NCL-Sun Review

I am so thankful that I did not cruise the Sun on the January 1st sailing. My wife and I cruised the January 8th sailing and none of the negatives mentioned above occurred for us. I responded to this post prior to my cruise and now have the opportunity to respond yet again in an even more positive way. The buffet food is average, but the balance of our meals were fantastic. The staff was possibly the most pleasant of any of our prior cruises (including Celebrity), far from robotic. What a difference a week makes!!!

The original poster was on the cruise before the Jan 1 sailing. I was on the Jan 1 sailing. We had picture perfect weather the whole week. We had other problems, but not weather ones. I thought Roatan was wonderful. WE took the ship's tour to Tabyana Beach. WE don't usually take a ship's tour, but on this island after seeing some of the reviews we thought it best. Anyway it was wonderful! Belize I'm not sure I would want to return to, but it's probly because I had a bad experience with an independent tour I booked, but you never know. Next year I may decide to try it again. GC and Cozimel were standard stops. In fact in Cozimel we didn't get off the ship, we stayed on board and enjoyed the scenery and quiet of an almost empty ship. We thought the food and service was the best we only had slow service one night, the last, but hay we're on vacation. Who cares? It just gave Dh and I more time to spend together.

Our only problem with the cruise was the unsupervised children running around the ship at all hours of the day and night. Across the hall were four boys in a stateroom alone. Ages were 7 to 10. That was a nightmare. Finally I reported it to the front desk and it quieted down after that. I couldn't ask them to keep it down, because they didn't speak english!

I'm sorry the original poster didn't have a great time. It's a shame the sun is a beautiful ship and so clean.... Both DH and I were very impressed with how clean that ship was. At one point we even saw a crewman wiping down the wall above the railing. Any way I hope the original poster has a better cruise next year.

Hflors, I don't know how to input a quote. My last post was more in response to another poster, Netcomm, who did travel the January 1 cruise as you did. They questioned the food and the staff. I had no problems with the food (I realize it's a subjective opinion) or the staff which was possibly the best I have experienced.

I think it's good to see everyone's opinion of thier cruise, bad or good. I read them all with a grain of salt, but also absorb the useful information to prepare me for what may or not happen when we leave for our first cruise.

It's better to know what may happen so you can prepare yourself on the best ways to proceed, or have a back-up plan in mind. I've been researching our pending cruise a bit, and I didn't take into account that a port of call may be completely removed from the itinerary. Now I know. We'll have books, DVD's, mini-discs loaded with music, and each others company should we remain on the ship, and make the best of it.

I knew sea-sickness is a possibility, but having never suffered any car sickness as a child or anything close, I didn't think I would need any prescription patches or pills. Now that I'm aware of how rough the seas can be, I'll be better prepared for such an eventuality.

Apost10093's post took a lot of heat, but you can learn a lot from the unhappy customers as well as the ones that were satisfied. If his post was overly negative, it shouldn't recieve any more attention than the ones that are overly positive. Everyone should be able to decipher the ones that are on the bitter side, as well as the ones that are sugar-coated, but all have something to offer.

I am glad you made the most of your situation and sorry NCL didn't live up to your expectations, but that's why there are many lines out there. What suits one person to a tee leaves the next person cold. I do have one question: if you have never cruised before how would you know how the ship was run? What part, other than the food did you feel was run poorly? I am only asking cause this usually is not a complaint people have with NCL. They have some complaints, but this isn't one of them. Bad weather for almost an entire week can throw any business off it's rock a bit. NMnita

I know how the ship was run because I was on the ship. I was there. When you miss a port because your late and then blame it on "rough seas" this is incompetence. People tendered out to the ship both at 9:30 am and 2:00 pm. So weather obviously was not the issue. When staff can't answer questions about things on their own ship, that's being run poorly. When the ship doesn't maitain its own equipment, that's being run poorly (even when you bring the maintainence issue to their attention, and still nothing is done.)

I know how the ship was run because I was on the ship. I was there. When you miss a port because your late and then blame it on "rough seas" this is incompetence. People tendered out to the ship both at 9:30 am and 2:00 pm. So weather obviously was not the issue. When staff can't answer questions about things on their own ship, that's being run poorly. When the ship doesn't maitain its own equipment, that's being run poorly (even when you bring the maintainence issue to their attention, and still nothing is done.)

