Baggage Size Limit on NW and Delta

bwellen

I know that both Northwest and Delta have size limits of 62 inches on each piece of luggage. (You get this number by adding length+height+width).

What I want to know is if the airlines are inforcing this policy or have they been lenient lately. Anybody out there had a bag found to be oversized and had to pay the extra fee?? It is an $80 fee for oversize luggage.

We have one suitcase which measures 67 inches, and the other one measures 63 inches.

My experience lately is that the airlines are more concerned about the weight of the bag (typically 50 lbs. is the domestic limit) rather than the linear size. If you're at all concerned, my suggestion is to check the bag at curbside as the skycaps tend to bend the rules a bit more than the desk agents inside the terminal.

jeff

Many airlines will not accept bags over 70lbs. at all

You just can't know how many times I have seen this being enforced!

Hopefully you have another bag that you can move stuff to....

I saw a single traveler....(happened to know her from our cruise)...having to take stuff out of her bag...(a very big bag)...and load up her person! Yes, wrap pieces of clothing around her. We were able to give her a little tote bag....which helped a little.

I'm not sure about Delta or Northwest... but on Virgin Atlantic this summer our carryon backpacks met the length-width-height dimensions but not the weight. Had to check them (we were carrying nothing else for the week in London & Scotland). Think it was about 13 pounds (6 kg) for carryon and we were at 22 pounds each. That was flying international. The same backpacks were able to be carried on when connecting on American for the domestic portion of our trip (AA allows more carryon weight and we were within those specifications).

I travel a ton for business (with plenty of miles with Delta). It's bascially hit or miss - I think what you will find are plenty of variables. The primary one for both carry-ons as well as checked is primarily based on capacity of the flight. If it is a fully booked flight, they will enforce it more strictly. Carry-on's are limited to regular travel roller-boards or smaller and if the flight is full sometimes they will make u check it, even if it's within the demensions. As for checked bags, if the bag is are really packed tight, and bulging they will probably charge for overweight, especially on a full flight. The other variable - mood of the agent checking you in!!!!. Best bet - be cheerful without being nausiating. Ask how their day is, comment on how busy they must be showing sympathy, don't argue or have any type of attitude. It's amazing what u can get just by being pleasant. Showing interesting in them works well!

• 3 weeks later...

I was the original poster for this topic and I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know how everything turned out.

We did take the 67 and 63 inch bags with us (the limit is supposed to 62 inches) and we had no problem at all. Nobody really batted an eye at the size of our bags and we actually saw many bags the same size as ours if not bigger.

As expected, weight was what the agents were really concerned about and they were enforcing this rule VERY strictly.

Our initial flight was okay since I was able to weigh the bags at home before going to the airport. We had one bag at 48 pounds and the other at 47 pounds (the limit is 50 pounds).

Our return flight after the cruise was a little more complicated. We tried to pack the bags similar, but of course we had accumulated some gifts along the way, so we really were not sure where we stood. We arrived at the airport to find that one bag weighed 49 pounds and the other one weighed 54 pounds. We opened up the heavy suit case and took out a couple of items (luckily we have plenty of room in our carry-on). We weighed the suitcase again and this time it came out to be 50.5 pounds. What do you think the agent said??? That's right, "take more out please"!!! We pulled out a pair of shoes, the bag weighed 49.5 pounds, and we were on our way.

Delta is unusual in that they do indeed have a weight limitation for carry-ons (though I'm not sure how often they test that limitation). Neither American Airlines nor United Airlines has such a limitation on domestic carry-ons.

Ok, here are the just a couple I found on websites:

American Airlines: The one carry-on bag must fit in an overhead compartment or under the seat. It should not exceed 45 linear inches (length + width + height) or weigh more than 40 lbs/18 kgs.

United Airlines:

Carry-on bag dimensions should not be more than 9" x 14" x 22" (length + width + height) or 45 linear inches (the length, height and width added together).

Continental Airlines:

The maximum combined linear measurement (L + W + H) of the carry-on bag is 51 inches (130 cm). The maximum weight of the carry-on bag is 40 pounds (18 kg).

s.gif And the list goes on and on. You must check the websites to be sure.

I thought I'd checked the sixth legacy carrier, US Airways, and yet-again, a different policy: This time all carry-ons must be, together, less than 40 pounds.

Also, neither Jet Blue nor Southwest have carry-on weight limitations.

You must check the websites to be sure.
Definitely good advice, Judy.

MandyGirl:

What I found interesting was that the agent still attached a big red HEAVY tag to each one of the bags. Then with black marker she wrote 49 on one tag and 50 on the other.

I suppose that she was just trying to warn the handlers to take more time with these bags. Still, I have never seen an agent put a HEAVY tag on luggage which is below the airline limit.

Wow - that is interesting! I knew someone once who worked ramp for an airline and had hurt himself by lifting an unmarked bag that was definitely over the limit. That's good she marked it like that since it was right at the limit. I know I'm a weenie and could never lift so many bags in a day. :) Let me have my one or two and that's enough when I travel!

I think I was deleting when you were replying - I just realized that.

I have been on a flight before that was delayed because a passenger was trying to cram their bag in the overhead bin space and slam it shut... and they broke the latch when slamming the heck out of the thing. Then all the bags in that bin space had to be moved since the latch was broken, but since the flight (and bins) were packed the bags had to be moved underneath. The flight attendants explained that it was a FAA thing. Because there was maintenance nearby, they were able to come onboard and fix the latch quickly. So I can definitely see the size dimensions being a consideration. :)

Archived