruise!

This IS what I'd do. But putting him on the love seat as a bed is perfect, too. Kids love sleeping on sofas. My 19 year old still insists on sleeping on the sofa as her bed in the Embassy Suites rather than pulling it out into a bed. Fine with me - more room to walk around.

I'm not so sure this is the TA's fault. You state that she told you the child should not use the pullman. You are the one that mistakenly assumed it would have a sofa sleeper. When she told you that did you say that won't work or that it would be okay. Since you apparently had no problem with what she told you at the time I would imagine that she thought you were okay with one of the options given here. I bet he will think sleeping on the sofa is great if you just make it be a fun thing. Have a fun time!

Maybe you could ask them to remove the sofa table and pull the matress off the pullman onto the floor infront of the sofa? Just don't step on him on the way to the bathroom ;)

And if the cushion does not remove, they can take the mattress from the pullman and fix it on the floor at night. They will just put it back up in the morning.

thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. With all these ideas, we could try a different configuration each night :D i'll let you know which we thought was best.

chucknmarilyn - sorry my first post was a bit confusing. We booked and paid travel agent for the cruise back in may (asked for interior stateroom for 2 adults and a 4 year old). We got a copy of the reservation last week with our cabin number on, and it was then that she said about not using the Pullman bed.

From looking at the picture on RCCL website of interior stateroom, there is a sofa in the room (which i thought was the sofabed, I didn't know they also had loveseats), so that is why i didn't question her at the time.

As it happens, we were planning on turning the sofabed round against the wall, instead of opening it up, so it wasn't the 'bed' part of sofabed that i was worrying about

When my friend said he didn't have one in his room, I thought that meant he didn't have a sofa of any kind. I now know from the replies here that we will have a 'loveseat' instead, which is just a normal little sofa, so that will work fine.

But in my defence, TA was basically saying that the 3rd bed we had booked was not to be used for DS! Where exactly did she think he was going to sleep then? Obviously me & DH were planning on sleeping in the double bed. I got the impression when querying this with her that she thought we had a sofabed in our room too, so she is now looking into it.

TBH, now that i know we have a few different options which will work fine, i'm not worried - far too excited. But TA doesn't need to know that ;). We might be able to wrangle something out of her for the inconvenience.

in order to have 3 humans in a room there has to be 3 beds. doesn't matter the ages.

the reservation was made and the computer probably thought the child would get one of the lower bunks.

in order to get a sofa bed you'd have to go to a more expensive cabin. probably a balcony, D1.

i don't remember seeing it but i think someone said you had a connecting room? the connecting insides do not have the love seat. they just have a chair because the door is there.

I don't think I saw anyone suggest your room steward bring in a rollaway bed. Although space would be tight, it would certainly work!

I still fault your TA for this. He/she should have known right off the configuration of your stateroom when you booked... but that's just MHO.

It'll work out, don't fret.

;D

A~

Archived