Eclipse cruise has been "Red Listed"??

ffej

We booked the 5 night western caribbean cruise on the Eclipse that leaves on November 15, 2010. A few days after booking the cruise I went onto Celebrity's website and the cruise was not showing up. I called the TA that we used and he was told that the cruise was not being sold anymore. He used the phrase "Celebrity has red listed this cruise". The TA didn't have any other information. He said that Celebrity would decide if they were going to have this cruise in the next few weeks and we would be contacted then.

Does anyone have any information on this cruise? What does "Red Listed" actually mean? What are the chances that this cruise will happen?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

This has happened to me TWICE on Celebrity....never on any other line! (I'm sure it DOES happen...they just don't use the term Red Flag!)

Both times the cruise still went on...but what I was told is usually happening is that a very large group or groups, are buying HUGE blocks of cabins, and Celebrity takes notice. What happens then is they are given the option of Chartering the Ship. If they decide NOT to, then the cruise is no longer Red Listed, and the cabins are then asked to be "Turned In" if they haven't been sold. When I say they are grabbing HUGE blocks of cabins...I mean in some cases over half the ship. By these groups having TA's holding all of these cabins..it gives the impression to Celebrity that the cruise is almost "SOLD OUT" when in reality, the cabins are still sitting there.....this puts a red flag out for Celebrity to check on it, and then they ask for the cabins back if they don't want to buy all of them or charter the ship. The worst thing about all of this is that for the groups that really might want to charter the ship...they can keep the cruise Red Flagged while they're making a decision, or while Celebrity is trying to get these cabins out of hold status, for up to a month. So while they are doing this, you get to wonder if you'll still be taking THAT cruise!:mad:

I can see why Celebrity does this, because there are some TA's that won't turn these cabins back over to Celebrity until right at Final Payment....and then Celebrity has to deal with trying to get them sold by lowering prices and upgrades. So when they see these large blocks going, they "Red Flag" and investigate!

Take Care,

Jaime

We booked the 5 night western caribbean cruise on the Eclipse that leaves on November 15, 2010. A few days after booking the cruise I went onto Celebrity's website and the cruise was not showing up. I called the TA that we used and he was told that the cruise was not being sold anymore. He used the phrase "Celebrity has red listed this cruise". The TA didn't have any other information. He said that Celebrity would decide if they were going to have this cruise in the next few weeks and we would be contacted then.

Does anyone have any information on this cruise? What does "Red Listed" actually mean? What are the chances that this cruise will happen?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Hi Ffej !

It's usually called Code Red, which means the sailing is currently not open for new bookings. It could be for many reasons, such as itinerary changes, or a possible charter/group taking some or all of the ship. It could also mean the sailing is canceled, but it's too soon to worry about it. I noticed there is now a gap in Eclipse's schedule from 11/13/10 - 11/20/10. It looks like Celebrity is tweaking the beginning of her Caribbean season's schedule.

I will ask Celebrity, and see if I can get any further information. If I hear anything, I will post it here. Stay Tuned !

This has happened to me TWICE on Celebrity....never on any other line! (I'm sure it DOES happen...they just don't use the term Red Flag!)

Both times the cruise still went on...but what I was told is usually happening is that a very large group or groups, are buying HUGE blocks of cabins, and Celebrity takes notice. What happens then is they are given the option of Chartering the Ship. If they decide NOT to, then the cruise is no longer Red Listed, and the cabins are then asked to be "Turned In" if they haven't been sold. When I say they are grabbing HUGE blocks of cabins...I mean in some cases over half the ship. By these groups having TA's holding all of these cabins..it gives the impression to Celebrity that the cruise is almost "SOLD OUT" when in reality, the cabins are still sitting there.....this puts a red flag out for Celebrity to check on it, and then they ask for the cabins back if they don't want to buy all of them or charter the ship. The worst thing about all of this is that for the groups that really might want to charter the ship...they can keep the cruise Red Flagged while they're making a decision, or while Celebrity is trying to get these cabins out of hold status, for up to a month. So while they are doing this, you get to wonder if you'll still be taking THAT cruise!:mad:

I can see why Celebrity does this, because there are some TA's that won't turn these cabins back over to Celebrity until right at Final Payment....and then Celebrity has to deal with trying to get them sold by lowering prices and upgrades. So when they see these large blocks going, they "Red Flag" and investigate!

Take Care,

Jaime

Something like this happened to us on Royal C when they were re-doing their Mex Riviera itins-- meanwhile we were left hanging for more than a month & invested in another deposit to make sure we would have a cruise on another date...when it all cleared ,our sailing was re-opened & we cancelled the back up--but no one at Roylal ever told us what was going on & they all had diff explanations...

Obviously, I would not book any non-refundable air til the red Code is lifted..

Hi Ffej !

I'm sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news, but I was told by Celebrity, the 11/15/10 Eclipse sailing has been canceled.

There is now a 1 week gap in her revenue sailings from 11/13, when she arrives in Miami from her Trans-Atlantic, until 11/20, when Eclipse has her first Caribbean 7 night sailing. During this time, I'm told that Eclipse will be doing some non-revenue sailings for invited guests, similar to what Celebrity did with Solstice, when she arrived in Florida.

Of course, it would be prudent for you to confirm with your TA, before making any final decisions. It sounds like you should be looking for another sailing. Why not take a look at the 7 night Eclipse sailing on 11/20 ? The prices are fantastic !

Thank you, Andy. Looks like it is back to the drawing board for us in our planning. I wonder if we'll receive any type of on-board credit, etc. for our inconvenience? One can always hope...

Thank you, Andy. Looks like it is back to the drawing board for us in our planning. I wonder if we'll receive any type of on-board credit, etc. for our inconvenience? One can always hope...

Hi Ffej !

I'm glad I was of assistance. As for an OBC, I'd tend to doubt it, as the sailing is over a year away. If there is one, it will probably be small. One option might be to ask if they will move you to the 7 night Eclipse sailing on 11/20, and protect your price. However, I would make certain your TA asks any questions BEFORE you cancel the booking, as once you cancel, you wont get anything.

I hope you will find a Celebrity sailing that works for you. Good Luck !

Archived