Cheaper parking near NYC cruise pier?

sunryz710

Save it somewhere else, only alternative is to take a train into the city and then a cab to the piers. The cost for parking is not that bad, about $225 for the week and they come and get you bags, (tips required). Thats not excessive for NYC and for the assurance your car will probably be there when you get back its a drop in the bucket for what your spending for the week.

Wait till' you get to Bermuda, thats where you won't find yourself saying "Wow, thats a great deal", too often.

Save it somewhere else, only alternative is to take a train into the city and then a cab to the piers. The cost for parking is not that bad, about $225 for the week and they come and get you bags, (tips required). Thats not excessive for NYC and for the assurance your car will probably be there when you get back its a drop in the bucket for what your spending for the week.

Wait till' you get to Bermuda, thats where you won't find yourself saying "Wow, thats a great deal", too often.

Hmm...they didn't come get your bags 5 years ago....so now they do? Sure would not mind tipping for that service. How much do you generally tip them? Also, how do you go about getting them to come to your car for your bags.....are there people there just waiting to do that? :confused:

We sailed out of NYC in Feb 2009 on a 10-day which would have cost $300 to park at the pier. Instead, DH found an alternative at http://nyc.bestparking.com. You search by neighborhood. We parked on West 49th St. right across from Pier 88 and paid $200 for 10 days. It worked out great for us. He dropped me off at the pier with the luggage. After handing the big pieces over to a porter I got in line and waited for DH to join me. We'll do that again next time we cruise out of NYC.

We sailed out of NYC in Feb 2009 on a 10-day which would have cost $300 to park at the pier. Instead, DH found an alternative at http://nyc.bestparking.com. You search by neighborhood. We parked on West 49th St. right across from Pier 88 and paid $200 for 10 days. It worked out great for us. He dropped me off at the pier with the luggage. After handing the big pieces over to a porter I got in line and waited for DH to join me. We'll do that again next time we cruise out of NYC.

Wow...so you saved a $100 for doing this....did you use the "monthly" option? When I clicked on the link it wanted to know that.

How did your hubby get back to the pier? Pier 88....is that the NCL pier? If so...then I guess it's just a short walk right?

Wow...so you saved a $100 for doing this....did you use the "monthly" option? When I clicked on the link it wanted to know that.

How did your hubby get back to the pier? Pier 88....is that the NCL pier? If so...then I guess it's just a short walk right?

I'm pretty sure we used the "daily" option. Then picked the Theater District neighborhood (West 40's). Used the lot on W. 49th between 10th & 11th. Pier 88 is where the Gem was docked and it was a very easy walk for him, even on a cold day in Feb. When we disembarked, we didn't even bother with a porter. All our luggage had wheels, so we just pulled it behind us and crossed 12th Ave. I waited with the luggage while he got the car and in no time we were on our way up the West Side Hwy. :)

I'm pretty sure we used the "daily" option. Then picked the Theater District neighborhood (West 40's). Used the lot on W. 49th between 10th & 11th. Pier 88 is where the Gem was docked and it was a very easy walk for him, even on a cold day in Feb. When we disembarked, we didn't even bother with a porter. All our luggage had wheels, so we just pulled it behind us and crossed 12th Ave. I waited with the luggage while he got the car and in no time we were on our way up the West Side Hwy. :)

Thanks...sound like a good option for us...going in January on the Gem.

BTW....you don't remember the name of the parking lot by any chance do ya?

Thanks...sound like a good option for us...going in January on the Gem.

BTW....you don't remember the name of the parking lot by any chance do ya?

It was one of the ICON garages: 721-735 10th Ave. If you hover your mouse over each of the car icons, the address pops up (at least on my browser it does). We called to make a reservation, just in case. It's a garage, which I liked better than an open lot so we wouldn't come back to a car buried under snow. Like most NYC places, it's valet park, so you won't have the security of a park & lock, but our car was fine.

Wish I were going again in January! We have the Gem booked for 2011.

It was one of the ICON garages: 721-735 10th Ave. If you hover your mouse over each of the car icons, the address pops up (at least on my browser it does). We called to make a reservation, just in case. It's a garage, which I liked better than an open lot so we wouldn't come back to a car buried under snow. Like most NYC places, it's valet park, so you won't have the security of a park & lock, but our car was fine.

