Rum Runners?

I've never seen any of the booze I like to drink sold in plastic bottles.

Hello

They are about 4 inches or so in height and they come in every kind of booze you can thing of like rum, whiskey, etc and they are usually like the ones that are served on the aircrafts.

Some of these are made out of glass as I have bought some like that.

Uh, perhaps the difference is that bottles look like bottles! I have never been caught with my rumrunners and considering the fact that all six of them cost me less than $20 and those little bottles cost way too much, I just don't think it's worth it......

Uh, perhaps the difference is that bottles look like bottles! I have never been caught with my rumrunners and considering the fact that all six of them cost me less than $20 and those little bottles cost way too much, I just don't think it's worth it......

Interesting, as I never seen the plastic containers that are being used to carry liquor in them, I did go on line and have a look that them , maybe we used these little bottles because they are in the liquor store and they are different prices some start at $3.50

Good idea using these plastic containers as they do not look like bottles with booze in them. But if they are even checking water bottles , I have to wonder how long before they start to check every plastic bottle or container. What do you think?

Interesting, as I never seen the plastic containers that are being used to carry liquor in them, I did go on line and have a look that them , maybe we used these little bottles because they are in the liquor store and they are different prices some start at $3.50

Good idea using these plastic containers as they do not look like bottles with booze in them. But if they are even checking water bottles , I have to wonder how long before they start to check every plastic bottle or container. What do you think?

Doubtful, they don't even scan all the luggage, they only pick and choose. You are allowed to carry liquor in you bags when flying. Even though I am sure they know the rumrunners are there, it's the obvious bottles that get confiscated. I create enough static in my bag that they would be hard pressed to identify each item I have! I use lots of travel containers/bottles for my lotions, etc. Can you imagine how long boarding would take if they were to check every bag?

I've never seen any of the booze I like to drink sold in plastic bottles.
They don't sell EVERYTHING in plastic bottles, but my liquor store has a whole section called "travel bottles". It's not all one-serving bottles, but they are all fairly small -- small enough that you can expect to finish the bottle during a vacation.
I don't think they'll ever do it. Oh, they COULD check every suitcase and every bottle, but it wouldn't be cost-effective. The reality is that most people who bring alcohol onboard bring only a small amount -- and they end up buying plenty more from the ship. The manpower necessary to locate the small amounts of alcohol in people's luggage would far outweigh the loss of a few drink sales.

Doubtful, they don't even scan all the luggage, they only pick and choose. You are allowed to carry liquor in you bags when flying. Even though I am sure they know the rumrunners are there, it's the obvious bottles that get confiscated. I create enough static in my bag that they would be hard pressed to identify each item I have! I use lots of travel containers/bottles for my lotions, etc. Can you imagine how long boarding would take if they were to check every bag?

They absolutely do scan every bag that goes on a cruise ship. They process luggage as soon as soon as carts are full. They have many hours to get the bags scanned and onboard.

There have been many posts here with people who have had their rum runners confiscated. There have also been many posts here with people who have gotten their rum runners through. RCI for example, gets very strict at spring break time and this past spring break actually put a note on the bag saying the quantity of items they were looking for in the bag.

I haven't seen any, much less many. :confused:

Me either. Where are all of these posts??

Many posts on this subject get deleted because people don't play nice.

I did however do a search for you to find some of them. Search the RCI forum, there is a thread titled Busted and another titled Caught. There is also this thread that I found a link for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=958351&highlight=confiscated

Search around on confiscated, busted, caught, rum runners or similar words and you will find more. There were a bunch of threads starting in late February through April, when RCI was really being strict. They are currently on a scissors and knife kick so you might have a better chance with a rum runner.

I just wish that once people have taken their cruise that they would report back on success or lack there of! Inquiring minds NEED to know:D

OK I am reporting my success. Used them last year in my checked luggage and they worked great. Also took my "wine in a box" out of the box and took it in my carryon, no problem.

Many posts on this subject get deleted because people don't play nice.

I did however do a search for you to find some of them. Search the RCI forum, there is a thread titled Busted and another titled Caught. There is also this thread that I found a link for you.

Search around on confiscated, busted, caught, rum runners or similar words and you will find more. There were a bunch of threads starting in late February through April, when RCI was really being strict. They are currently on a scissors and knife kick so you might have a better chance with a rum runner.

Thanks for the info. I will take a look. I guess good thing I don't cruise RCI.

Search the RCI forum, there is a thread titled Busted and another titled Caught. There is also this thread that I found a link for you.

Search around on confiscated, busted, caught, rum runners or similar words and you will find more. There were a bunch of threads starting in late February through April, when RCI was really being strict.

Good thing I sail Carnival then, they don't much care as far as I can tell! 10.gif

edited to add: that entire linked thread spoke of many bottles of alcohol confiscated, but no rumrunners. Even in post #36, with the poster whose DH had his bag searched but his rumrunner not taken!

OK I am reporting my success. Used them last year in my checked luggage and they worked great. Also took my "wine in a box" out of the box and took it in my carryon, no problem.

Thanks! I will report back after my cruise in a few weeks. I would have thought that wine sans box would be picked out in the carry on though.:rolleyes:

Thanks! I will report back after my cruise in a few weeks. I would have thought that wine sans box would be picked out in the carry on though.:rolleyes:

I would have thought the same thing. We've taken boxed wine before. Take the plastic bladder out of the box and I pack it amidst the shampoos, lotions, etc in another plastic bag but in our checked luggage. Haven't had a problem before.

I watch these boards regularly and have only seen a few (less than 5) reports of RR being found. They are difficult to find due to their nonconforming outline. Bottles of any kind are easier to see due to their outline on the xray display. It does not matter whether the bottles are plastic or glass. I have seen Bacardi rum sold in plastic liter bottles. Not the most expensive rum and not the cheapest.

Ships usually have about five hours or so to accept the checked luggage and load it on the ship. With ships carrying 3000+ pax, that means 5000 or more pieces of luggage. They really do not have a lot of time to thoroughly check ever single piece of luggage. Bottles are much easier to see and are caught more often. RR are difficult to see due to their outline and easier to get through.

Smuggling alcohol is an ancient craft perfected over the centuries. Sherry is a direct product of smuggling efforts.

I just wish that once people have taken their cruise that they would report back on success or lack there of! Inquiring minds NEED to know:D

I posted a few times regarding my experience with RR last spring! :D I even cruised during "spring break season" and was quite successful. There were 4 of us with connecting staterooms who handed over our luggage at the same time who got all rum runners through! That included 4 32oz RRs in out toiletry bags as well as a few others that were strategically placed. I'll be using rum runners again in November- hopefully with the same luck!

I hope you are as lucky as we were! :)

Archived