San Juan, Can I Make a 10:30 a.m. flight?

gxchan

My feeling is yes...Sundays are very busy at SJU. First off you have to hope the ship clears customs without a problem (which sometimes is not the case). Before you check your luggage you have to bring them to be scanned by US Dept of Agriculture and have inspection labels placed on them. Then you have to check your bags, then wait on the security line to have your carry-on check a special machine that sniffs for I guess explosive residue and the metal detector. This whole process takes a while.

Ken, Thanks for bringing up the agricultural inspection, I had no idea there was one. I always do express walk off and have found a flight with one seat (a middle one, yuck!) leaving at 11:40 a.m. but I'm going to keep looking to see if there are alternatives.

Gonzo70, have you cruised on Adventure from San Juan before? I'm wondering because RCCL said 11:30 was the earliest flight time but real experience is always a better indicator of what is necessary.

Thanks!

I'm thinking our experience in San Juan must have been very unique. I wouldn't count on this. We did the airline check-in so had our boarding passes in our cabin the night before. We are Platinum, so we were allowed to wait in the dining room. They took off Diamond Plus and then Diamond and then us. We walked right off the ship. Grabbed our luggage. Went through Customs which consisted of showing our passports while we walked by the agent, took our bags to the American luggage check in at the pier, walked outside and got a cab and went to the airport. Since we were off the ship so fast, we were one of the first people through security. We were sitting at the gate waiting on our 12:20 flight at 9 AM. Would I count on that ever happening again? No. We were lucky. Even though we sat at the airport for hours, I would never book a 10:30 AM flight. Flights out of San Juan are so limited now that we have decided to spend a night post cruise also and take an early flight home on Monday.

Mary,

Thanks so much for the first hand experience. LOL, when I was reading your post it made me remember disembarking from Voyager. We docked a few minutes after 6 a.m. and I was at the airport, sitting at my gate at 7 a.m. My filght didn't leave until 10:40 and like you I felt it was better to be there early than late.

LOL, I realize the airlines don't schedule their flights based on cruise ship schedules but I have to wonder why they have so many flights at 10:30-ish and then a big hole in time before the next bunch of flights. Darn. I really want to go on Adventure but taking a later flight will increase my door-to-door travel time to 20 hours, as opposed to 14-15 hours.

Which hotel did you stay at in San Juan. At the least I'll need one for the night before the cruise and if the price is reasonable, maybe I'll stay one night after, too.

I would say try for a flight around noon. Did the Serenade in January. Walked into the airport for our luggage tags, got them, and then was told about the Ag inspection. We had to drag our bags back outside, once the inspection was over, we went back to the ticket counter. Got our tags, and headed to security. Approx 10 minutes later we were enjoying our final cocktails in paridise. We were at the gate at 930 for a noonish flight.

We had no wait in the Ag inspection line, and less then 5 at the ticket counter. I could see that being a whole lot worse at a busy time.

I'm thinking our experience in San Juan must have been very unique. I wouldn't count on this. We did the airline check-in so had our boarding passes in our cabin the night before. We are Platinum, so we were allowed to wait in the dining room. They took off Diamond Plus and then Diamond and then us. We walked right off the ship. Grabbed our luggage. Went through Customs which consisted of showing our passports while we walked by the agent, took our bags to the American luggage check in at the pier, walked outside and got a cab and went to the airport. Since we were off the ship so fast, we were one of the first people through security. We were sitting at the gate waiting on our 12:20 flight at 9 AM. Would I count on that ever happening again? No. We were lucky. Even though we sat at the airport for hours, I would never book a 10:30 AM flight. Flights out of San Juan are so limited now that we have decided to spend a night post cruise also and take an early flight home on Monday.

Mary, I just caught that you handed your bags over to American Airlines at the pier. When was this and what about the agricultural check, did they do that at the pier, as well?

I'm thinking with express walk off and checking my bag in at the pier I could make the 11:40 flight.

