Newport: The Doris Duke's Mansion @ Rough Point tour?

swdke

In Newport, we wish to tour the manions. We do have planned to tour the Elms, and a few others. However, I see that the Doris Duke's Mansion @ Rough Point is closed on the day were in port, but is available through Princess Tours. Does anyone know anything about the Rough Point mansion? The Doris Duke Rough Point Princess tour is from 8:45 am -10:45 pm, cost is $69 per person for this 2 hr. tour. If we did this tour, I thoght we'd then see the other mansions, like The Elms, on our own. Ship departs at 4, and I'd probably like to be tendering back to ship around 3 pm, which leaves about 4 hrs to tour the Elms and hopefully a few other mansions as well. Anyhow, wondering if there would be sufficient time to view the other mansions if we did do the Rough Point tour. And, are there any recommendations or thoughts on whether to even take the Rough Point tour or not. $69 seems expensive for a 2 hr tour, but I am okay with it if it's worth it. Just don't know enough about Rough Point to help me decide, and hoping others here may be able to offer advice and suggestions. Thank!

JMO, since it costs less than $20 to tour the Breakers, I would pay that or a little more to visit DD Rough Point. Now, the Princess tour includes a scenic drive but I don't think it is worth $49 ($69 less $20). I've done DD RP and enjoyed it but the Princess tour is overpriced.

As I looked at the DD RP site at http://www.newportrestoration.org/visit/rough_point/ , I see that the entry fee is $25, worth it! Looking at the tour schedule at the same site, will you be visiting on a Sun. or Mon. when the tour is not available?

From your post, I see you mention the Elms and others but no mention of the Breakers. Have you previously visited the Breakers (and Newport)? The Elms is nice, but it is not up to the standard set by the Breakers.

I normally suggest that visitors to Newport and the mansions do 2 (or 3, if your feeling lucky) tours but 1 has to be the Breakers.

Do you understand that: Newport is a tender port; transportation is required to get to the mansions and return; transportation by city bus is available (or by taxi); you'll be walking to the next mansion(s) you visit; and there are no fast food restaurants located at that end of Bellevue Ave, but IIRC some mansions may offer snacks.

Since you did ask and my reply may ramble, I would NOT pay $69 for the DD RP and scenic drive tour.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to Newport.

JMO, since it costs less than $20 to tour the Breakers, I would pay that or a little more to visit DD Rough Point. Now, the Princess tour includes a scenic drive but I don't think it is worth $49 ($69 less $20). I've done DD RP and enjoyed it but the Princess tour is overpriced.

As I looked at the DD RP site at http://www.newportrestoration.org/visit/rough_point/ , I see that the entry fee is $25, worth it! Looking at the tour schedule at the same site, will you be visiting on a Sun. or Mon. when the tour is not available?

From your post, I see you mention the Elms and others but no mention of the Breakers. Have you previously visited the Breakers (and Newport)? The Elms is nice, but it is not up to the standard set by the Breakers.

I normally suggest that visitors to Newport and the mansions do 2 (or 3, if your feeling lucky) tours but 1 has to be the Breakers.

Do you understand that: Newport is a tender port; transportation is required to get to the mansions and return; transportation by city bus is available (or by taxi); you'll be walking to the next mansion(s) you visit; and there are no fast food restaurants located at that end of Bellevue Ave, but IIRC some mansions may offer snacks.

Since you did ask and my reply may ramble, I would NOT pay $69 for the DD RP and scenic drive tour.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to Newport.

Thank you for your reply and information. I think when I mentioned the Elms, I believe I had meant to say the Breakers. Yes, I do want to see the Breakers. Thanks for your thoghts on DD@RP, good information, thanks.

I'm leaving on the Constellation Saturday with our first stop in Newport on Sunday 9/20. I called Rough Point and asked why the Celebrity tour was $68 and admission was only $25. They said they were aware of the problem but were only open on Sunday for the cruise ships and no one else. That stinks. My husband refuses to pay $136 for the two of us to do a $50 tour. The distance from the dock is only a couple of miles. We have seen most of the major mansions on previous visits and they are interesting but doing a couple of them is more than enough. We are going to do the free Cliff Walk and walk around town. Hope the weather is good.

I am from Newport but have lived in FL for approx 15 yrs so know the mansions well. We always love to go to a couple when we go home to visit.

We finally made it to Doris Duke's and was never so bored in all our lives. We actually left the tour early. The tour guide was going on and on and on and we were in one room forever. I love the history of the mansions but with this tour, I felt they were filling time w/ babble.

We were all looking forward to the tour but were dissapointed, including my mother who still lives in Newport and had wanted to go for a long time.

I would pick any other mansion tour over DD. I love the Breakers, Marble House & Astor's Beechwood Mansion where the tour guides dress and act like they (and you) are in the Victorian ages....lots of fun!!!

Thank you so much for easing my guilt about not going to Rough Point. We didn't have time to do it last trip. The only reason I am interested is that we live in Hillsborough NJ where the Duke Estate is located and have been there several times for tours. At Christmas 2 years ago they offered the final tours of the Mansion and Greenhouses before they were closed forever. It was interesting and strange at the same time. The mansion was decorated with an art deco feel in some areas and a Thai/Asian theme in others. The local garden club had put up themed Christmas trees in all the rooms so that was interesting. The tour guide had been there forever and knew a lot of detail about Miss Duke and since she was losing her job so to speak tended to ramble on. Thanks again.

Archived