Dining on the Paul Gauguin

ILoveMyDogs

Currently, you have four choices for dining on the PG. L'Etoile is the main dining room with open seating and a changing menu day to day. You can sit by yourself, with friends or take pot luck with dining companions. Two wines. We like this choice and enjoyed the food.

La Veranda is the reservations only restaurant with a fixed menu. Nice but we like meeting new folks at dinner so we have rarely gone here.

Le Grill is up on the deck near the pool. You also need to make reservations for dining here. Alot of folks like it best but we have only had luch and breakfast here.

Fourth choice is room service. I think you can get most anything you want from room service and some folks like it especially served on the balcony.

Always remember, if you really want something ask for it. I have seen folks eating lobster every night and I have seen them preparing lobster dinners on the galley tour for room service.

Yes, for the reservation system is the same. Who knows how PG Cruises will handle it when they take over in January.

Remember that if you want to special order lobster or some other treat, do so the night before, just talk to the maitre'd.

As for the two wines, you can ask for an alternate wine if you don't care for what they are pouring that night. And the wines will change nightly.

Le Grill is perfect for a romantic, intimate dinner, outdoors but protected from the wind and rain (although in violent weather they will close it). Great for breakfast and lunch too, unless it's too hot, in which case you can have a very nice lunch in La Veranda. The La Veranda dinner menu is supposed to be a little more "haute" than L'Etoile. I guess it is, it's very nice, but L'Etoile has great food too. We dined at La Veranda several times with other people that we met on board.

There's also a beach picnic at the motu, on motu day (Mahana). Hamburgers, hotdogs, mahi mahi burgers, poisson crue (like ceviche.)

Lots of great fish.

Yes, for the reservation system is the same. Who knows how PG Cruises will handle it when they take over in January.

Remember that if you want to special order lobster or some other treat, do so the night before, just talk to the maitre'd.

As for the two wines, you can ask for an alternate wine if you don't care for what they are pouring that night. And the wines will change nightly.

Le Grill is perfect for a romantic, intimate dinner, outdoors but protected from the wind and rain (although in violent weather they will close it). Great for breakfast and lunch too, unless it's too hot, in which case you can have a very nice lunch in La Veranda. The La Veranda dinner menu is supposed to be a little more "haute" than L'Etoile. I guess it is, it's very nice, but L'Etoile has great food too. We dined at La Veranda several times with other people that we met on board.

There's also a beach picnic at the motu, on motu day (Mahana). Hamburgers, hotdogs, mahi mahi burgers, poisson crue (like ceviche.)

Lots of great fish.

On our first night we dined in La Veranda and I asked Criag, the maitre 'd when they would have lobster on the menu. He explained they were picking it up in two days. Two days later he called us to say the chef had rejected the lobsters as not meeting his standards and it would be another two days (with great apologies.) So, two days later Craig called to say the lobster was lovely and asked if we preferred to dine in La Veranda or L'Ettoile, or perhaps we wanted our lobster in the suite? We had lobster 5 times in the remaining 12 days and it was wonderful! The first time the chef came out to ask if we enjoyed it and to discuss it's preperation (that night he used a savory vanilla sauce!)

Our first night in Compass Rose I asked for sauted spiniach and it was served with a smile. Every night after our waiter asked me quietly if I would like spinach that evening . . . and when I declined he offered me, as he put it, "perhaps some asperagus? Brocolli? And would Mrs. like a special potato dish?"

It's just that kind of ship. Please, thank you and a smile go forever =)

Ahh, me too (I mean that smile! ) Craig, I had forgotten his name, great maitre'd.

When we were onboard (Brisbane - Papeete) Criag did a vodka tasting which was fun, informative, fun, informative (did I already say that? Must be remembering the 6th vodka we tasted =) Hiccup!

We had two Valentine Days on the voyage, and La Veranda was booked! I called Craig to see if there was anything he could do. He called back and said he had worked it out; he said the table wasn't one of his favorites but it was the best he could do. Of course we were very pleased --- especially when we arrived and he said someone had accepted an invitation to dine with an officer so one of his favorite tables had opened up, and he led us to it =)

I have to get this website blocked on my computer. Just the description of getting the lobster gives me Tahitian Flu symptoms. I wish I could take advantage of the great deal offered on the December 28 cruise.

It always seemed to me that when you made a special request, they really appreciated the opportunity to do something special for you.

Archived