Wish I were going again in January! We have the Gem booked for 2011.

Thanks Sandy....there were several in that location so I was not sure which one it was. I will definitely check it out. ;)

Based on your question I thought it was a possibility. The OP had told you the garage was on West 49th near pier 88. I would have clicked, found the answer myself and not asked the question.

I did click...and found several garages in the area she mentioned.....having no "name" to go by I did not know which one it was. :rolleyes: Not that I have to justified it or give you an explanation of my own question to someone, but you are very judgmental of what people post here I've noticed.

Do you always "monitor" peoples questions and post this closely? Sounds like you need to take a break from reading this forum.

Thanks Sandy....there were several in that location so I was not sure which one it was. I will definitely check it out. ;)

I know the link took you only to a starter page but it's the only one I had. Not at all surprised you had more questions about which lot.

I've been trying to figure out how to pronounce your CC name and it just hit me....French, "A friend" right? DUH... :o

I know the link took you only to a starter page but it's the only one I had. Not at all surprised you had more questions about which lot.

I've been trying to figure out how to pronounce your CC name and it just hit me....French, "A friend" right? DUH... :o

Yep....you got it! A lot of people ask me about that. I've had that name for over 10 years and sort of wish I had chosen something else because it's part of my email address that I"ve had all that time too. Hate to change the email address for many reasons so I just kept it.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone has had any experience parking in any of these garages that I found on BestParking.com:

West End Towers Garage - 55 West End Ave.

Concerto Garage - 513 W. 59th

MTP 57 - 601 W. 57th

I'm looking for parking for a 7-day NCL cruise in July, and the rates I found were $168, $168, and $175 for these three lots.

If anyone has parked in any of these, any bad experiences, etc.?

Thanks!

Christina

Hello,

I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone has had any experience parking in any of these garages that I found on BestParking.com:

West End Towers Garage - 55 West End Ave.

Concerto Garage - 513 W. 59th

MTP 57 - 601 W. 57th

I'm looking for parking for a 7-day NCL cruise in July, and the rates I found were $168, $168, and $175 for these three lots.

If anyone has parked in any of these, any bad experiences, etc.?

Thanks!

Christina

Hi,

There are so many things to take into consideration for parking near the Pier.

With the price you have, you are about 100$ shy of the Pier parking.

Just my opinion and observation...

If if is a 7 day rate you have, and if you get back to your car 5 minutes past the time you got IN the parking 7 days earlier...you might have an over charge ( read that in other parking related threads here ).

If you take a cab to and from the Pier, you can probably add 10$ each way. How many in your party ? Do you need 2 cabs at 10$ each ? Do you plan to go to the Pier and drop luggage before getting to the offsite parking ? If not, will all luggage fit for the entire party in the cab ? I know there are many cabs at the Pier when you get back, but have seen and heard people waiting a long time to get a cab...

You might save between 60$ to 100$ for an offsite parking. If you plan on dropping the luggage first and picking them up with your own car after the cruise, you can plan on 30 to 45 minutes in traffic just to access the terminal plus the walk/cab ride to/from parking each way...

I personally find the 80$ difference on my couple of thousand spent for the cruise makes no difference at that point...

I always park at the pier and the convenience is worth the little extra $

Anyways once on the ship it's vacation time :D

Have fun !

Do those prices included the 18 3/8% NYC Parking Tax for Non-Manhattan Residents?

That would be $30+ more.

No, I didn't take that into consideration...I'll have to see what the total with tax is for the pier parking.

Christina

️ You know you're a cruise addict:

If you know what DOtD and OBC mean.

If you enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

If you are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!)

No, I didn't take that into consideration...I'll have to see what the total with tax is for the pier parking.

Christina

If you are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!)

Pier parking INCLUDES all taxes. The total cost is 40$ per day or 280$ TOTAL for a week.

You are getting very close to the Pier parking price on your offsite parking.

I just checked, and all the rates are tax included, and the garage is an 8 min walk from the pier. So that's a $110 savings. I'm not rich, so it makes it worthwhile. Thanks for all the help!!

Christina