When you use your soda sticker, are they nice to you?

S&S Cruisers 1983

We have purchased soda stickers for all our cruises. Almost every time we use them, the person serving the soda seems to not want to serve us. It seems that if they get to know you and that you are using a soda sticker, they even ignore you.

On our last cruise in November I asked the hotel director about this and he said they are aware of the situation and are working to make it better. Has anyone else noticed this or noticed an improvement? I don't know whether to purchase them for our upcoming cruise if it hasn't improved. It's not like we are asking for a free soda, we paid for a service they offer.

We have purchased soda stickers for all our cruises. Almost every time we use them' date=' the person serving the soda seems to not want to serve us. It seems that if they get to know you and that you are using a soda sticker, they even ignore you.

On our last cruise in November I asked the hotel director about this and he said they are aware of the situation and are working to make it better. Has anyone else noticed this or noticed an improvement? I don't know whether to purchase them for our upcoming cruise if it hasn't improved. It's not like we are asking for a free soda, we paid for a service they offer.[/quote']

Unfortunately, they already have your money and you've already tipped them when you bought the card. They are now looking for new customers. It shouldn't be that way, but there's no incentive for them. JMHO.

DT

Unfortunately, they already have your money and you've already tipped them when you bought the card. They are now looking for new customers. It shouldn't be that way, but there's no incentive for them. JMHO.

DT

Wow, that's never been my experience. I've always been treated very well and none have ever been anything but happy and wonderful to me. :confused:

We've used them on all of our cruises and never felt that way. I think on our last cruise that they had less servers then previous cruises, so it was a little longer finding a server.

This might be a silly question but do you ask for the soda first and then show them your card or show the card first? Maybe that would make a difference.

This might be a silly question but do you ask for the soda first and then show them your card or show the card first? Maybe that would make a difference.

You have to show them the card first as it is only for fountain drinks, if you pay then you get a can.

I show them the card and ask for a Coke.

I've only bought the sticker once, this past January on the Pearl, and I had nothing but friendly service. I was given a 'coke' travel cup, and if I wanted a server to have it filled for me, I would just pick it up and catch their eye and they would smile and come over and get it. Most of the time I'm a 'self-server' though - including when I buy alcohol. I got into the habit years ago because I hate waiting and wondering when a server will be back - even the best servers can be held up by other customers.

With regard to the soda card, I'm probably even more inclined to self serve, also, because if a server brings it to me, I feel like I should tip them - they had nothing to do with my purchase and didn't get a tip when I bought it, but they're the one schlepping it back and forth - and if I'm going to tip for every refill, I might as well buy them one at a time. To be clear, I do tip bartenders when they mix a drink for me - but when they just throw some ice in my cup and squirt soda into it, I don't.

You have to show them the card first as it is only for fountain drinks, if you pay then you get a can.

I show them the card and ask for a Coke.

I get their attention first, ask for a soda, and show them the card if they ask for it.

I do show the card first, maybe I should ask first, then show them the card.

I've only bought the sticker once, this past January on the Pearl, and I had nothing but friendly service. I was given a 'coke' travel cup, and if I wanted a server to have it filled for me, I would just pick it up and catch their eye and they would smile and come over and get it. Most of the time I'm a 'self-server' though - including when I buy alcohol. I got into the habit years ago because I hate waiting and wondering when a server will be back - even the best servers can be held up by other customers.

With regard to the soda card, I'm probably even more inclined to self serve, also, because if a server brings it to me, I feel like I should tip them - they had nothing to do with my purchase and didn't get a tip when I bought it, but they're the one schlepping it back and forth - and if I'm going to tip for every refill, I might as well buy them one at a time. To be clear, I do tip bartenders when they mix a drink for me - but when they just throw some ice in my cup and squirt soda into it, I don't.

I'm confused, how do you self serve soda???

I'm confused' date=' how do you self serve soda???[/quote']

TrentS got it right. I go to the bar rather than having a server do it for me. As I said, I do it all the time; not only is it generally a LOT faster, it gives me a chance to walk around and mingle, since I'm not much of a sitter. It also means I can go dance or otherwise leave my seat without having to worry that a server will be bringing me a drink and needing payment (or a signature on a ship).

My son had a soda sticker and my daughter a soda band (she is 11) on our last cruise on the Spirit. The kids were always able to get soda from the servers even if the adults were not ordering anything.

One example was when my daughter ordered a soda before a show in the theater. My wife and I ordered nothing. I said to my wife that my daughter was not going to get her drink. It was crowded and the bar staff were getting lots of requests. The server came back with the drink for her and another for her brother.

I was very pleased with the bar staff and how they followed through with orders from our kids who had a soda card.

On NCL does the soda sticker get you Pepsi fountain drinks or cans??? Also, what type of soda is included?

The sticker is for fountain soda and it will be Pepsi products and seltzer water.

My kids never had any trouble getting a soda with the sticker from the waitstaff or the bartenders.

This has been our experience with NCL and the soda stickers - on our first 2 cruises with NCL (both out of NYC on the Dawn and Spirit) there was absolutely no problem using the card with the sticker at bars or even the waiter service. However, on the Jade (Mediterrean cruise last December) when you bought the soda card you also got a "soda cup" - well they really gave my friend a hard time when he wanted a soda (even showing the card) because he did not have the cup with him - he is a grown man who is certainly not going to carry a drinking cup around the ship - he had to put his foot down firmly on more than one occasion to get his soda.

My kids had no problems on the GEM or the DAWN--never got the insulated soda cup on the GEM (also a MED cruise), possibly because our TA bought it for them. No problems at dinner, at any bar or by the pool. My DD even commented about how much better it was that she had the card, and all her friends at the teen club envied her because her service was so much faster than having to sign every time.

ON the DAWN, I ordered the soda for my DD, and a drink for myself at the pool bar, and from the servers--no problem then either!

Thanks everyone for your input. Seems to be more people have a good experience than a bad one using the stickers.

We have never tried to use the soda card other than walking up to the bar and asking for a soda. That's where we get the attitude. We are extremely pleased with all of the service that we have recieved on our cruises, EXCEPT for the soda card service (however, it would never spoil our cruise :D). Maybe I could understand if we just sat back and asked them to bring it to us. But that's not the case.

Archived