I'm getting confused. This is the first mention I recall of poor maintainence. Could you please enlighten us? I could be wrong about this, but I think the schedule for GC was 9AM arrival and 3PM departure. You state that someone tendered out to the ship at 9:30 and again at 2. If that's correct were you sure the port was skipped because you were late? Sort of looks like you were probably arrived on time. And I just can't believe the port was missed just because the Capt wanted to.

I've been on several cruises and have yet to be privy to the conversations that may occur "behind the scenes" as to the operation of the ship, so I certainly couldn't say I've been aware of how any of my cruises have been run. As you are aware of this on your first cruise I guess I'm just a really slow study.

-Monte

a capt would have no reason for cancelling a port except for the safety of the passengers; little do we always understand what is going on: There are 3 ports that are quite often missed due to weather, Cancun, Grand Cayman and the ships private islands. Perhaps the tendering out was a must, but the capt didn't feel like taking the passengers safety into his won hands thus he choose to miss the port. NMNita

We found out the hard way that sailing from FLA in January is risky. Did it once and had the "high winds and heavy seas" that did not abate until we hit the Carib. My own fault for not doing enough research, but lesson learned. If we are going out of FLL or MIA will not book earlier than last two weeks of Feb and try to run the "window" thru the end of March. Cruises tend to be more expensive then, but weather is usually much better. I think that many of us tend to forget the Jan is still winter and those big storms come rolling across the Atlantic.

I'm getting confused. This is the first mention I recall of poor maintainence. Could you please enlighten us? I could be wrong about this, but I think the schedule for GC was 9AM arrival and 3PM departure. You state that someone tendered out to the ship at 9:30 and again at 2. If that's correct were you sure the port was skipped because you were late? Sort of looks like you were probably arrived on time. And I just can't believe the port was missed just because the Capt wanted to.

I've been on several cruises and have yet to be privy to the conversations that may occur "behind the scenes" as to the operation of the ship, so I certainly couldn't say I've been aware of how any of my cruises have been run. As you are aware of this on your first cruise I guess I'm just a really slow study.

-Monte

For you and NMNita, I'm going to explain this one last time. People tendered out to the ship when we got there. I watched them from the balcony in my room. These were people that had missed the ship when it left Miami. Also, (and we were told this over intercomm by the captain) that we were going to wait until 2:00 PM for more people who had missed the ship when it left Miami to tender out to the ship. So the "rough seas" excuse is COMPLETELY BOGUS. Do you understand what happened here? If its safe to tender on the ship, its safe to tender off the ship. PERIOD.

If you want to defend the cruise line, fine, go ahead. Maybe you work for them who knows. But the other people reading this post can make their own judgements based on the FACTS I have given them, and make their own decision as to wether this type of thing is acceptable or not. I do not know the real reason why we did not tender off.

And, for mbisson, here is one example of poor maintainance.

We tried to work out in the gym. But the equipment was badly in need of attention. It would bind and stick when you used it. All of the exercise machines were this way, the leg press, shoulder press, leg curl, etc...

If you know anything about gym equipment, you know that it needs to be adjusted, cleaned and lubricated on a regular basis. We told them the first day about it and on the last day of the cruise still nothing was done. Is it too much to ask to be able to use the facilities that are onboard the ship? I don't think so. To me, that is being run poorly.

Frankly, I had a few problems with the NCL Sun, but the ones I had had nothing to do with weather or high seas. No one can control that, so get over it. The only problems I had with NCL was a dispute with the Spa (Alma the manager is evil). Although they made a "reservation" for my wife, when she showed up they said they didn't have time for her and THEN proceeded to charge our account for the services NOT rendered. I told her back in the USA this is considered theft by deception, and I will go as high as I need to for a refund. I am not cheap, but I do not like getting charged for services I never received. Also, i had a minor issue with the freestyle cruising. The tips were automatically taken off by the chip at a rate of 10 bucks per day per passenger. The crew, knowing this, did not have to work too hard to make their service very outstanding. Other than that, we had a great time (it was our honeymoon). We were in a balcony room, and the only issue we had with that was the bathroom was rather small. Other than that, all went well. We were not allowed in Grand Cayman, but I feel the same as the other posters here in saying I am glad they didn't compromise my safety if tendering was not a viable option.

