How much "partying" on 4-5 day cruises?

pseudochicken

Do you like a party atmosphere while cruising?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like a party atmosphere while cruising?

• Hell yes!
    • Kinda. A little partying is always nice.
    • Partying!? Why, in my day in age, we'd never ... (aka NO!)

How much partying is there on a shorter 4 to 5 day cruise. I'm considering a cruise just after New Years 2010, on either a 4 day cruise on the Imagination or a 5 day cruise on the Triumph.

Do shorter cruises typically have more party goers or is that an unfounded rumor? I'd prefer more peace and quiet, but to be honest I am not sure I going to get that anyway on Carnival. Carnival is much more affordable at the moment, so I really don't have a choice. Not that Carnival is bad... it's nothing personal but I don't like that "party crowd".

How much partying is there on a shorter 4 to 5 day cruise. I'm considering a cruise just after New Years 2010, on either a 4 day cruise on the Imagination or a 5 day cruise on the Triumph.

Do shorter cruises typically have more party goers or is that an unfounded rumor? I'd prefer more peace and quiet, but to be honest I am not sure I going to get that anyway on Carnival. Carnival is much more affordable at the moment, so I really don't have a choice. Not that Carnival is bad... it's nothing personal but I don't like that "party crowd".

less nights=less $$

less $$ = more alcohol smugglers

more alcohol smugglers = more party!!!!!!

Party! Party! Party! Party!

it REALLY depends on the people that book the same cruise you do...

and there's no steadfast rules at play here.

the week AFTER new years, is not going to be a peak booking period for the people just looking to party...

but, there will likely be a larger amount of said people, on a 4-5 night cruise, than a 7 night or greater.

BUT, it really is subjective. don't think it's just a given... there's no entirely true or factual response to your question. moreover, just reflections on personal experiences, which likely won't sync with your own personal experience.

i know that doesn't specifically help, but imo, there's no real answer to your question. it depends. :D

and, it's a big ship... no matter what class... you can find somewhere you appreciate, regardless. don't worry about it. :)

While Carnival can always be counted on to deliver a FUN experience, the general rule is that the longer the cruise, the less of the "we're only here to party" crowd you're likely to encounter. We just sailed for a week on the Splendor and I would say it had lots of opportunities for people who wanted to party -- but lots of quiet spots for those looking for something more sedate. Whatever you choose to do, DO NOT choose a stateroom directly above the deck where all of the clubs are.

What we have noticed is that on shorter cruises, the 'crowd' tends to have more young people. I suppose that leads to more partying, but they are also more fun to observe! I liked to 'party hardy' in my younger days. Takes too long to recover now, so while we have a good time, none of the "wild stuff" anymore....................

It also depends on the particular crowd for the cruise. We did a B2B on the Fantasy and one cruise was very subdued while the other was pretty intense.

I mostly cruise out of New Orleans, but I have noticed on the 4 day over the weekend cruise often has a serious party problem. Same ship on a 5 day over the week, still people having a good time, but much less obnoxious behavior.

To be honest, on my last two cruises, it was wedding parties that had the biggest jerks. One there was a fight between the bride and groom because he thought she was being a little too chummy with a couple of the males in the party. I had thought so too. In fact, I had wondered several times how the groom did not see what was going on. He did, but it took him 3 days. I was half expecting one of them to go overboard before we made it back in. They didn't, but they were not speaking to each other by the time we got back to New Orleans. I wonder how it turned out in the end.

it REALLY depends on the people that book the same cruise you do...

and there's no steadfast rules at play here.

the week AFTER new years, is not going to be a peak booking period for the people just looking to party...

but, there will likely be a larger amount of said people, on a 4-5 night cruise, than a 7 night or greater.

BUT, it really is subjective. don't think it's just a given... there's no entirely true or factual response to your question. moreover, just reflections on personal experiences, which likely won't sync with your own personal experience.

i know that doesn't specifically help, but imo, there's no real answer to your question. it depends. :D

and, it's a big ship... no matter what class... you can find somewhere you appreciate, regardless. don't worry about it. :)

Thanks for your response anyway. I see what you're saying. I've never done the short cruise thing, so I really have no clue what to expect on the party scene. I hope to see very little.

