Carnival Spirit, 9/2 Glacier Bay, Long Review

ninetyfeet

Would you know it that I didn't take any photos of the room! Probably one of the best ones that I have is this one when we were in Glacier Bay:

i19E57977-8B6C-4034-BE68-F44A68043267.jpg

Of course, I ALWAYS take photos of the cabin except when someone actually wants to see photos. The extended balcony was plenty of room for 2, in fact, I would have loved an ottoman in front of my chair as there was plenty of room for that AND to still walk around.

The room was standard, we pushed the beds together, couch with the adjustable table. The bathroom was larger than those on the fantasy class ships which I didn't mind :o)

The pictures in the room were quite odd ... one was a naked lady and the other was a partially naked lady riding a dolphin ... guess they were on sale? I don't care nor did I immediately notice them. Then again, it is just something to fill the walls during my vacation.

What a great review...you provided me with wonderful memories of the exact cruise we took to Alaska this week last year. I know what you mean about the travel to the port...we are also spoiled to live within a short drive to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami ports and are also looking forward to our next Western Caribbean cruise :-)

I may have to ask you about some of the eastern/southern itineraries out of FLL and MIA. Have any suggestions or great reviews?

Thank you again for the review. My partner and I are on this cruise next year, but it leaves from Seattle and ends in Vancouver. We wanted to take the Amtrak back to Seattle and I have had a hard time wrapping my head around the whole thing. Is there just the one train that leaves at 6 PM? Also, did you buy your tickets ahead of time or did you just walk up and buy them/ Also you spoke of throwing your luggege into a locker so I am assuming you had no problems with the storage at the train station?

I purchased the tickets online from Amtrak via their website. When I first looked into the train there was only one up and one back each day. Now they have two (one early morning and one in the evening) each way. Due to our cruise, we took the first one up in the morning which meant we left SEA at 7:40am. The coach tickets are $41/pp and the first class upgrade is another $13 which includes a $3 food voucher. They sent an e-mail confirmation which I scanned at the station before we boarded to get our tickets printed (similar to airline boarding passes). The "gate agents" handed out seat assignments 30-45 minutes before the time to board the train on the way up. Seat assignments were given at 4:30pm on the way back to Seattle (a lot more than 45 minutes probably because we had to pass through customs).

Obviously, if you're on a budget, coach is cheaper but for us it was worth the extra $20 (we knew we would eat on the train so the $6 in vouchers were a wash). I'm sure we saved that in stress, time, and waiting in lines.

We did not look for or use any lockers in Seattle so I can't say for that. The lockers in Vancouver were outside near the bus depot area. They took canadian coins only and cost around $6 for 7-8 hours of use (you could open the lockers as many times as you wanted during that time). This was also for a locker big enough for two carry-on suitcases and two medium sized backpacks. The smaller ones may be less expensive.

I purchased the tickets online from Amtrak via their website. When I first looked into the train there was only one up and one back each day. Now they have two (one early morning and one in the evening) each way. Due to our cruise, we took the first one up in the morning which meant we left SEA at 7:40am. The coach tickets are $41/pp and the first class upgrade is another $13 which includes a $3 food voucher. They sent an e-mail confirmation which I scanned at the station before we boarded to get our tickets printed (similar to airline boarding passes). The "gate agents" handed out seat assignments 30-45 minutes before the time to board the train on the way up. Seat assignments were given at 4:30pm on the way back to Seattle (a lot more than 45 minutes probably because we had to pass through customs).

Obviously, if you're on a budget, coach is cheaper but for us it was worth the extra $20 (we knew we would eat on the train so the $6 in vouchers were a wash). I'm sure we saved that in stress, time, and waiting in lines.

We did not look for or use any lockers in Seattle so I can't say for that. The lockers in Vancouver were outside near the bus depot area. They took canadian coins only and cost around $6 for 7-8 hours of use (you could open the lockers as many times as you wanted during that time). This was also for a locker big enough for two carry-on suitcases and two medium sized backpacks. The smaller ones may be less expensive.

Thank you! We heard the train was very scenic so this is the way we wanted to get back down to Seattle. You just helped me a lot.

I may have to ask you about some of the eastern/southern itineraries out of FLL and MIA. Have any suggestions or great reviews?

Hey Ninetyfeet, We've done the Eastern a couple of times and a few 4-5 day trips to Bahamas....gone from Miami, FLL and also Cape Canaveral. We've had good luck with all ports. We're actually thinking of trying Tampa if we can talk our son into joining us, since he just recently moved over there.

Archived