Sorrento on the Navigator

grapejuice

Will be sailing the Navigator in a couple of weeks. Am interested in doing one of the shore excursions to Positano/Amalfi. Anyone who has done one of the RSSC excursion to these destinations, which is the best?

Being stuck on a bus for 6-8 hours doesn't sound too appealing. How long is the bus ride to and from Sorrento and are you left to your own devices once you arive their. ( I would like that )

Some of the shore excursions include lunch at determined restaurants.

Where the restaurant and food in Positano at these particular places any good? La Sirenuse Hotel is one and I think the other is Quattro Passi or something like that

Thanks for any replies.

Will be sailing the Navigator in a couple of weeks. Am interested in doing one of the shore excursions to Positano/Amalfi. Anyone who has done one of the RSSC excursion to these destinations, which is the best?

Being stuck on a bus for 6-8 hours doesn't sound too appealing. How long is the bus ride to and from Sorrento and are you left to your own devices once you arive their. ( I would like that )

Some of the shore excursions include lunch at determined restaurants.

Where the restaurant and food in Positano at these particular places any good? La Sirenuse Hotel is one and I think the other is Quattro Passi or something like that

Thanks for any replies.

Your port is probably Sorrento. There are shuttle busses into town (maybe 10 minutes, tops) and from their Sorrento is a very easily walkable city. We walked Sorrento one time, and the other time we took the Pompeii/Amalfi Coast tour. All day, with a wonderful lunch at La Sirenuse Hotel. It was our first visit and very worthwhile.

Staying at Le Sireneuse is heaven. If you have time for lunch in Sorrento, I highly recommend the sun-dappled trellised patio at Antica Trattoria. Delicious seafood and meat dishes as well as salads, and the owner and waiters are delightul.

I am not one to want to spend a lot of time on a bus either. Have not been on one of Regent's excursions in this area, but I am VERY familiar with it, having vacationed and hiked there.

While Positano is wonderful (our home base on a 7 day trip last year), the drive from Sorrento to Positano is very curvy, nausea inducing. It would not be my choice for the day.

A better option (IMHO) is Pompeii if you haven't been there before. It is close to Sorrento, and it really is unique and worth seeing. You could do this easily on your own or on the ship's tour. There are guides who you can hire right at the entrance if you decide to go on your own.

Then you would have enough time for lunch in Sorrento and exploring there (highly recommend). There are lots of wonderful little restaurants in Sorrento--get off the main street and go back in one of the pedestrian lanes. Read the menu posted outside and pick one that looks good and seems to have a lot of locals.

If you have never seen the Amalfi drive area, it is spectacular..no matter which way you decide to do it [tour, privately]. On our recent visit we went to Ravello and did not find it worth the extra mile, so to speak. Also, the reputed Garden restaurant had 'a view to die for' but very medicore food.

I agree that Pompeii is fantastic. If you did that in the morning, you could combine that with lunch in Sorrento. Caruso's is excellent. And a drink on the terrace of the cliffside hotel [? Regina] lends some feel of the area. And don't forget the limoncello!

Then, to tempt additionally, there is always the option of taking the hydrofoil to Capri and wandering about on this delightful island.

Archived