Western Caribbean vs Eastern Caribbean opinions please

2TNCruisers

We are looking to book a 7 day cruise with stops at Cozumel, Isla Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. This will be our first Western trip. For those of you who have done both eastern and western, which is your fave and why? Also, if we don't snorkel or scuba dive, will there be things for us to do at these ports?

We have loved both our Eastern experiences, esp. St. Maarten and Dominican Republic. Figured it was time to try Western, but I can't imagine it being more beautiful than what we've seen already.

Thanks for your insights!

We have enjoy a couple cruises to the Western Caribbean and have loved them both. We enjoyed the Myan Ruins on both cruises. We've gone to 3 different ruins and they have all been worth the time it takes to visit them. We are going on the Eastern Caribbean on the Dream in Feb and looking forward to seeing those Island too. YOu'll have a great time no matter which you choose!!!!

I'll be doing those exact ports in March on the Carnival Dream! :D

I've done both Eastern and Western - both are beautiful! I can't say which is better because they are both great!

I don't do those kinds of activities either and have already been doing my research of things hubby and I would like to do.

So far our ideas are....

Cozumel: Nachi Cocum Beach Club (we did Playa Mia back in '08, wasn't to impressed, so we're giving this place a try - it gets great reviews from other members!)

Roatan: We'll either do a private Free Style tour with Rony (check out www.ronystours.com OR the Carnival Beach Day

Belize: Either Altun Ha & Belize City tour (mayan ruins) OR the Belize Zoo & City Tour both through Carnival

Costa Maya: We're going to do the Jungle Beach Break through Carnival

When are you going? Have fun! :)

Depends on what your definition is for Eastern.

Typically, Eastern cruises mean St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau (even though that's not in the Caribbean) and some Bahaman private island. Maybe San Juan, Antigua, St. Kitts or Croix thrown in.

To me, St. Thomas and St. Maarten are BORING. Same old, same old. Those islands are really touristy with a bunch of oversized women in moo-moo's going down the pier 100 yards in oversized golf-cart trains to go to oversized duty free shops that were built as an extention of the pier.

The towns are a little more interesting to explore, but it is all very touristy.

While Western ports are touristy as well, they have something more alluring about them, depsite being flatter and less exotic looking. There are the Mesoamerican ruins (Postclassic Mayan, mostly). There are some new, interesting ports that aren't as developed.

I prefer Western and Southern Caribbean cruises. Southern Caribbean places don't have the ancient ruins, but they do have a more rustic, adventurous feel. And the islands there are much more beautiful, with lush vegitation and tropical rain forests on old volcanic islands.

Unfortunately, all the itineraries have oversized women in moo-moo's somewhere. I guess that's apart of cruising...

To me, it goes like this: Southern > Western > Eastern

In my mind the Eastern cruises are prettier, tamer - more touristly less adventurous - they do have beautiful beaches and lots of stuff to do and see. I usually recommend Eastern to 1st time cruisers.

I also love Western itineraries - and find them a bit 'wilder' more off the beaten track, less commerical (okay except for Grand Cayman - and I could miss Jamaica).....and love the 'indiana jones' feel of some of the excursions in Belize and Roatan..... I also love beaches and snorkelling and visiting new places so it fits the bill as well.

I think it all depends on what you like to do. We were on the Legend in February, did the Western side and did the itinerary (except for Costa Maya) you are thinking about. We have been to the Western many times before, but not to Roatan or Belize so it was different for us. In Cozumel we swam with the dolphins, in Belize we had a fabulous day at Bannister Island and our favorite Stop and excursion was Honduras, where we took a horseback ride all around the island, including the beach. It was fabulous.

Like others said, it depends on what your looking for. The Eastern usually gives you an extra day at sea, so if you would prefer to spend that time exploring the ship rather than an Port of Call that could be a consideration too.

Whatever you decide on, have a great time:p

We're planning a trip on the Dream in early 2011 for our 20th Anniv. I know, it's way early, but I need something to look forward to, and planning it is almost as fun for me as actually going!:o

Hubby is really into history and loves museums and old towns, so I try to find places that have a lot of things he'd be interested in. We enjoy the beach stops as well.

InHeavenOnEarth4, I can't wait to hear about your experiences, so be sure and post after your cruise is over. Your excursions sound like a lot of fun!

Pseudochicken, I can see where you'd get bored going to the same places again and again. I'm that way with Nassau. It was our first trip to St. Maarten, and we love orient beach. The Dominican Republic port was the most "foreign" that we've experienced and we loved it. I also really enjoyed San Juan, as it was our first time there.

PROCRUISE, your jeep safari sounds like a lot of fun.

You guys make me want to take a "19th anniv. cruise" instead!

preparing for the cruise is part of the cruise experience for us..

after doing countless hrs. researching the ship, port of calls, hotels, flights, what to buy :p what to pack..it s seem s like we ve been there befor..

not really..but, you get the idea..

We're planning a trip on the Dream in early 2011 for our 20th Anniv. I know, it's way early, but I need something to look forward to, and planning it is almost as fun for me as actually going!:o

Hubby is really into history and loves museums and old towns, so I try to find places that have a lot of things he'd be interested in. We enjoy the beach stops as well.

InHeavenOnEarth4, I can't wait to hear about your experiences, so be sure and post after your cruise is over. Your excursions sound like a lot of fun!

Pseudochicken, I can see where you'd get bored going to the same places again and again. I'm that way with Nassau. It was our first trip to St. Maarten, and we love orient beach. The Dominican Republic port was the most "foreign" that we've experienced and we loved it. I also really enjoyed San Juan, as it was our first time there.

PROCRUISE, your jeep safari sounds like a lot of fun.

You guys make me want to take a "19th anniv. cruise" instead!

If your husband likes history, go WESTERN definitely. Man, I miss cruising... The thought of the open ocean and the destinations awaiting is just so exciting as the ship first pulls out of port! Ha ha! i miss it.... :( I should book one.

Archived