Aqua Class for Kid..

HSTeacher1

I'm looking at booking the Solstics in March of 2010 as a spring break cruise for my daughter and I.

She will be 10 at the time. She really enjoys getting dressed up for dinner, and I think she would like Blu, so I'm thinking about booking the two of us in Aqua class.

Thoughts?

What else does Aqua class get us?

Thanks,

-Dan

I believe that would be fine. Insofar as the goodies are concerned, you may wish to visit the Celebrity home site. We are booked in AQ for a ten nighter on the Equinox; and, as I recall you receive all of the perks of CC plus daily bottled water and ice tea, access to the Persian Gardens and the Relaxation Room and free slippers.

Probably won't be a problem but I didn't see any other children in Blu on our August cruise.

As far as other amenities, you get bottled water and ice tea in your room every day. You also get fresh fruit, flowers and evening canapes. There is an expanded toiletries package which includes face mist, food mist and lip balm. You have daily access to the Persian Gardens but you may want to check with Celebrity to make sure your daughter can enter. I think there maybe age restrictions.

Truthfully, the AquaClass amenities are geared toward adults. Your daughter might enjoy a venue where there are other kids her age around more.

I'm looking at booking the Solstics in March of 2010 as a spring break cruise for my daughter and I.

She will be 10 at the time. She really enjoys getting dressed up for dinner, and I think she would like Blu, so I'm thinking about booking the two of us in Aqua class.

Thoughts? What else does Aqua class get us?

Thanks,

-Dan

Hi Dan:

I think your daughter would love Blu. It's a really pretty room, and she will feel really special getting dressed up and going there with her Dad. The staff in Blu are wonderful, and I'm sure they will go out of their way to make her feel like a princess.

One of the things that I like the best in Blu is the lighting. It is formed from strands of amber-coloured crystals that are attached by a type of spring that allows the crystals to vibrate slightly, even when the ship is stationary, so that the lighting always shimmers. It's quite magical, and I think your daughter will love it. (I have posted some pictures below).

Another thing that I think your daughter will like are the serving plates that are used in Blu. They are very pretty and inventive, and are different for almost every course. (I wish I had taken some pictures of them, but you may find them in other places on this forum). The creativity of the table service helps to reinforce the idea that Blu is gracious, but not stuffy.

AQ, like Concierge Class, also provides fresh flowers for your stateroom. We had Peruvian Lilies on the desk and a rose in the bathroom. The flowers were changed once on our 12-day cruise, so they always looked fresh.

Each day a pitcher of ice herbal tea is provided; the flavour changes daily. You will also receive 2 complimentary bottles of water that are replaced as you use them. The mini bar actually keeps things cold, and the prices are not unreasonable, for a mini bar.

There is a very nice flat-screen TV with a wonderful selection of music, movies, current TV, classic TV and some children's programming. All of this is included at no extra cost.

The expanded breakfast menu for room service in AQ and CC is really lovely, and very reliable, especially if you arrange for it the evening before by using the "door-hanger". The room service attendent will set breakfast up on your balcony, if you like. AQ has very nice balcony furniture, with a good-sized table that accommodates breakfast nicely. (AQ also includes footstools that will turn your balcony chair into a very comfortable lounge chair. Standard verandas do not).

If you are interested, my pictures from Solstice in June are here:

http://leftcoasters.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruise-Ships/Celebrity-Solstice-June-2009/8531774_VxZWv#554349970_J4gMY

and my pictures of our AQ cabin are here:

http://leftcoasters.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruise-Ships/Celebrity-Solstice-Aquaclass/7051726_Pzoiv#451751605_oZ5t3

Enjoy your trip with your daughter! It will be a very special time for both of you.

562188845_SkU3u-M.jpg

Hi HSTeach, I have two kids age 11 and 13, and we bring them together with us all the time on our cruise, and they love everything about cruising.

I thought that Celebrity has advertised Aqua Class as adults only. But I looked it up and it says this:

"Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest Restaurant and Tuscan Grille (onboard our Solstice-class ships) where children of any age will be accommodated. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult."

