Live From the Golden...YVR...LA...HI

ccrain

I am just catching up on these posts and read about Cinemastique. My 9 year old is a trapeze artist and performs a very complicated hoop routine. She would be thrilled to see hoop on the cruise. We are traveling March 28th. Do you know

if the show will still be on at that time? Is there anyway to find out?

Thanks for all of your information.

The Trapeze Artist's Mom

Its a regular show on Princess. It should be running then as well.

Judy:

We are thinking of the March 2010 HI cruise. I'm wondering about rough seas at that time of year in the Pacific. I have a tendency toward motion sickness and fear a ruined vacation. Your experience would be helpful to me.

Thanks.

She is very, very susceptible. She only got quesy on the first sea day over and the first sea day back.

She can't wear the patch. The dryness coupled with the everything tastes like cardboard issue.

She uses generic dramamine, sea bands and ginger and then drinks ginger ale and bitters. None of these resolve the issue, just help her cope with it.

But this cruise had really mild seas. Nothing over 4'. The largest sea we've ever been in was 14' on the Sea Princess coming back up the west coast from Mexico.

The february cruise will tell the tale. I'm expecting her to be pretty flat on her back a lot of the time, but hopefully, being able to say, I saw Antarctica will be worth it.

Hey Charles,

Just a quick post to say we enjoyed the dancing and visiting with you, Judy and our other friends.

Like every cruise, we also leave with many nice memories from this one. I have to say that one of the funniest might have been during the Ballroom Blitz. I'm sure also remember when they announced that we were going to demonstrate a Foxtrot, then a Santana cha-cha suddenly came on. We all adapted though!

It's always fun to make friends on cruises. And, you never know when you'll meet up on another ship!

Rich & Tracey

Hey Charles,

Just a quick post to say we enjoyed the dancing and visiting with you, Judy and our other friends.

Like every cruise, we also leave with many nice memories from this one. I have to say that one of the funniest might have been during the Ballroom Blitz. I'm sure also remember when they announced that we were going to demonstrate a Foxtrot, then a Santana cha-cha suddenly came on. We all adapted though!

It's always fun to make friends on cruises. And, you never know when you'll meet up on another ship!

Rich & Tracey

Welcome to cruise critic.

Well it was either that or being called tugboat as I walked through the Horizon Court...

It was a lot of fun. Hope to see you guys on another cruise soon.

12MB .pdf file of the patters is available, along with the cruise log, cruise planner and the Scholarship@sea advertisement for the HI cruise.

I will post a general message on the main board to see if anyone has a place to put these on-line.

Hi Charles,

I'm currently onboard Golden with Mario and all! He's anxious to read all the wonderful things you've written about your dining experiences here. He's joined Cruise Critic and I just thought I'd post here to keep the board alive so he can read all the lovely comments! Thanks again for posting, he truly is a jewel!

Linda

I can't tell you how much CC's entries on this board. I found myself laughing out loud a few times. I'm going on the same cruise in late February and this thread has made me so excited to go on this cruise! It will be my second time going on this cruise and I loved the first time. Just me and my mom (the only human I can tolerate for 2 straight weeks) in a balcony room.

Now, I'm going again but with three other people, but this time in a mini-suite. Not sure how that one's gonna work out...:rolleyes:

As for excursions, I was fully planning on taking the volcano hike on the big island. I have ideas for the other excursions in Hawaii but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

The previous trip I took a tour of Puna on the Big Island, kayaking in Kauai, swimming with dolphins in Oahu and driving up to the volcanos (in a ridiculously freezing cold bus) in Maui. I didn't do anything in Kona, but I guess it doesn't really matter now because that dropped that port.

Also, what about excursions in Encinada? 10 years ago, I went there on a cruise and was entirely depressed by the city so on my second time in port, I didnt even bother getting off the boat. I'm wondering if its worth it to get off the boat if only to buy some genuine tequila.

Hi Charles,

I'm currently onboard Golden with Mario and all! He's anxious to read all the wonderful things you've written about your dining experiences here. He's joined Cruise Critic and I just thought I'd post here to keep the board alive so he can read all the lovely comments! Thanks again for posting, he truly is a jewel!

Linda

Judy's having seafood pasta and bruschetta withdrawl. He's what makes Princess our line to cruise on. We always manage to find one or two people each cruise that just make the cruise special for us.

So did you sit up front yet?

Did you meet Vian and Jane?

How's the band that replaced the Baby Dolls?

Say Hi to Konrad and wish JP luck on the Sapphire.

Remember, one thing live from threads do is make the rest of us extremely jealous of you...

I can't tell you how much CC's entries on this board. I found myself laughing out loud a few times. I'm going on the same cruise in late February and this thread has made me so excited to go on this cruise! It will be my second time going on this cruise and I loved the first time. Just me and my mom (the only human I can tolerate for 2 straight weeks) in a balcony room.

