Newport Mansions: How much time to allocate per mansion?

swdke

I am interested in visiting The Breakers, Elms, Marble House, and maybe Rosecliff if time permits. To help me better manage my time, and expecations on what I can visit, how much time does it generally take to view each mansion? Thanks.

Between waiting time and tour, I would allocate 2 hours per mansion. The Breakers maybe more, the other less popular, less. Things to consider: is there another cruise ship in port that day, is it a school holiday, walking time between mansions, how long are you in port, how soon will you be able to board a tender, what about a meal.

The total distance between the 4 mansions you listed is approximately 1.7 miles if they are done in this order: Elms, Breakers, Rosecliff, Marble House.

If you do the math (4 mansions X 2 hours per mansion = 8 hours). Even if my estimate of time per mansion is off by 30 minutes per mansion, that is still 6 hours. That is why I suggested in your previous post doing 2 mansions (or 3 if you’re feeling lucky). Why rush through tours? This is not a competition on who sees the most mansions and catches the last tender, or is it?

Doing only 2 mansions gives you good reason to do a land based vacation of New England or another NE/C cruise :D.

AND

I should have included this in my reply to your taxi question.

This is the Authorized Taxi Rates in Rhode Island. Beside the normal rate, you might have some other charges:

* $2.00 for the first 1/10 of mile (drop charge)

* $0.25 for succeeding 1/10 mile

* $25.00 per hour for waiting time

* An additional charge of $1.00 per passenger beyond the first two (2)

Between waiting time and tour, I would allocate 2 hours per mansion. The Breakers maybe more, the other less popular, less. Things to consider: is there another cruise ship in port that day, is it a school holiday, walking time between mansions, how long are you in port, how soon will you be able to board a tender, what about a meal.

The total distance between the 4 mansions you listed is approximately 1.7 miles if they are done in this order: Elms, Breakers, Rosecliff, Marble House.

If you do the math (4 mansions X 2 hours per mansion = 8 hours). Even if my estimate of time per mansion is off by 30 minutes per mansion, that is still 6 hours. That is why I suggested in your previous post doing 2 mansions (or 3 if you’re feeling lucky). Why rush through tours? This is not a competition on who sees the most mansions and catches the last tender, or is it?

Doing only 2 mansions gives you good reason to do a land based vacation of New England or another NE/C cruise :D.

AND

I should have included this in my reply to your taxi question.

This is the Authorized Taxi Rates in Rhode Island. Beside the normal rate, you might have some other charges:

* $2.00 for the first 1/10 of mile (drop charge)

* $0.25 for succeeding 1/10 mile

* $25.00 per hour for waiting time

* An additional charge of $1.00 per passenger beyond the first two (2)

SailBadtheSinner, thank you for your helpful information. As you know, our time in Newport is limited, and we are interested in touring some mansions on our own. Since I am unable to visit too many mansions, which mansions do you recommend? How should I prioritize. I am interested in the following: The Breakers, The Elms, Marble House, Rosecliff, and Belcourt Castle. Since I can not tour them all, how would you prioritize or rank as must see? I assume The Breakers would be 1st on the list. Then, what would be 2nd, and 3rd, 4th, etc.? Thanks!

We will try to get off the ship early, and take a taxi to The Breakers when they open at 9 am. After that, what might you suggest to visit next, and if time, what to visit next? By 2:45 pm, I'd like to be making my way, taking bus #67, back to Newort. Thanks!

These are what I would suggest you visit: Breakers, Rosecliff, & Marble House, in that order. If after touring Rosecliff, check your watch for remaining time. From your previous post, you want to be tendering back to the cruise ship at 3:15. I would say if you’re exiting Rosecliff at or before 1:00, then continue on to Marble House. After 1:00, you make the call.

The bus ride from Marble House to the Newport Visitors Center is about 15 minutes; there are bus stops all along Bellevue Ave. In fact there is one in front of the Marble House.

As for taking a taxi to get to the Breakers, early; that should work. With a cruise ship visiting, there should be of taxis around. The distance from the tender dock to the Breakers is about 2.2 miles.

Archived