I was going to say that you would probably enjoy a regular state room nearly just as much. You can dine in the main dining room or enjoy some of the specialty venues on the ship.

But it does look like you can book Auqua Class for the two of you, so you might want to find out more about the menu ect. It might just depend on her taste and expectations.

Hi HSTeach, I have two kids age 11 and 13, and we bring them together with us all the time on our cruise, and they love everything about cruising.

I thought that Celebrity has advertised Aqua Class as adults only. But I looked it up and it says this:

"Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest Restaurant and Tuscan Grille (onboard our Solstice-class ships) where children of any age will be accommodated. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult."

I was going to say that you would probably enjoy a regular state room nearly just as much. You can dine in the main dining room or enjoy some of the specialty venues on the ship.

But it does look like you can book Auqua Class for the two of you, so you might want to find out more about the menu ect. It might just depend on her taste and expectations.

Suzanne:

There is no problem with children being in Blu, don't think the specialty restaurant rules apply since that is the dining room for those in Aqua Class. I think what you may be thinking of was a thread awhile back in which it was indicated that Aqua Class rooms are for two people only. In this case, it would not be expected that there would be a lot of kids since you won't have Mom and Dad and a couple of kids in the room. No problem if one adult and one child is booked in the room..

Thoughts?

What else does Aqua class get us?

Thanks,

-Dan

Hi Dan,

I would absolutely recommend that you go ahead with this. I cruised with my 9 year old daughter in AQ this August (we did a B2B on Equinox through Europe)...and we loved it!

Blu is a wonderful restaurant...and due to its size, you will find the service exceptional. My daughter also loves to get dressed up and dine, but she is a somewhat fussy eater, in that she prefers "simple" food (eg: pasta with olive oil and olives...as opposed to cream or tomato sauces). This was not a problem at all...the Maitre D' arranged for her to have special "custom ordered" meals each night...and our waiters went out of their way to ensure that her plate came out of the kitchen with exactly what she liked best (steamed baby carrots instead of large sliced ones, olive bread instead of plain bread, mashed potatoes with no herbs folded in etc).

In fact she was quite the star of the restaurant (as you may have read AQ tends to be more adult than family due to the 2 person accommodation, so Blu does not get a lot of kids) ...many of the waiters have young daughters at home that they are missing, so they really enjoyed the opportunity to stop by and chat with her ...and of course fuss over her and spoil her (there was some friendly competition as to who who could teach her the best magic trick or produce the most creative napkin folding...which they would give her to take and place on her bedside table).

The cabin stewards were also quite wonderful when it came to "her things". No matter where my daughter travels to, 5 teddy bears and at least 2 barbies make the trip with us...she was thrilled that each day the stewards would "arrange" her stuff and set them up (for example Teddy -the oldest and main teddy- would be hugging harry (the youngest) whilst dressed (by the stewards) in a cap that was given to my daughter at the port in Lisbon. Or at turndown, several teddies would be tucked in to bed and her nightdress folded and placed on her pillow for her...little touches that she squealed with delight over and which made her feel special.

During the day, when we weren't on a shore excursion, Fun Factory was the priority destination...she loved it...and the youth staff are truly well chosen.

Net net...you will both love this ship! The solstice class ships are beautiful (my daughter and myself had fun just exploring all of the art on the ship), the staff are incredible and they reciprocate warmth with a 1000% bonus. Your daughter will have a great time (fun factory, new friends, splash zone etc) and you will have an opportunity to get some wonderful quiet time of your own to decompress and relax.

We're doing AQ again this December...that's how great our experience was.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you need to.

Have a great trip!!!!

- Karen

Thank you for all of the great responses!

We've been on Celebrity a number of times (usually with my wife as well) and we have always been very pleased, but this will be our first trip on a Solstice class ship, so that should be exciting.

I think you've all talked me into spending the extra money to do the AQ cabin. I think I'll like it, and I'm sure my daughter will as well.

-Dan

Archived