I believe I made a post about this earlier, but the short cruise fell through and we didn't book it. This new opportunity arose so we may actually go this time. That is, if it beats out a hotel stay before Christmas in Ft. Lauderdale. And that's if a vacation beats out saving money and not going anywhere... But I'd give it good odds that we end up going. :D

We did a 5 day on the Fantasy in June and I did not notice any more partying than on 7 day cruises. The Fantasy cruise was a Monday to Saturday.

I am sure there were people partying, we just didn't go to those areas. Went to the Serenity deck, not the main pool, very nice, very quiet. We did the piano bar one night but it was early and no one was there yet, so again very nice. We were on the Lido one night, sitting in some lounge chairs, watching people, no partying. It was a very nice cruise.

We had an aft cabin and other than a two year old running in the hall it was very quiet. I looked out the cabin door to see who was running and I think the parents got the hint and I did not hear him again. You can get hall noises in hotels and I have never had a real problem with that on any of my cruises.

You can certainly find peace and quiet on a Carnival cruise, you just need to know where to look.

I just did a 4 day and I would say there was a good mix of all kinds of people. If I felt like partying (which I only felt like 1 night) the clubs on board were jumping. But if I wanted more quiet, I could always find a nice quiet spot on the lido deck. If I was looking for something in between the two, I could find that as well. But I just may have picked the right cruise with the right mix of people for that to happen.

Since you haven't cruised Carnival since 1998, you must have been listening to all those people who say Carnival is nothing but a big bunch of drunks. Sorry, they are wrong.

Carnival is a very good value for the money. If you sail off peak periods, the ships are loaded with responsible adults. A five day cruise generally sails on a Sat-Mon which means people have to take vacation time from work. If they want to party, they do the 3 or 4 day weekend cruises.

I just did the 4 day route on the Imagination two weeks ago. It wasn't bad at all. The clubs were going well into the night and there was a lot of activity, but I didn't notice anything extreme. It really is a crapshoot on what the crowd will be like. There are so many factors including time of year. However, since the 4 day Imagination cruise runs Mon-Fri i think the crowd is a little more subdued. I would think the 3 day weekend cruise that follows would be a different story.

All very interesting. I think it would be interesting to go on a 3-day party cruise. The problem is I can't simply do that from NJ. I would miss 2 days of work flying to and from the embarkation port alone.

Oiy. Thanks again!

Now, I have another question for you all, if you don't mind.

My gf and I will more than likely be booking an oceanview room, no matter what. Is it worth cruising one less day and saving around $300 to sail on the Imagination? Or should I fork out the extra dough and sail for 5 nights on the Triumph? Never been on that class of ship, but it's harder getting to and from New Orleans. Plus, I don't know how great a port of call Progresso is...

The Carnival 3 dayers definitely still live up to being the party ships;) And that is no myth.........

As far as saving money going on a shorter cruise.......only you and your budget can answer that one....personally if I was sailing on the Triumph I would spring for a balcony cabin..........

The Carnival 3 dayers definitely still live up to being the party ships;) And that is no myth.........

As far as saving money going on a shorter cruise.......only you and your budget can answer that one....personally if I was sailing on the Triumph I would spring for a balcony cabin..........

You bring up an excellent point...

If I were to book the Triumph, it would be a mere $40 more TOTAL to get a balcony...

So it basically comes down to is $350 worth a balcony and an extra day at sea? Or could I spend that $350 on excursions on Cozumel and shopping. Though I don't shop much at all, my GF does a little...

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions! Part of me feels bad for taking a cruise. I don't want to be considered a cruise junky that only goes on cruises for vacations. I really DO love cruise ships, but I like the adventure part to it. The huge mammoth ship moving in the ocean part. The tropical destinations and the new experiences part. I do NOT like the old hat parts: the bingo or the silly hairy chest and belly flop contests or the fony-baloni cruise director part.

Just give me a relatively large, luxury ship, some interesting destinations, nice weather and active things to do that are new and off the beaten path.

Sorry for my rant...:D

Archived