Scott

netcomm

Thanks for the explanation, I'm glad you say it's for the last time. I think that cruising may not be for you. The problems you had don't seem to have much validity. Equating the exercise equipment to the ship being poorly run??? Enough. Oh and your comments about "maybe you work for the cruise line" What's up with that? Getting a bit defensive aren't you?

boxerdogdakota, I agree that you shouldn't be charged for something you didn't receive (I don't think anyone here would ever disagree with that). I sure hope you get that worked out without further problems. I didn't have any problems with the service even though tips are added to the on board charges. Don't know if I was lucky or you were unlucky.

Small bathrooms. Yes but wasn't the jet powered toilet great? ;)

-Monte

netcomm

Thanks for the explanation, I'm glad you say it's for the last time. I think that cruising may not be for you. The problems you had don't seem to have much validity. Equating the exercise equipment to the ship being poorly run??? Enough. Oh and your comments about "maybe you work for the cruise line" What's up with that? Getting a bit defensive aren't you?

boxerdogdakota, I agree that you shouldn't be charged for something you didn't receive (I don't think anyone here would ever disagree with that). I sure hope you get that worked out without further problems. I didn't have any problems with the service even though tips are added to the on board charges. Don't know if I was lucky or you were unlucky.

Small bathrooms. Yes but wasn't the jet powered toilet great? ;)

-Monte

As I said, I gave you one example. I could give more, but I'm not going to right a book. Maybe you think not being able to use the ships facilities is no big deal. I think it is. And yes, I would cruise again, because I see the appeal of the concept. I had a good time in spite of the setbacks on the ship, as I didn't expect everything to be perfect. I simply stated that based upon my experience, I could not recommend NCL, because I think there have got to be better options out there. My only frustration is most people on this board seem extremely eager to defend NCL and can't accept one persons experience or recommendation as just that. ONE experience.

My only frustration is most people on this board seem extremely eager to defend NCL and can't accept one persons experience or recommendation as just that. ONE experience.

No one here could care less if you recommend NCL to anyone. Personally I wish only enough people would cruise NCL to keep them financially afloat. (That way, I could get better prices). ;)

But statements without credence ire many. I find it presumptious of anyone to to keep using expressions such as "these are the facts" instead of "this is what I believe". Oh, & BTW-you have yet to tell us just why the capt wouldn't let anyone disembard in GC. Only that he was wrong about it being the weather & you are right. You did insinuate once that it was because the ship was running late, but that just isn't the case if your other statements are true.

byebye

Monte

Frankly, I had a few problems with the NCL Sun, but the ones I had had nothing to do with weather or high seas. No one can control that, so get over it. The only problems I had with NCL was a dispute with the Spa (Alma the manager is evil). Although they made a "reservation" for my wife, when she showed up they said they didn't have time for her and THEN proceeded to charge our account for the services NOT rendered. I told her back in the USA this is considered theft by deception, and I will go as high as I need to for a refund. I am not cheap, but I do not like getting charged for services I never received. Also, i had a minor issue with the freestyle cruising. The tips were automatically taken off by the chip at a rate of 10 bucks per day per passenger. The crew, knowing this, did not have to work too hard to make their service very outstanding. Other than that, we had a great time (it was our honeymoon). We were in a balcony room, and the only issue we had with that was the bathroom was rather small. Other than that, all went well. We were not allowed in Grand Cayman, but I feel the same as the other posters here in saying I am glad they didn't compromise my safety if tendering was not a viable option.

