Aft cabin 9201 Summit

SandyR5

Hi - We're ready to book the Summit and can get this aft cabin. We've never taken an aft before. I'd love to hear from others who have stayed in aft cabins. I hear the balcony is bigger. Any comments??? Thanks.

Sandy/Long Island NY

I had 9201 in December on Millennium. The balcony is quite large, at least 3 times deeper than standard balconies. You will have 2 lounge chairs, a big table, and 2 side chairs. The cabin is Concierge Class, which is quite nice -- makes it feel like a suite. The aft view is really spectacular.

However, there are downsides to aft cabins on the 9th deck. First, the balcony is completely covered from above, so sun is limited. Second, since you are directly under the cafe, there is a problem with noise. The cafe has a wood floor and heavy wood chairs, and so you hear a lot of scraping sounds.

If you don't mind the shade and aren't bothered by noise (mainly a problem during breakfast and sail-aways, when the cafe is most crowded) then it's a great cabin. Otherwise, I would recommend asking if there is an aft cabin on the 7th or 8th deck. You get a little more sun, with much less noise on the lower decks.

Ed

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought about the cabin being in the shade. I usually love to sit on the balcony, in the late afternoon, and read/relax in the sun. Hopefully more of you will reply so I can get some more opinions. Thanks so much.

Sandy/Long Island NY

Sandy,

Ed is absolutely right about the noise from the chairs above, and the overhang that extends to the railing, completely covering the veranda. Also, we heard the music from the lounge above us until about midnight. Didn't bother us, but some people may find it disturbing. We were in 9160 on the Summit, and although the CC amenities are nice, we prefer an aft cabin on deck 7 or 8. On those two decks the veranda is only partially covered, so you have some sun, and some shade most of the time. Good luck in your cabin selection.

We have booked this cabin for the 4-7-05 Summit sailing. When I first started to inquire about this room I was told you get 1/2 sun and 1/2 shade depending on the time of day. I'm not worried in the least about the noise, it will be heavenly just to be cruising!! Good luck in whatever room you choose.

Hello - I was in 9162 for the 14 day rio cruise on the Infinity. Although the balcony was indeed HUGE - I would *never* book the cabin again. Way too much noise from the open air bar and dining right above - mostly chair scraping/dragging that was extremely noticeable. It started around 7-8 a.m. and lasted on and off until the bar closed about midnight. If you are a light sleeper, foget about afternoon naps. Virtually impossible. Loved CC class though - and would do that again. Just not all the way aft.

We were in 7201 in Feb and it was FANTASTIC!!! Wonderful room & views not to mention that GREAT BIG balcony!!! The balcony had the full gamet of shade to sun depending on time of day and the direction of the ship. We enjoyed many settings out there!

Even on the 7th deck, the aft noise from the music upstairs can be heard in the evenings. However, we did not get any chair scraping, etc in the AM's from upstairs. Only the nightly entertainment. I don't think I would book the 9th deck if there were the same cabins available on the 7th or 8th. JMHO

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!

I've been 8th deck aft and loved it...I have a question about being on the 7th...on our cruise, a guy in one of the Penthouse suites (on 6) I swear spent his entire cruise out at his table with workpapers spread everywhere droning on his cellphone (if that's how you have to live to afford the Penthouse, no thanks). Did you feel you were TOO close to the Penthouse veranda? Even though on 8 we looked down on 7, the only time we saw anyone was when they were at their railing the same time we were at ours, and we actually had a couple of nice chats with them. It would seem you would have a full view of the Penthouse table if you were on 7. And being on 8, I don't recall hearing any music from above, if we did it was unintrusive enough for me not remember it at all.

Hi Warm...,

Well, you might have had early seating, because that is primarily when the entertainment was up there. We had snacks & cocktails on the balcony prior to getting ready for late seating! We could hear the guy as clear as if we were up there almost--it was NOT a problem, just the fact that yes, you CAN hear it at that time of day!

The PH table was not a problem for us--the only time we EVER saw the people was twice when we saw them actually walk out to the rail & turn around to speak to us! They obviously didn't use the balcony. No, I did not feel we were too close because unless you are actually leaning over the railing, you aren't THAT close just sitting there looking through the glass!

Hope this helps!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!

Without these boards how would anyone know that some balconies are covered and some are not? I know it was never mentioned to me by Celebrity when I booked, and we just lucked out that we got a half sun/half shade one. I would hate to want one or the other and get the opposite.

Archived