DIY Corfu - what is there for me to do?

kj_connections

I am visiting Corfu in late November from 12pm-7pm. What is there for me to do if I just wanted to walk around and/or take local transportation? Is it close enough to walk or will the cruise ship offer shuttles?

I googled Virtual Tour of Corfu and found some great web sites including detailed maps. It looks like you can take a shuttle or taxi to the Old Town and find lots to do. There are some great restaurants listed, shopping, walking tours, etc.

Have fun!

You have a few choices in Corfu. The port is within walking distance to any part of town if you are capable of strolling for a mile. Corfu Town is has its share of shops, restaurants and cafes. If you want to explore the island, which is relatively underdeveloped with small villages, some resorts, and some beaches, your best bet is to simply rent a car at the port. There are several local rental car dealers that keep cars right outside the main port terminal (there will be free shuttle service from your ship to the main port terminal) and rentals are relatively cheap (usually about $60 for the day). We recently were in Corfu (this April) and decided to spend the day just driving the entire way around the island (this was our 3rd visit). To be honest, it is not an impressive island, but we had fun just exploring many of the seaside areas.

Hank

While I USUALLY WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with Hank on his travel opinions....this one I have to somewhat disagree with :o

Corfu is known as the "Emerald Isle of Greece" as it gets alot more rain than most Greek locales and therefore is much greener. It has over a million olive trees. The mountains and their villages (that is where most are located) provide scenic and beautiful views. The cove-like beaches are for the most part really nice and also scenic. We really enjoyed a ship tour which took us around the northern part of this island. We visited a quaint monastary, 2-3 villages and then had a wonderful Greek lunch in a charming seaside village. Our tour also gave us free time to explore, shop etc in Corfu town which itself is quite scenic.

So...while I also would not say it is "impressive" we enjoyed it alot more than some others we have been to - Mykonos comes to mind first.

I would take a 10 Euro taxi or 15min walk into Corfu Town and enjoy the beautiful sea views from the top of the town and wind your way through the fascinating narrow streets to the small port area where there is a cafe with comfortable loungers right at the water's edge,order your favourite tipple and soak up this wonderful spot.You may have to pinch yourself to check you are not dreaming or in heaven.That is exactly what we will do this September for the second year running.If you have the full day a car hire tour of the island is equally great.:rolleyes:

I am visiting Corfu in late November from 12pm-7pm. What is there for me to do if I just wanted to walk around and/or take local transportation? Is it close enough to walk or will the cruise ship offer shuttles?

Some of the places of interest are the Monastery of the Virgin Mary, the Old Town, Achilleion Palace and the coast of Paleokastritsa. If you just want to

walk to take public transportation, you can probably do the Old Town and

Achilleion Palace. If you want to see more, you should consider renting a car as Hank suggested. The price is relatively cheap and you can pickup/drop off at the dock.

Archived