Scott

Scott, i would be livid if someone charged my account for services not rendered. I hope you get this resolved. This reminds of a time a few years ago when I sent a client a gift for booking their cruise with me (the line was not NCL by the way) the gift did not arrive, my CC was charged and first the line said I hadn't ordered anything, then admitted I ordered it and it arrived but my client lied about it. yes, the baths are small, this is typical of most lines I think. As for the automatic $10 almost all lines are using this method now. Of course you can ask to have the $10 adjusted down the last day or so, but I don't think most passengers ask. As for not getting the service, I have been satisfied with the service since this policy went into affect, but I know others seem to share your observations. Guarenteed a tip why go out of your way. This sucks in my opinion. NMNita

ps have a wonderful married life. Congratulations

No one here could care less if you recommend NCL to anyone. Personally I wish only enough people would cruise NCL to keep them financially afloat. (That way, I could get better prices). ;)

But statements without credence ire many. I find it presumptious of anyone to to keep using expressions such as "these are the facts" instead of "this is what I believe". Oh, & BTW-you have yet to tell us just why the capt wouldn't let anyone disembard in GC. Only that he was wrong about it being the weather & you are right. You did insinuate once that it was because the ship was running late, but that just isn't the case if your other statements are true.

byebye

Monte

Facts are facts. Just that. Its not my fault if you don't like them. Actually, I'm GLAD you had a good time on your cruise. Really, I am.

Monte, of course you have good points and can back up what you say, netcom seems to be judging a poorly run ship on almost no data that means a heck of alot to many of us. Netcom you do have a right to your opinion, but I will say of all the complaints many of us have heard about NCL or any other cruise line for that matter, The Sun being poorly maintained is not one of them. She is considered by most one or if not the best of all NCLs ships and most everyone has positive things to say about her, regardless of what they may say about NCL overall. Try another line and see if there is much difference. Hope you find the cruise that is best for you if there is such a thing. NMNita

So the "rough seas" excuse is COMPLETELY BOGUS.
As I've asked elsewhere: So why, then, do you think the ship cancelled the port? Just to piss you off?

As for all this "defending the cruise line" stuff, you might be interested to know that I had to go back to remind myself why I ever started reading these threads. As it happens, I read these threads because I have cruised on the Sun and was originally interested in seeing what other people thought. But I would have given you the same reaction if you'd come out with these unreasonable complaints about any ship on any line.

If you cannot deal with the fact that other people with vastly more experience than you have to make decisions about operations affecting your holiday, and you cannot cope with uncertainty and change in your holiday, then sailing places on a ship really may not be for you.

I just came home today from the SUN. I was very, very disppointed with the cruise. I have sailed 11 times prior on various ships both in the Caribbean and in Europe and this cruise was the worse ever.

I will start with the beginning. The fist day at sea almost the entire boat was sick. The weather was awful and the seas were very rough. The captain did not get on the loud speaker at all that day to inform the passengers about the rough seas he ignored the entire situation. To make matters worse-it rained as well.

The next day was sunny for Grand Cayman. However, we were unable to get off the boat-the swells were too high for tenders to enter the dock. The NCL crew was aware of the problem the day before-but we had to sit and wait anchored outside Grand Cayman waiting for several delayed guest to arrive. The ship could have taken us to another port for the day-instead we sat still until 4:00 looking at Grand Cayman from the boat.

The following day was even worse-Roatan, Honduras. NCL should ban this island from the cruise. It is so poverty stricken that you are attacked by children begging you for things and following you around. We went to Tabyana Beach for the day and had to come back after 1 hour-the beach was covered with a 5 foot wide layer of seaweed. The cruise ship sent over 150 people to this beach for a day trip charging $50.00 per person and no one could go into the water because of the seaweed. Also, it was cloudy, rainy and cold. We demanded our money back and the cruise ship did credit us for the tour.

Our next stop Belize-the island was okay and the tour we went on was interesting. However, the weather was cold and cloudy.

The following day was the best, Cozumel. We should have spent 2 days in Cozumel-the beach was beautiful and alot of fun. We went to Playa Mia for the day and enjoyed the water and all of the activities. We would have liked for the boat to allow us to stay longer-3:00 was too early for a pick-up.

Our last day was at sea. The morning was sunny and very, very windy. We ended up with rain in the afternoon and the sun came back out at 3:00.

One other big problem we encountered was reservations at the Freestyle restaurants. They do not try to accommedate you at all. New Years Eve they told us both main restaurants were booked and the only reservation they had was at 5:30. Well guess what, at 8:00 the restaurant was still half empty. Also. the other restaurants that you have to pay for-the people who take the reservations are looking for their palms to be greased. We encountered this when we were told we had a reservation in the Japanese restaurant infront of the grill and the next day we were moved to outside the grill area.