Thanks!

I would say try for a flight around noon. Did the Serenade in January. Walked into the airport for our luggage tags, got them, and then was told about the Ag inspection. We had to drag our bags back outside, once the inspection was over, we went back to the ticket counter. Got our tags, and headed to security. Approx 10 minutes later we were enjoying our final cocktails in paridise. We were at the gate at 930 for a noonish flight.

We had no wait in the Ag inspection line, and less then 5 at the ticket counter. I could see that being a whole lot worse at a busy time.

Were you flying out on a Sunday? Someone said the airport isn't crowded on Sundays so you can zip right through.

Thanks!

We have gone out of SJU numerous times. Last year we went out 1st week in Oct, and had 10AM flt, the year before it was Sept with a 10:30 flt. and made them no problem. If this was a cruise between Nov and May, I would say do not even chance it. Since it is Sept. and probably one of the slowest weeks, you should be fine. At the most there may be only one other ship in port. (its off season) Just get off the ship asap. Print your boarding passes the night before if possible, so you are checked in. If you are off the ship by 8, you will be at the airport before 9. This will give you enough time. The USDA check will take about 5 mins at the most. The airport at this time of year is not that busy, especially earlier in the morning.

The only problem I could see is if the ship doesn't clear customs in time, or possibly bad weather could delay it getting into port.

Just have a back up plan if it doesn't work out. Make sure you know your airlines rules if you miss. Will they charge you a change fee (Some Do, some don't) Check the later flights with your airline and see how full they are, at least this can tell you how long you may be stuck there if you miss the flight, and what your expenses may be.

If you can handle the consequenses of a missed flight, then go for it. If you don't have the stomach, time, or the $$ for it, then don't.

You don't have to take your bags through the agricultural inspection if you leave your stateroom tags on your luggage all week. Those prove that you are coming from a ship, and not a stay in San Juan. You can by-pass the agricultural line. ;) Same goes if you use the airline check-in at the pier.

I want to book Adventure for September 20. There is a flight home on September 27 that leaves at 10:30 a.m., we dock at 7 a.m. Is the 10:30 flight cutting it too close?

Thanks,

That airport is quite busy, and the workers there are NOT in the biggest hurry (island time I guess?) if you know what I mean. Have a "plan B" if my advice

You don't have to take your bags through the agricultural inspection if you leave your stateroom tags on your luggage all week. Those prove that you are coming from a ship, and not a stay in San Juan. You can by-pass the agricultural line. ;) Same goes if you use the airline check-in at the pier.

I don't believe this is correct any longer..."IF" you do the luggage valet then yes...you don't have your bags so you don't do the ag inspection...but even with the ship luggage tags left on I have read they are making you do the ag inspection now..

OP..I'm pretty sure the earliest flight you can use the pier checkin..or luggage valet is 11:30.. which wouldn't work for your 10:30 flight...

I don't believe this is correct any longer..."IF" you do the luggage valet then yes...you don't have your bags so you don't do the ag inspection...but even with the ship luggage tags left on I have read they are making you do the ag inspection now..

OP..I'm pretty sure the earliest flight you can use the pier checkin..or luggage valet is 11:30.. which wouldn't work for your 10:30 flight...

Thanks! Have not heard that. I have recently been reading about it, and didn't know you could by-pass with the tags. I have been making a mental note to stop DH from ripping off the tags (which is the first thing he does when we get our luggage in the stateroom) so that we can by-pass the ag line. Doesn't matter since I think we are going to take advantage of the valet service. Our flight doesn't leave until after 1:00. Still trying to find out if this service is free for suite passengers. it says "complimentary valet luggage". Anyone know?

Gonzo70, have you cruised on Adventure from San Juan before? I'm wondering because RCCL said 11:30 was the earliest flight time but real experience is always a better indicator of what is necessary.

Thanks!

