Enhanced Drivers Licsense?

zetachi

Anyone gotten one of these and used it for travel to the Caribbean?

We are sailing NVL Pearl in Feb. 2010 going to UVI, BVI, Bahamas and Dom. Republic. Seems they cost less then a Passport.

Any drawbacks or disadvantages?

Thanks

I don't believe they can be substituted for a passport for air travel. So, if you have to return home by air for whatever reason (happens to cruisers all the time for many reasons) you could have problems when you really don't need more problems. Get a passport.

We are sailing NVL Pearl in Feb. 2010 going to UVI, BVI, Bahamas and Dom. Republic. Seems they cost less then a Passport.

Thanks

A passport is the only document that identifies you as a U.S. citizen and is recognize around the world. Not required for U.S. citizens on closed loop cruises......but, would be required if anything happens and you have to fly home from a foreign port.... Missing the ship, accident or injury, family emergency at home, etc. A passport is required to fly.

Without a passport, you are required to carry and present your original birth certificate and an enhanced driver's license. NY State can issue you one... here's some info:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-main.htm

This website can tell you how to do this.

Make sure you have one form of ID or the other...else, you'll be denied boarding.

Thanks

IMHO, FOOLISH, FOOLISH, FOOLISH. Talk about BIG BROTHER!!!!!

Get a passport or get your BC/DL IF you are returning to the same port. I own an international logistics company that owns 37 semi and has another 22 semis under lease. One of my drivers thought this was a GOOD IDEA. It has caused NOTHING but headaches with the insurance company, Homeland Security Clearance and US/Canadian border clearance. GET A PASSPORT!!!

A passport is not required for a closed loop cruise. Without a passport your original birth certificate and photo ID is required. The need for a passport on a closed loop cruise happens when you have an emergency and need to fly home quickly from a foreign port. An Enhanced Driver's licence can not be used for flying into the US. No one ever expects to need to fly home unexpectly during a cruise but unfortuantely it does happen and having that passport will be a timesaver when time is very important.

A Passport will pretty much give you the ability to travel anywhere, anytime, by any means.

An Enhanced Driver's licence will allow you to travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean counties and return home by land or sea. For this particular sentence please remember that if you are on a closed loop cruise (leaving a US city and returning to a US city) you do not need a passport OR an Enhanced Drivers License.

Yes, a passport is more expensive but it give you much more than a NYS Enhanced Driver's license does. The passport gives you the ability to travel anywhere by any means which the Enhanced Drivers licence does not do. The advantage to the NYS enhanced driver's license is if you live near the boarder to Canada and cross the boarder often by land as many of us do that live very close to that boarder than it is a less expensive option than a passport but only if one does NO other travel outside the US. nor will do ANY in the future.

Hope this helps explain. :)

I had to recently renew my passport book, and when I sent the application in I selected to also receive a passport card for an additional $20. The Passport card can only be used on land or sea, not air. However, I can leave my passport book in the safe on a cruise and just carry the passport card while on shore excursions. It also provides a second ID while travelling that is actually cheaper than our state issued ID. I like to stash my DL away where it cannot be lost accidentally and use the passport card as an ID going through airport security, boarding ships, etc..

Archived