The only wonderful part of the cruise was the Express Checkout-we walked off the boat today with our luggage and it only took us 10 minutes in total from the point of disembarking and getting a van to take us to the airport.

I am sorry for this awful review. However, after spending thousands of dollars for my winter vacation, I had to share my heartships with all of you.

Happy New Year to all!

Not So Happy Cruiser

You can read this thread and see the various posts. You can also see if you give negative comments on a cruise, you get attacked and ripped to shreds by the "experts". Well, I can only speak for my experience on the Sun. While I liked the concept of cruising, the bottom like is I cannot recommed the Sun or NCL as a cruise like based upon my ONE yes ONE experience. Take that for what it is. I'm sure other people have had much better experiences on the Sun and NCL. I was only one.

You can also see if you give negative comments on a cruise, you get attacked and ripped to shreds by the "experts".
To try and say my bit about this as gently as I can:

Those who post negative reviews and then "get attacked and ripped to shreds" tend, as a generality, to be posters who are relatively new to CC, and consequently have relatively low post counts. In fact, you often see such a review as the member's very first post. (In itself, there's nothing wrong with a low post count - we all started somewhere.)

Nevertheless, the other common factor to these negative reviews is that they tend to be expressed in strong language. But the experienced cruisers can see that the complaints that tend to be made in these reviews don't justify such strong language, because they are often about everyday occurrences which are part and parcel of the business of cruising.

To give you some examples. A negative review which says "I was very disappointed in the cruise director, because he was very offhand and rude to me, and quite unlike all the other cruise directors I've known" is likely to be taken at face value because it looks like a reasonable complaint. (There's actually a vaguely similar thread running on this board about the Sun right now, which is all well-tempered, with lots of different views being expressed calmly.)

However, a negative review which says "The cruise line was the absolute pits because the sea was very rough" will not be kindly received, because the state of the sea isn't within the cruise line's control, rough seas are occasionally a necessary part of cruising (if you don't like being at sea, don't cruise) and usually can't be avoided without totally mangling the itinerary.

The truth is that the latter type of complaint tends to be made by newcomers to cruising. And I hope you can see why it really isn't any surprise when some of the more regular cruisers respond with a certain amount of derision when people post this type of thing in an intemperate manner.

Netcom,

I am not sure too many would take anyone's advise based on one experience. You feel you have been attacked maybe this is true, but maybe there is a reason and it's called unable to admit you might be a little wrong about something and unable to be a little flexible. I would suggest next time you cruise, you stay away from any line that has it's own private island as they are often missed, don't think about any ship that has GC or Cancun as a port, and make certain you do not cruise from about mid August to mid March as any of this time can give you a rough experience and cancellation. Oh, also stay away from Bermuda cruises as the water going over can be rough and most of the ships sailing to Bermuda are small. NMnita

To try and say my bit about this as gently as I can:

Those who post negative reviews and then "get attacked and ripped to shreds" tend, as a generality, to be posters who are relatively new to CC, and consequently have relatively low post counts. In fact, you often see such a review as the member's very first post. (In itself, there's nothing wrong with a low post count - we all started somewhere.)

Nevertheless, the other common factor to these negative reviews is that they tend to be expressed in strong language. But the experienced cruisers can see that the complaints that tend to be made in these reviews don't justify such strong language, because they are often about everyday occurrences which are part and parcel of the business of cruising.

To give you some examples. A negative review which says "I was very disappointed in the cruise director, because he was very offhand and rude to me, and quite unlike all the other cruise directors I've known" is likely to be taken at face value because it looks like a reasonable complaint. (There's actually a vaguely similar thread running on this board about the Sun right now, which is all well-tempered, with lots of different views being expressed calmly.)

However, a negative review which says "The cruise line was the absolute pits because the sea was very rough" will not be kindly received, because the state of the sea isn't within the cruise line's control, rough seas are occasionally a necessary part of cruising (if you don't like being at sea, don't cruise) and usually can't be avoided without totally mangling the itinerary.

The truth is that the latter type of complaint tends to be made by newcomers to cruising. And I hope you can see why it really isn't any surprise when some of the more regular cruisers respond with a certain amount of derision when people post this type of thing in an intemperate manner.