Now, I'm going again but with three other people, but this time in a mini-suite. Not sure how that one's gonna work out...:rolleyes:

As for excursions, I was fully planning on taking the volcano hike on the big island. I have ideas for the other excursions in Hawaii but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

The previous trip I took a tour of Puna on the Big Island, kayaking in Kauai, swimming with dolphins in Oahu and driving up to the volcanos (in a ridiculously freezing cold bus) in Maui. I didn't do anything in Kona, but I guess it doesn't really matter now because that dropped that port.

Also, what about excursions in Encinada? 10 years ago, I went there on a cruise and was entirely depressed by the city so on my second time in port, I didnt even bother getting off the boat. I'm wondering if its worth it to get off the boat if only to buy some genuine tequila.

There were several people who talked about getting last minute helicopter rides on Maui from Safari Copters. (Princess books with Blue Hawaiin, I think.)

A lot of people did the Diamond Head hike on Oahu. We've done it before on a land cruise and its a lot of fun.

when we go back next time, we're renting a car on Kuai'i and driving the island. On Oahu, we're just gonna do the same thing. Cheaper that way. On Maui, I'm not sure yet. I'd like to snorkel the crater I think.

As far as Ensenada, its still not that much there and I wouldn't buy tequila there. You never know what you end up with. A lot of people just got off, had lunch and got back on.

Check on the HI tour sites. There will be whales when you get there!

Thanks for the great service on the coastal cruise. Weare trying to duplicate the bueschetta, but haven't quite made it yet.

We sent off a note to the CEO about your service and got a nice reply.

Keep Roberto and Dominique doing their fine service and we look forward to cuising with you again onem of these days.

We are off on the Caribbean Princess November 8th. Who should we seek out as our headwaiter?

Peggy and Jerry

ccrain,

Thanks so much for all the time and skill you've poured into your Live from post!

I've been cruising to Hawaii vicariously through the last 9 pages!

I'm doing this cruise at the end of March and am now even anticipating it more than I did before, something I'm having trouble believing as I am also an OCPD and thought I had everything covered ;).

Thanks again!

ccrain,

Thanks so much for all the time and skill you've poured into your Live from post!

I've been cruising to Hawaii vicariously through the last 9 pages!

I'm doing this cruise at the end of March and am now even anticipating it more than I did before, something I'm having trouble believing as I am also an OCPD and thought I had everything covered ;).

Thanks again!

An edited version of the live from thread as a travelog is in the works. Maybe next week sometime...

Charles,

We are not h20 4 me but we also were on the 10/11 cruise and can comment on your questions below. Also I want to thank you for providing information on your thread that helped make our cruise the best ever.

Did you meet Vian and Jane? Based on your thread we started attending Vian's dance classes. Became part of a group of about 10 couples that attended all 9 days. Vian makes is so easy to learn the dance steps. The group met Vian and Jane in the Wheelhouse on the last day after Motor City. They had to kick us out at 1:00 AM!

So did you sit up front yet? I find it hard to believe that on all of your past Princess cruises you had never sat up front. It is great to see the expressions on the dancers and see them play to you. Vian was looking directly at us many times.

How's the band that replaced the Baby Dolls? A band called The New Deal has replaced Baby Dolls. They are a five piece group with a very good female singer. We enjoyed dancing to them several nights. The two couples cruising with us spent much more time listening to them and raved about them.

Say Hi to Konrad and wish JP luck on the Sapphire. We didn't have Konrad, but we did have a chance to talk to JP during the Chef's Dinner. We wished him good luck on the Sapphire.

Hi Charles.........(H20 4 me here, although Brian and Janet have already covered for me, thanks you 2 lovely folks!) Here's my 2 cents worth!

So did you sit up front yet?

We did and it was terrific! Our problem is our "lateness", never rushing dinner, and just getting around to things in our own time, which generally means, strolling into the show after it's started, and sitting in the far far reaches of Siberia! (our loss!)

Did you meet Vian and Jane?

We left the dancing to the others, but heard FABULOUS comments about them. Leaves us something to try next time!

How's the band that replaced the Baby Dolls?

Loved them, great brass section!

Say Hi to Konrad and wish JP luck on the Sapphire.

Konrad was sooo lovely, and JP and Norbert entertained us at the Chef's Table. BUT Mario was definitely the star of the dining room. I missed him on the last night, and was very sorrry for that, we tried finding him the morning of disembarkation but weren't able to.

Thank you again for all the comments. I have Mario's email address, and I've promised him to cut and paste your wonderful remarks to him! Let me know if you would like his email and I will send it to you outside of Cruise Critic.

Keep Sailing and please........Keep posting!

Hi Charles,

I wanted to thank you again for your live thread. We were on the 10/11 sailing & took ballroom dance classes with Vian based on your recommendation. He was outstanding. We went everyday to class along with Janet & Brian (IECalCruiser) & about 10 other couples & met him the last night at the wheelhouse. We even took a couple of private lessons. We sat in the 3rd row of the theatre & you were right it was great. Vian would wink or wave & you did really feel like part of the show.

Thanks again,

Donna

First travelog is done. Working on the second.

Where can I find your travelogs? I'd love to see them. We so enjoyed the trip on the Golden--your information sure helped prepare us for this cruise which followed your immediately.

Archived