Gay solo cruising

ommboz

Hi all! Just wondered if there's any other LGBT family who cruises solo on the mainstream lines. I enjoy cruising (one of my favorite vacations), and especially like the mainstream cruises for the activities, atmosphere. I also enjoy cruising solo - it gives me a chance to do what I want, when I want to. I've met a lot of great people on the cruises - both gay and straight, and most (if not all) that I've met have been very friendly toward me as a gay man cruising solo. Anyone have any experiences cruising solo on the mainstream lines? I've done mostly Royal Caribbean, but I'm gonna try Princess next year. Thanks all -- happy cruising!! :)

I've travelled solo also, finding it easy to do whatever you want whenever you want. I meet alot of fun people gay and straight.:p I do prefer to be at an assigned seating with a big group. I'm a shy at first but with a few with a few drinks, i tend to let my guard down.:D I've haven't done an all gay cruise (yet) but i'm thinking of doing one next year--i thought these cruisers were all good looking men, well toned men. (not complaining about that) but i'm not well toned just average.

I would love to meet other solo cruisers and couples to continue to have fun at least once a year. Until then...happy sailing...

I cruise solo all the time. It is nice to do what you want when you want. I find that going to the FOD/GLBT meetings and having traditional assigned dinner seating a nice way to meet people to talk to and run into, so on good cruises (active GLBT meetings/friendly dining companions) you get the best of both worlds. I've been on Princess and it was one of my better experiences; did things with people I met at the Friends of Dorothy meeting, ran into people from dinner on excursions; you should have a great time on Princess. Princess seems to get good reviews on this board, which is one of the reasons I was eager to try that line.

I am a solo cruiser - all with the Holland America Line (HAL). My 10th trip with HAL is to Alaska in about 10 days, and then another to the Caribbean in Nov. While I never go to the Friends of Dorothy parties, I always have the best time chatting with both gay and straight people. I remain in touch with a few people that I have met on a cruise and even sign up on cruise with them. Sometimes, for dinner, I ask for a table of 6; other times I eat in the Lido room for dinner, and have the best time there. Do go, and do enjoy your freedom.

I've done 4 solo cruises and loved each of them. The first was a 14 day on Celebrity, the rest were on RCI. Like everyone has stated, it's mostly about being able to do "what you want, when you want", and changing your mind in the middle if you wish. I too have met varied and interesting people on all my cruises, which is one of the reasons I like to cruise. I like to go to trivia, the specialty restaurants, and the GLBT gatherings, in addition to the dance classes. I love ballroom dancing and have danced with both men and women while on board. I've never encountered any problems.

I did my first solo cruise two weeks ago. I booked it last minute and my partner couldn't take the time off so I went alone. I had a great time but stuck to myself for a lot of it (by choice). People on cruises are pretty laid back in general so I didn't have any problem meeting anyone. It was a great chance to decompress and truly relax. Go for it.

I've done one solo so far, a 13 day on NCL. Loved it, and planning the next one now, on NCL again. I just prefer the more relaxed dress code on NCL vs. the other mainstream lines. I was active on the Roll Call, and helped set up a Cabin Crawl. With several folks 'met' on the roll call, we set up independent shore excursions.

The only issue was after the Cabin Crawl with 62 people, for the rest of the cruise, on ship and even ashore, I would walk by someone and they would say 'hi Rich.' All I could do was say 'hi' back because I had no idea who they were. :o

Rich

By necessity I have started to cruise solo. My partner of 20 years and I have had to start taking separate vacations due to the fact that we have a small ranch and our family members who used to take care of the animals when we cruised together had the nerve to do the same thing we did … got older!

I’ve done two (sailing’s) by myself. I’m very much a loner in real life so while on the cruise it’s all good. I have met some folks aboard and it has been fine too.

Princess Cruise Line is probably one of the better choices for a nice mix of people and age groups. Holland America is a bit older crowd and I’m not quite there yet to cruise alone on Holland America.

For me dining is a solo experience (so far anyway). Mostly in the Lido Restaurant or a specialty restaurant. For total relaxation and doing whatever you want whenever you want is just fine for a duration of a cruise.

Have fun!:cool:

I have cruised solo dozens of times on Crystal, Celebrity, HAL and Princess. My favorite is Crystal due to the onboard enrichment programs and their resonable (25%) Single Supplement. There is always some family onboard, between quests and staff. Last year I did their World Cruise Solo and had a fantastic time! I have also found Princess to be most welcoming with daily FOD Meetings with a wide variety of people. Strangely, the least welcoming have been the all Gay cruises I have taken with RSVP on HAL, where some of the couples viewed a single Man as a threat. Celebrity has always been great too, other than their solo pricing, which is 200%. Many times I have sailed with Crystal for close to the same price as Celebrity.

Live each day as if it were your last because in the end it does not matter what you've done with your life, what matters is what you wanted to do and didn't.

I like that, I like that very much. In the end, who give a rats behind.

Archived