Rum Runners?

OK here I am back from my cruise and reporting back. I had a box of wine in my carryon (I said what the heck this time and even kept it in the box) and it went right thru. I also had another box of wine in my packed bag along with 2 large rumrunners and everything made it thru fine. I had also packed 2 small soft coolers and my steward kept everything iced all week. NICE!

There was a thread earlier this year on the NCL forums of someone getting busted during a college spring break week with Rum Runners. They were confiscated and not returned.

I was busted many years ago on Carnival, brought a fifth in glass bottle, in my carry on. It was my first cruise, I didn't know they had X-Ray machines for finding bottles of alcohol. I was far from the only one who didn't realize this. In the naughty line we were sent to there was a women who had a doctor's note and prescription for a half gallon of Scotch. I'd like to know who that doctor was. I guess it was her "Rheumatism" medicine. :) Carnival didn't seem to want to believe it though, not sure if they got away with it.

I think the worst part of it was having to carry the bottle home after the cruise, they kept the bottle on board and we got it back the last night of the cruise.

Hey guys on my cruise on the Carnival Valor last Sept I had no probs with my rum runners. However i did read posts on here (no I'm not gonna search for them for you guys) a few months back regarding rum runner being confiscated... We still plan to take our rum runner on our Nov wedding cruise. I'll report back when we return.

Took one 32oz rr and two water bottles with Vodka in them and had no problems. My sister put bacardi in a mouth wash bottle. It got thru fine but the bacardi tasted minty and was nasty. She said she cleaned the bottle. So mouthwash bottles are not a good idea unless you like minty alcohol. We were on the Carnival Liberty 5/30. I plan on taking them on my upcoming cruise in Oct.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the minty mouthwash bottles. Our first cruise I bought the biggest Scope bottles I could get at Costco, dumped the mouthwash, rinsed out the bottles and filled it with vodka. Even went so far as to tint it just the right color with food coloring. We went and got some fruit punch brought back to the room. Red fruit punch plus green minty vodka makes for a blackish nasty drink.:eek:

So, we get the scope bottles back home. They sit around for a while and I think we should give them to the homeless guy in town that everyone knows, Marvin. We carried that dang bottle around for two weeks never seeing him. I wanted to be sure we explained to him it wasn't Scope in case he downed the whole bottle thinking it would have little alcohol in it. I was out of town when my DH told me he had given the bottle to Marvin. I asked, "you told him what it was?" Nope, just left it on his cart. The next day in the paper was a headline - HOMELESS MAN FOUND DEAD UNDER BRIDGE. OMG, I thought, we've killed Marvin.:eek: We quickly found his cart and there was the "Scope". Whew!

• 11 months later...

Plastic bottles leave a clear outline when they X-ray your luggage. Rum runners can be shaped and bent or folded to fit around a corner of your suitcase, something you can't do with a plastic bottle. We borrowed a RR bottle last time and that's how we placed it: nestled inside the lower corner of one of our suitcases. We went through without any problem. However, if you want an added thrill, buy a 32-oz bottle of water. Empty the water and put any clear and colorless liquid in it. My wife croched nifty holders for exactly such bottles, complete with shoulder strap. In tropical climes like Miami, all tourists are walking around with a water bottle. Having it slung on your shoulder allows you to go through undetected. The best way to hide something is to have it in plain sight. So, it's water bottles for colorless spirits and RR for the rest. Plus, if you run out of elixir while cruising, you get off the ship with your bottle filled with water, buy more holy water in a store, empty the water and refill your water bottle. Works every time and cuts your bar tab way down. Enjoy.

On 2 cruises this year:

May-2010--Emerald Princess--Fort Lauderdale

- case of 18 twelve ounce cans of beer in checked baggage

- 250ml Nalgene round bottle with rum in checked luggage

- carried on 125ml rectagular Nalgene bottle with rum in shorts pocket

- 1.75 liter vodka in original bottle in checked luggage

- another bottle of vodka in original bottle in checked luggage

- bottle of tequila in original container in checked luggage

(not all of this was for me; we arrived a day early and visited the liquor store for others coming in on Sunday embarkation day).

- also purchased a couple of airline type bottles of rum in St. John's and carried on in shorts pocket

September-2010--Carnival Triumph--New Orleans

- case of Diet Dr. Pepper with several 12 oz cans of Coors Light replacing original cans in checked luggage

- 250ml Nalgene round bottle with rum in checked luggage (mixed in with bathroom items, bottle of sunscreen, etc.)

- carried on 125ml rectagular Nalgene bottle with rum in shorts pocket

- four 200ml bottles of Salvador Margarita's in original bottles in checked luggage

(not a major heist but it was more than enough for me)

4 cruises now using rum runners, they are awesome. Saves us alot of $. We just pack our clothes around them (leak proof) and have never had a problem. Well worth investing in a couple, even for one cruise.:p

• 8 months later...

chiming in here. Just wondering what kind of cocktails everyone makes using the rum runners.

I have successfully brought on a case of beer my last 5 cruises on NCL in checked bags. Bad part is the case of beer is heavy and takes away some of the weight I could use for packing other clothes etc.

So I"ve just been turned on to Vodka martinis with vermouth and olives.

I can fill the rum runners 1 each with Vodk and the Vermouth. But how to get the olives aboard as they come in glass jars? Any suggestions?

Some people use RumRunners while others like myself find my spirits at our local Total Wine store and buy them in their plastic bottles...perfect. I like Drambuie so I get a 750 ml plastic bottle and put it in my checked luggage. My wife likes wine so we each bring one bottle of wine for her to have with dinner. There are other plastic bottles you can buy to put your spirits in that don't have the Advertising on it. Is this wrong? Answer me this...is it wrong to charge ridiculous prices on watered down crappy drinks for $5-$8 that don't even use good Spirits? One ounce of Gin or Vodka does not cost $7 people...c'mon! When they charge something reasonable and customary then I'll stop bringing my own.

Some people use RumRunners while others like myself find my spirits at our local Total Wine store and buy them in their plastic bottles...perfect. I like Drambuie so I get a 750 ml plastic bottle and put it in my checked luggage. My wife likes wine so we each bring one bottle of wine for her to have with dinner. There are other plastic bottles you can buy to put your spirits in that don't have the Advertising on it. Is this wrong? Answer me this...is it wrong to charge ridiculous prices on watered down crappy drinks for $5-$8 that don't even use good Spirits? One ounce of Gin or Vodka does not cost $7 people...c'mon! When they charge something reasonable and customary then I'll stop bringing my own.

I 2nd that!

Jo Anne

Ok Since no one is willing to fess up my hubby and I traveled on the Carnival Freedom (our wedding cruise) in Nov 2009 with 4 rum runners. One in each piece of our luggage and YES one of our rum runners was confiscated. They put a note in our luggage (on orange paper) saying that they checked our luggage, but didn't acknowledge that they took our rum runner. No biggie thou we had 3 others. But still spent alot on drink onboard bc we didn't feel like running back to our room to make drinks, so as always we came home with some of the alcohol we took with us. But we will definitely use them again on future cruises. I like the idea of giving them as Christmas gifts I may do that for our next cruise.

Archived