Last minute advice on children activities post cruise in San Diego

ppwlee

Hi,

Just looking for last minute advice on children activities in San Diego. We are boarding the Pearl in 3 days from Vancover to LA then driving down to San Diego for a 4 day stay. What would be some unique children activities that we can do in San Diego (for 2 yr old)?

We had planned Sea world, Midway ship, old town and beaches in those 4 days so far (taking it easy with the 2 yr old needing lap every afternoon) therefore looking at adding 1 or 2 more places to visit. We've decided to skip the zoo this time. Thanks for any other suggestion.

There is a Children's Museum

http://www.thinkplaycreate.org/

If I remember correctly there is a Ralph's market nearby (with a huge deli area). Horton Plaza is near there also.

We walked from Horton Plaza to the Museum.

Depending on what time of the year you could check out the Wild Animal Park. Do not go there when it is hot.

2 year olds love the Zoo. Lots of kids napping in strollers between being active there every day. Beside the Zoo, there is also a lovely old carousel and mini-train ride right near the entrance that I loved when I was that age. There is also the Model Train display in the basement of the Balboa Park San Diego History museum. There is a regular puppet show in Balboa Park too (depending on which days you will be visiting).

There is also a carousel at Seaport Village.

The Children's Museum is a possibility, as above.

The Birch Aquarium is nice, but it really does not work well for toddlers. Better for kids who are little older.

I am not sure a 2 year old will think much of Old Town, which is mostly museums, shops and restaurants.

She might enjoy watching the hang gliders and paragliders at the Torrey Pines Glider Port.

Legoland would take either a rental car or take the train (the Coaster) and then take a cab from there.

What beach to you plan to visit?

Mission Bay area - bay side has nice parks, grass, paths, and play areas. The ocean side has the beach and boardwalk. You can also go to the plunge and see the roller coaster and some age appropriate kiddie rides. You could also do a bike rental and they probably have something for your 2-year old to ride on or sit in.

Thanks to all. Those are all great ideas.

What other beaches/ city park would you recommend? So far we only have mission and coronado beaches in our mind but are really open to anything suitable for young kids, not necessary too crowded which I am sure will get her overwhelmed, but still a good representative of San diego in general.

La Jolla Cove is nice, both because the water there is relatively calm (and there is good snorkling there for the adults much of the time in the Marine Preserve) but because the park on the bluffs above has nice grassy areas to picnic and decent bathrooms too. Parking there is always a bear, no matter what time of day, but if you are patient something usually opens up. You can walk from there along the bluffs to see the Children's Pool (another protected cove) which is currently occupied (to much controversy) by seals, but the kids love to watch them even if there is no swimming presently.

I would recommend NOT swimming in Mission Bay. It is too often polluted. Mission Beach on the ocean side is OK, but often has a rip current so be careful, and again, parking is problematic. Don't park if it is posted...they tow readily here. The same applies to Ocean Beach, but the pier there is fun to walk out on, the downtown area just off the beach has funky shops and places to eat, and you can watch surfers from the pier.

Coronado has a very wide sandy beach and less often has problems with rips, but always talk with the lifeguard before swimming, just be sure. I always go here early in the morning to get parking. Other than bathrooms, there are no services (no snack bars, etc.) on this beach.

There is no alcohol allowed on any San Diego beaches, so when taking a picnic be aware of this. This includes beer and wine.

Archived