Deluxe Balcony = Suite?

UKCruiser_2008

We are considering taking our first cruise as a family on Ventura in May 1010. The baby will only be 8 months old (I know some disapprove of taking infants on cruises!) and so were thinking of getting a suite/larger balcony stateroom in case we end up spending a lot of time in the cabin.

When I was checking prices on the P&O website, it referred to the rooms on D deck, CC class as "Junior Suites". However, in other places they are called "Deluxe balcony staterooms".

Now I am particularly interested in this as I read you can have dinner from the MDR served in your cabin if you have a suite. Is this just a service for the larger suites? I am wondering as this would be so convenient for us with a baby!

Cheers,

Annie

We are considering taking our first cruise as a family on Ventura in May 1010. The baby will only be 8 months old (I know some disapprove of taking infants on cruises!) and so were thinking of getting a suite/larger balcony stateroom in case we end up spending a lot of time in the cabin.

When I was checking prices on the P&O website, it referred to the rooms on D deck, CC class as "Junior Suites". However, in other places they are called "Deluxe balcony staterooms".

Now I am particularly interested in this as I read you can have dinner from the MDR served in your cabin if you have a suite. Is this just a service for the larger suites? I am wondering as this would be so convenient for us with a baby!

Cheers,

Annie

Hi there

I may be wrong but I think that this only applies to suites not mini-suites(or superior delux balconies as they are now called on Ventura).

Have you considered Freedom dining which means basically you can turn up for your evening meal whenever it suits you. Usually easy to get a table early on. You could then settle lo and take them to the night nursery so you can relax for an hour or two. Or you could always get room service.

Sue

Sue is right, you can only choose to have meals taken from the restaurant menu served in your cabin if you have a suite. The butler will take your order and then he's sets it all out in your suite. There is no charge for this. Other than that I believe on some ships you can have balcony dining but there is an extra charge for this.

Carole

Hello, we've got two boys aged 3.5 and 1.5, the oldest has been on 5 cruises, the youngest on 2 with two more booked on Ventura.

All but one have been with RCCL, Oceana was our first experience of P&O and I have to say that the kids stuff is great. I've found that they are one of few cruise lines that allow you to use the kids pool with swim nappies (recently RCCL Independence have built a kids splash pool), P&O also allow you to use the facilities of the kids club as long as you stay with your children. Toys and playtime are really important for children and you don't want to take too many in your suitcase. Most kids clubs you can't even get in the door and you have to sign your children in and out at the door.

I can also recommend the night nursery on P&O, it allows you to enjoy your dinner knowing your little is getting all the sleep they need to wake you up at the crack of dawn.

P&O are also the only cruise line we've found that allow children from the age of 2 in the kids club, most cruise lines are from age 3 upwards, this is why we've booked our next ones with P&O.

Don't worry about taking your little one to the main dining room, most other passengers will tollerate children especially on the early sitting.

On Oceana they had a childrens tea time in the self service buffet restaurant, this was really good as the kids could eat at their normal tea time, then could go to the night nursery while you had an adult dinner. I believe on Ventura they have family tea in the self service restaurant, not sure how this will work yet.

Regarding cabin size, I would go for the biggest you can afford, you'll need cot space, pram space etc. It's always good if you can leave the cot assembled incase of day time naps and in a smaller cabin this might not be possible. We have a balcony cabin booked in Dec on C deck with a wider balcony, and have gone for the deluxe balcony next June, mainly because it has a sofa bed and mum and dad don't have to go in the bunks.

Whatever you choose I'm sure it will be just fine.

Tracy

Can you not just have room service in any class of cabin? On our recent Arcadia trip we often had room service. There were free items and some that had a supplement. We had both and were glad that we had this option. We tipped the waiter who brought the tray but other than if we chose items with a supplement it was all free.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. We had a mini suite/ deluxe superior balcony in July on the Ventura. There are four of us and our children are older being 15 and 11 years old (but they still have lots of "stuff" although its mainly clothes and electronics these days!) On previous cruises we had standard outside four berth cabins but were really glad we treated ourselves to a higher grade cabin this time. Although many people say that you do not spend a lot of time in the cabin we found the opposite was true for us. Having the extra space made the whole cruise more relaxing and enjoyable. The balcony meant we never felt we were "missing anything" as we could watch the views from our own private space, enjoy room service breakfast and generally chill! Also having a much larger bathroom was a great plus when getting ready for dinner and I imagine the bath would be easier with the baby. Also as has been said having space for all their "stuff" would also be good. We have enjoyed all our previous cruises but have always had a bit of a shock moment when you get into the standard cabin and look how small the space is you all have to live in! Having said that you do soon adapt and have to of course go with your budget. We never regretted or resented paying the extra for a better cabin - the only problem is it has spoilt us for future cruises! What ever you decide to do have a great time and do not forget to indulge in a little "me time" at the spa. Regards Julia

I'm not really adding to what has already been said but will say it anyway!

We had a minisuite/superior deluxe balcony cabin for our cruise on Ventura last year. Our son was nearly three at the time and still having a daytime nap so the extra space/balcony was a godsend.

OH is a sun lover and basked in the glorious sunshine on the balcony and I (definately not a sun worshipper as I have a hang up about skin cancer) sat indoors on the couch to read and nipped in and out to watch the sea!

The night nursery will only accept children who are settled to sleep but were happy to let us leave our DS in his pram (he tended to drop off on a stroll about the promanade deck) meaning we could have a wonderful adult dinner together in the main restaurant.

Holiday queen 500 - don't mention on the P&O community forum that your children used the pools in a swim nappy - I did and got a huge backlash for it :(:o

Lindylou

That may well have been due to the fact that it clearly states in the P&O brochure that swim nappies are not allowed in the main pools, only in the paddling pools, and then only when the child is under the supervision of their parents or guardian!

Archived