US or UK, which is better?

Bellam

My friends and I are new to cruising, but we've done a lot of research and decided that the date, cruiseline and itinerary that suits us best is the Eastern Med cruise on the Navigator of the Seas on April 24th 2010. We're also pretty sure we want a four-bed stateroom with a balcony, although we're open to getting two two-bed staterooms if we can find a really great deal. :)

So we know what we want and we're ready to book, but there's a problem... or maybe it's an opportunity. You see, two of us are British citizens and two are Americans. We can transfer money between ourselves and book this cruise from either country, we just need to decide which is best.

I've seen price drops and deals mentioned a lot on these boards, but still haven't quite got my head wrapped around how it all works. It sounds like there might be a specific time between now and April that I should make my booking in order to get the best deal.

So I guess my questions are...

1. Is there a financial benefit to booking in the US versus the UK. (Either with RCI or a TA. We're open to both.)

2. When should I make my booking in order to take advantage of any price drops or special offers?

3. Is there anything else that I, as a newbie, might not be aware of that would help me get a good deal on this cruise?

Thanks in advance!

Bellam

If I were you I would book in the US. If there is a price drop after booking you can get it applied to your booking at no cost. In the UK they now charge £35 per person for any changes after the first one, so if you get more than one drop or even if you just want to change your cabin they will charge you.

Also in the UK once you pay a deposit it is non refundable, in the US you can cancel right up until final payment and get your money back.

I think these are the main differences, I'm sure others will come in with anything I've missed.

Someone in the US will probably be able to tell you if there are any 'deals' coming out soon.

Julie

1. You will have to compare the price of the cruise you are interested in both USD and GBP using current exchange rate, which may change quite a bit by the final payment date. From what I've read here on CC there are some disadvantages to booking in the UK like deposit being non-refundable anytime and change fees after the first free one, so it may cost you if say you make a cabin change with the first free change and then see a price reduction. In NA deposit are refundable before the final payment date and all changes free although you may limited as to what can be done after the final payment date has passed.

UK residents can't book directly with RC in NA so at least one of the Americans needs to have a address on NA side of the pond. If that is the case for your American friends then they can book the cruise directly for all of you. If not you will have to book through a TA over in NA.

2. You cannot use For New Booking Only prices like the Tuesday Special Event Sale for price matching. These tend to come out after the final payment date and generally offer the best prices. Before the final payment date you can get the new booking only price as you can cancel the old booking but there is a possibility of losing your selected cabin. The cabin category for the new regular price must match exactly to what you have booked to get the price match.

I tend to book very close to the sailing date in order to get the For New Booking Only prices.

I also have booked our cruises in CAD (home currency), USD and Euros depending on price and exchange rate but will only book in foreign currency very close to making the final payment as to avoid being caught by a change in exchange rates. Currently I am looking at a cruise for late November that I can buy in Euros for about 30% less than the USD price and 25% less than the CAD price.

Not quite so. There are at least two US agencies advertising US 0800 free telephone numbers and who take bookings from UK residents. In fact, I used one and they asked whether I wanted the quote in dollars or pounds.

I use another US agent and my address doesn't come into the equation.

Princess however, will not permit bookings unless you are a legal resident of the US.

Not quite so. There are at least two US agencies advertising US 0800 free telephone numbers and who take bookings from UK residents. In fact, I used one and they asked whether I wanted the quote in dollars or pounds.

I use another US agent and my address doesn't come into the equation.

Princess however, will not permit bookings unless you are a legal resident of the US.

Yes, UK residents can book though a US TA but can't book directly with RC in NA. That's what I wrote in my post. Just like I booked my last Dec. X Century TA in Euros with a German TA but couldn't book directly over in Europe.

US or UK, which is better?

well first we have to decide if warm beer is acceptable or not.

Then we have to decide who actually won WW2.

After that then decide who is driving on the wrong side of the road.

When you decide that then you'll know which is better US or UK :)

Yes, UK residents can book though a US TA but can't book directly with RC in NA. That's what I wrote in my post. Just like I booked my last Dec. X Century TA in Euros with a German TA but couldn't book directly over in Europe.

Well, I just transferred my booking DIRECT with RCCL in NA to my travel agent in the US - that way I receive a lovely OBC.

I think it all depends on which reservations agent you get. But it is probably better to book through a Travel Agent in the US, if you are in another country. Just try and ensure that you receive an OBC or free tips etc. as Travel Agents in the US are not permitted to give discounts or cut prices etc. Also, make sure that they do not charge a service charge - that happened to me once.

Take no offence, I like both the US and UK!

The answer to question number one is that warm beer is better than beer that tastes like water!

The UK does not drink 'warm' beer - some real beers are not 'chilled' to cocktail temperatures to maintain their taste unlike in the US. :rolleyes:

If you look at the way the EU is dominating Europe and which country dominates the EU then the answer is easy - Germany won the war!!! :mad:

From Roman times through Medieval times people passed each other on the right hand side because most people are right handed and therefore able to defend themselves in combat if required. Napoleon changed all that and spread left hand drive through Europe as he conquered it. The US adoption of left hand drive is probably down to the French influence over a young and impressionable country in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries as well as the anathema to anything British. :p

So the answer is not as clear cut as it seems - just like the OP's query!!! :D

Ken ;)

Archived