I can understand that. And maybe I used too harsh of language. But I didn't blame NCL for the weather. The sea was rough, people did get sick. I didn't because I used dramanine. The weather was cloudy and not hot except for our last port. I never blamed NCL for that. And I tried to summarize and explain my opinion in my orginal post:

"Despite the negatives on this cruise, I did enjoy myself, making the most out of our time. But it was inspite of the way this ship was run, its food and service. I would like to cruise again, but I can't recommend NCL based upon this experience. I just have to think there are better options out there."

Honestly, I think a person's cruise experience depends on their level of expectations. I felt my level of expectation was not that high. I didn't expect the food to always be good. I expected to have to wait in lines, that some people would not be that cheery, and there would be somethings that "weren't right". Like I said, I did enjoy the time, but I just couldn't recommend the Ship on my experience.

Netcom,

I am not sure too many would take anyone's advise based on one experience. You feel you have been attacked maybe this is true, but maybe there is a reason and it's called unable to admit you might be a little wrong about something and unable to be a little flexible. I would suggest next time you cruise, you stay away from any line that has it's own private island as they are often missed, don't think about any ship that has GC or Cancun as a port, and make certain you do not cruise from about mid August to mid March as any of this time can give you a rough experience and cancellation. Oh, also stay away from Bermuda cruises as the water going over can be rough and most of the ships sailing to Bermuda are small. NMnita

I'll probably roll the dice again, because I liked being out on the open ocean. And I do admit, I might, be a litte wrong about something. But I doubt it! lol

I'll probably roll the dice again, because I liked being out on the open ocean.
Actually, it's great to hear that. Despite everything I've said, it would be great if you gave it another go. And hopefully you'll enjoy it again enough to do it yet again, and so on ... :)

Honestly, I think a person's cruise experience depends on their level of expectations. I felt my level of expectation was not that high. I didn't expect the food to always be good. I expected to have to wait in lines, that some people would not be that cheery, and there would be somethings that "weren't right". Like I said, I did enjoy the time, but I just couldn't recommend the Ship on my experience.

You say that your level of expectation was not that high yet this contradicts what you previously said:

"I was on this same cruise with my best friend and his family, and it was my first cruising experience. I have to disagree about the food, general quality, and organization of the cruise as a whole. The food in the main dinning areas and the buffets is pretty poor. Think of a cheap buffet in your home town where the food is over/under cooked and of marginal quality. That is what the food is like... edible but hardly "outstanding.

The cabin staff was good. I would give them an A. But other staff was seemingly un-informed and although not rude, they were not pleasant either, mostly robotic. Also, is it too much to ask that the staff speak understandable english? I realize that there are several nationalities represented on these ships, but if you can't speak a common language, it makes it difficult to communicate."

Why was the food poor? Was it spoiled? Raw? It is certainly not gourmet dining but no mass market cruise ship supplies that. What did you expect ? I have yet to be on a cruiseship were the food was "outstanding". Except for the very high end cruise lines most cruiseship food is essentially banquet hall food that is sometimes pretty good and even occasionally excellent for what it is. It is NOT the kind of food one expects from a truly fine restaurant. To me "outstanding" cuisine seems to be a rather high expectation to have.

What type of behaviour did you expect from the staff? Didn't they do their jobs? All the staff that deal with the public speak English but for many of them English is not their first language. You will find that on all cruiseships.

When I re-read your initial comments - it really seems to me that your expectations were NOT modest at all but unrealistically high ("outstanding food", staff perfectly fluent in English providing perfect ever cheerful service). Sorry can't think of any of the mass market cruiselines that can provide what you appear to expect. I think with your "modest" expectations, mass market cruising may not be for you. If you do cruise again I suggest maybe Seaborne (sp?). I don't think even Crystal could guarantee that all it's staff are perfectly fluent in English. Oh well good luck whatever you do cruisewise - maybe you will luck out and your next cruise will have perfect weather and no ports will be missed and then the food will taste better and the staff will seem more pleasant. I think sometimes one major disappointment colours an entire trip.

You say that your level of expectation was not that high yet this contradicts what you previously said:

"I was on this same cruise with my best friend and his family, and it was my first cruising experience. I have to disagree about the food, general quality, and organization of the cruise as a whole. The food in the main dinning areas and the buffets is pretty poor. Think of a cheap buffet in your home town where the food is over/under cooked and of marginal quality. That is what the food is like... edible but hardly "outstanding.

