Typical Dry Dock Renovations?

transam84

We are sailing on the Explorer in June 2010 and I know it is scheduled for dry dock in Jan 2010.

Was wonder what the "typical" dry dock renovations include?

When I was on the ship a few weeks ago the cabins still had the old "tube" TVs, so assume they will be replaced (not that I watch TV or care about such things, just curious)?

Was wondering if furnature is replaced? carpets?

The shipped looked very good, so I'm just curious what they will be doing to make it even better.;)

Generally drydocking provides cruise lines a chance to strip and repaint the hull below the water line, resurface the running track, make major mechanical repairs, clean everything top to bottom, etc. You will often see a lot of carpet replacement, varnishing of the wooden rail tops, replacement of obviously worn out furniture and fittings, etc. As you know, there are always painting and maintenance items being addressed, since the ship never sleeps. The two weeks in dry dock give the line a chance to do repairs and upgrades that would be too disruptive to perform while paying passengers are on board. I'm not sure about the TV's. We'll be cruising two weeks after you, so time will tell as to the extent of the work done. Keep her in good shape for us! :)

Eric

Dry dock operations are actually used to scrape, clean and repaint the hull of the ship. This is the main purpose of the dry dock.

That being said, most of the time there are other things that are done as well. Lately, it seems they are replacing pool deck areas as part of the operation.

So far, they have not been replacing the televisions, but that could change.

I seriously doubt you will see the addition of Chops.

We are sailing on the Explorer in June 2010 and I know it is scheduled for dry dock in Jan 2010.

Was wonder what the "typical" dry dock renovations include?

When I was on the ship a few weeks ago the cabins still had the old "tube" TVs, so assume they will be replaced (not that I watch TV or care about such things, just curious)?

Was wondering if furnature is replaced? carpets?

The shipped looked very good, so I'm just curious what they will be doing to make it even better.;)

We did Voyager again for the fourth time in May when she was just out of dry dock. We sailed from Southampton to the Med.

When we boarded the ship it was not finished and we had to put up with work for the whole cruise. Carpets were renewed in restaurants and some cabins. The promenade deck was all stripped and relaid some areas were out of bounds for a time as were the pools.

It was said that one of the reasons for the late finish was the rough crossing of the Bay of Biscay.

Everybody worked hard to rectify things and it was said that they laid the main restaurant carpet in four hours.

When we disembarked, the handrails were still not varnished. As this is my favourite ship it did not bother us too much because as usual most of the guests were brilliant and we had a great time.

One of the improvements was the provision of tea making facilities in the cabins which we thought was great.

Just enjoy the experience.

2003 Radiance Of The Seas 00Southern Caribbean

1111 Brilliance Of The Seas00iMediterranean

2004 Mariner Of The Seas 000 West Caribbean

3333 Sovereign Of The Seas 0 Bahamas

3333 Carnival Destiny 0000000Southern Caribbean

2005 Explorer Of The Seas 00 iWest Caribbean

1111 MSC Opera 0000000000i Mediterranean

0000 MSC Lirica00000000000i Mediterranean

2006 Brilliance Of The Seas00 iPanama

0000 Voyager Of The seas 000Mediterranean

2007 Serenade Of the Seas 00Southern Caribbean

0000 Voyager Of The Seas 00 Mediterranean

0000 MSC Orchestra 000000 0Mediterranean

2008 Costa Atlantica 000000 0Caribbean

0000iVoyager Of The seas000iMediterranean

2009 Emerald Princess000000Caribbean

0000 Voyager Of The Seas00iMediterranean

• 1 month later...
We did Voyager again for the fourth time in May when she was just out of dry dock. We sailed from Southampton to the Med.

When we boarded the ship it was not finished and we had to put up with work for the whole cruise. Carpets were renewed in restaurants and some cabins. The promenade deck was all stripped and relaid some areas were out of bounds for a time as were the pools.

It was said that one of the reasons for the late finish was the rough crossing of the Bay of Biscay.

Everybody worked hard to rectify things and it was said that they laid the main restaurant carpet in four hours.

When we disembarked, the handrails were still not varnished. As this is my favourite ship it did not bother us too much because as usual most of the guests were brilliant and we had a great time.

One of the improvements was the provision of tea making facilities in the cabins which we thought was great.

Just enjoy the experience.

Since I posted this reply we had occasion to contact RCL customer relations about a month ago. During the conversation I brought up the above subject and out of the blue we were offered a £250 future cruise voucher each.

Consequently we are now booked on Voyager in two weeks time in a junior aft suite. :D:D At least we know it's finished now. I don't know of anybody else having these vouchers.

Archived