Aurora pulled a u-turn

frofro

Does anyone know why the Aurora pulled a U-turn on the Hudson River about 5 minutes after leaving port in NYC? I live across from the cruiseport, and in 10 years I have never seen a ship turn back around. It left the berth around 6:30 and 5 minutes later it was turning back with the help of tug boats. It took almost a half hour to turn it around, I'm so curious as to why a ship would do that...figured maybe someone here may know someone on board...:confused:

The P&O Aurora left the New York Cruise Ship Terminal at approx. 6 pm and was steaming back toward the terminal by 6:50 and is now docked there. Does anyone know why the ship has returned?

Jonathan

I just posted this question on P&O AUSTRALIA and Cruise Critic FACEBOOK...I live across from the port, I have never seen a ship that size or any size do this. It was about 5 minutes out when it stopped and started turning. The turn took longer than the time it had traveled. I'm so curious as to what may have happened :confused: There was NYPD boat at the berth but I didnt see any sirens on land...

Does anyone know why the Aurora pulled a U-turn on the Hudson River about 5 minutes after leaving port in NYC? I live across from the cruiseport, and in 10 years I have never seen a ship turn back around. It left the berth around 6:30 and 5 minutes later it was turning back with the help of tug boats. It took almost a half hour to turn it around, I'm so curious as to why a ship would do that...figured maybe someone here may know someone on board...:confused:

Hi Frofro,

This is P&O Australia. Aurora is a P&O UK ship. You might like to try their board.

Cheers

Clive

I just posted this question on P&O AUSTRALIA and Cruise Critic FACEBOOK...I live across from the port, I have never seen a ship that size or any size do this. It was about 5 minutes out when it stopped and started turning. The turn took longer than the time it had traveled. I'm so curious as to what may have happened :confused: There was NYPD boat at the berth but I didnt see any sirens on land...

Hi Frofro,

Yes, I too am baffled. We also live very near the West Side Cruise Ship Terminal and I was shocked to see the Aurora chugging back up the Hudson River again. I hope everything is alright. I wonder if a passenger took ill. Perhaps someone who is aboard will post and shed some light on this affair.

Jonathan

Hi Frofro,

Yes, I too am baffled. We also live very near the West Side Cruise Ship Terminal and I was shocked to see the Aurora chugging back up the Hudson River again. I hope everything is alright. I wonder if a passenger took ill. Perhaps someone who is aboard will post and shed some light on this affair.

Jonathan

That's what I thought too that a passenger had taken ill...for a moment I thought maybe some1 missed the ship, but then I thought NO way would a ship go thru that much trouble to pick up a pasenger..

Or go to another site & its said to be something at the rear - both agree there was smoke / burning / small electrical fire.

Fixed now, but they're waiting for assessor to say ok to sail ....

reading on, they have now left & are on their way to Newport.

Or go to another site & its said to be something at the rear - both agree there was smoke / burning / small electrical fire.

Fixed now, but they're waiting for assessor to say ok to sail ....

reading on, they have now left & are on their way to Newport.

Thanks for the information Karen. I peeked out of the window around midnight last night and just caught a glimpse of the Aurora chugging down the Hudson River, hope she continues a safe voyage thru Canada & New England.

Jonathan

Archived