The cabin staff was good. I would give them an A. But other staff was seemingly un-informed and although not rude, they were not pleasant either, mostly robotic. Also, is it too much to ask that the staff speak understandable english? I realize that there are several nationalities represented on these ships, but if you can't speak a common language, it makes it difficult to communicate."

Why was the food poor? Was it spoiled? Raw? It is certainly not gourmet dining but no mass market cruise ship supplies that. What did you expect ? I have yet to be on a cruiseship were the food was "outstanding". Except for the very high end cruise lines most cruiseship food is essentially banquet hall food that is sometimes pretty good and even occasionally excellent for what it is. It is NOT the kind of food one expects from a truly fine restaurant. To me "outstanding" cuisine seems to be a rather high expectation to have.

What type of behaviour did you expect from the staff? Didn't they do their jobs? All the staff that deal with the public speak English but for many of them English is not their first language. You will find that on all cruiseships.

When I re-read your initial comments - it really seems to me that your expectations were NOT modest at all but unrealistically high ("outstanding food", staff perfectly fluent in English providing perfect ever cheerful service). Sorry can't think of any of the mass market cruiselines that can provide what you appear to expect. I think with your "modest" expectations, mass market cruising may not be for you. If you do cruise again I suggest maybe Seaborne (sp?). I don't think even Crystal could guarantee that all it's staff are perfectly fluent in English. Oh well good luck whatever you do cruisewise - maybe you will luck out and your next cruise will have perfect weather and no ports will be missed and then the food will taste better and the staff will seem more pleasant. I think sometimes one major disappointment colours an entire trip.

I expected the food to be like a good buffet. Like any one of several I've eaten at in the last year. Maybe that's too much to ask, I don't know. But as I stated, the food was over or under cooked, greasy, just not good quality. Like I said, it was edible, but not outstanding. I was disagreeing with the poster "kingneptune" that it was "outstanding", I didn't expect it to be outstanding.

When I was researching I had read that the Sun was a "mass market" type ship. So I didn't expect personalized or perfect service. But when you call the front desk to ask a question about the ship or its activities, you expect to be able to get a correct answer. You expect to be able to understand them. What am I supposed to do? Learn russian, german, french so I can talk to these people when I take a cruise? It was really difficult to communicate, and got very frustrating after awhile. You would have to say "I don't understand you" all the time. I'm sure it was frustrating for them too. You say this is how it is on all ships, well, I don't know the solution, but guess what, I'm the one paying for the ticket. Yes, I'm the customer. So its the ship's responsibilty to hire staff that can speak understandable english. If they have to speak other languages too, well then that should be a requirement of employement on the ship. And I'm not say ALL the staff were this way. But plenty of the staff was. And I tried to give credit where it was due. Like I said the cabin staff was very good, the best of the staff we encountered.

An example of the ship not being run well: We couldn't use the gym equipment because the machines were so poorly maintained they would stick and bind with every movement. Is it wrong to expect that this stuff be in proper working order? We informed them of this the first day we were there, and by the last day, nothing was done. We weren't out looking for things to be negative about. If I could have gotten my hands on the tools and machine oil needed to maintain this, I would have gladly done it myself and not complained. I understand for someone else, not using the gym machines would be nothing, for us it was because we are in to working out. So that was OUR experience, our dissapointment. For someone else, they could care less. But its the ships facility, it's there. I don't think I'm being demanding to expect to use it.

We had other problems, things being charged incorrectly, etc... but like I said: All in all, I had enjoyed the experience in spite of the problems. But I can't recommend the ship based upon my experience because I think there have to be better options out there. Why is that statement so hard to understand? I see on cruise critic there are plenty of similar ships rated higher than the Sun. That's what I'm talking about.

Best of luck all you posters and best of luck on your future cruises. I'm sure I'll cruise again sometime.

P.S. I read somewhere that the worst time to cruise is over the holidays, because of limited staffing, because the staff is unhappy that they are not at home with their families (understandable I guess) , its very crowded, etc.. I don't know if this affected this cruise, but its something to consider.

Archived