Yes. Although if everything runs on time, a late morning flight is possible, but I prefer to build in wiggle room. Ships sometimes arrive late, and more often ships are delayed clearing customs. During the past 1-2 years airlines have been decreasing the number of flights out of San Juan to U.S. Whereas if you miss a flight in Miami, chances are you will be able to get on another flight sooner rather than later, missing a flight out of San Juan might mean being stuck for a day or two. Also airlines can charge full fare for a new ticket if you miss the flight - they do not have to allow you to go stand by for free on a later flight. As such, I prefer to build in extra wiggle room when flying from outside the continental U.S. I'd rather be able to debark the ship not in a rush and spend a couple hours reading or what not at the airport and not have to worry about possibly missing my flight should a delay pop up. Most of the time you will make a late morning flight, but there are potentially major negative consequences if something happens that causes you to miss a late morning flight. It all depends on your risk taking comfort level.

CruisinManiac, you do have to go through for agricultural inspection regardless.

We were on the Serenade 3/2009 and had a flight to DFW at 1 or 2:00. When we arrived at the airport around 9:30, we asked if anything was available on the 10:30 flight and if we could fly standby. The flight was almost empty because everyone is afraid to book a flight that early. We were able to get the same great seats (Row 9) and six others in our party were able to board the same flight. So, you may want to inquire before you check your baggage on your original flight!

We were on AOS on the 8/30 sailing and originally had a 2:00 something connecting flight back to EWR on 9/6. We decided to try for an earlier one. Left the ship at around 8:20, got to the air port before 9 and were able to get the 10:29 to JFK. No traffic, no line at FDA scanner and no line at security. Maybe we were lucky.

Mary,

Thanks so much for the first hand experience. LOL, when I was reading your post it made me remember disembarking from Voyager. We docked a few minutes after 6 a.m. and I was at the airport, sitting at my gate at 7 a.m. My filght didn't leave until 10:40 and like you I felt it was better to be there early than late.

LOL, I realize the airlines don't schedule their flights based on cruise ship schedules but I have to wonder why they have so many flights at 10:30-ish and then a big hole in time before the next bunch of flights. Darn. I really want to go on Adventure but taking a later flight will increase my door-to-door travel time to 20 hours, as opposed to 14-15 hours.

Which hotel did you stay at in San Juan. At the least I'll need one for the night before the cruise and if the price is reasonable, maybe I'll stay one night after, too.

Sorry. Just got back to the boards again. We stayed at the Marriott Stellaris and are staying there again in December. Loved it!!

Mary, I just caught that you handed your bags over to American Airlines at the pier. When was this and what about the agricultural check, did they do that at the pier, as well?

I'm thinking with express walk off and checking my bag in at the pier I could make the 11:40 flight.

Thanks!

I have no idea what the agricultural check is. We didn't have to do that. I guess because we did the luggage valet option. I've never heard of it until I read this thread.

Returned from Adventure of Seas on 9/6/09. We had no problem with a 10:50am flight with plenty of time to spare. I was also very worried about making this flight. Below are the things we did to ensure there would be no problems making our flight.

The day we boarded we went to the purser desk and told them our flight time. They arranged for us to be the first off the ship. We meet at 7:00am and we off at 7:30am and we did not carry our luggage. We got a porter who took us and baggage through customs (we tipped of course) and it was worth every penny. We bi-passed a long line of others going through customs. The porter then got us a cab and we were at the airport at 8:10am. We then took our baggage through the agriculture machine. Luckily, someone in line told us to do this, not the airline. Our only hold up was the ticket counter, we were on United, and they did not have a full staff checking in passengers until 8:30am. Even with that hold up we were at the gate at 9:00am. I found the airport was not crowed at this early time. Maybe we were lucky we had no hold up. We also were on Adventure in Sept 2008 and had a noon flight did not leave the ship until 9:00am and had plenty of time to spare. PS Royal Caribbean suggests departure flights out of San Juan are not scheduled before 11:00am.

I hope this helps.

Sunrocket

Archived