Live From the Golden...YVR...LA...HI

ccrain

Well almost live...

In the Hampton Inn in Richmond, close to the airport. Flew up yesterday from DEN on one of their Coast to Coast premium service 757's. Nice plane. They upgraded us to business class so Judy got to experience those new almost flat seats to nap in. Nice start.

We stay at the Hampton for a couple of reasons - 1) HH Points, only 20k, 2) The Boathouse down the street and;

3) STEAMERS

Yes, I am a clamaholic. Had them on the east coast, in Florida, CA, the North Sea, but nothing beats Pacific Northwest steamed clams and mussels. With sourdough bread and a couple of pints of the local ale. Oh Yeah.

After not sleeping the night before, we retired early and I decided to start my live from thread and use those "free" internet minutes for the first time in a couple of years.

For those of you who know me, I boycotted the internet use for the last couple of years when they changed from unlimited to limited.

But now, with 21 days ahead and the first HI R/T for the Golden, its time to find a hobby while Judy does her crafting thing...besides eating or sleeping that is.

We've had to cancel HI trips twice before this one. Hopefully this one will be complete. We'll be meeting up with Judy's high school girlfriend in LA and her husband for the first cruise with friends we know well.

Thankfully TPTB really ticked me off at work last month, so no cell phone, no laptop, no way to connect to work, thanks in part to the IT department and their rules that eventually lead back to paper and pencil as the most secure method of computing. Judy is very happy, I don't have to explain the loss of both a cell phone and a laptop in 6000 feet of water and Princess doesn't get written up for hazardous waste disposal at sea.

Everyone WINS!

Hope to visit, during turnaround day, several of the new Sun Deck suites and get some photos of the layouts. I will be keeping a copy of the patters to scan and will try and record the menus, maybe even digitally. I know how my OCPD afflicted fellows would kill to get patters and menus for their upcoming cruise.

Hopefully I am able to at least to a daily on this, but if I get distracted I hope you will understand and forgive me. As I promise to Judy every day, this is our time to have fun and get a little payback for the 70 hour work weeks and weeks away from home.

In the meantime, I hope to make you all extremely jealous whilst we sail down the coast, across the pacific and back, eating, drinking and dancing our way along, with the most stressing decisions being when, where and what to eat, and what dance to dance for this next tune.

Welcome Aboard, Let's Have Some Fun!

Aloha CCrain,

Enjoy your time on the Golden, and I'm sure we'll see you onboard. My wife and I will be getting on in Los Angeles, as we will be the Hawaiian musicians and cultural presenters onboard. Come up and say hello to us.

Dave Soreff

Elua

Good Morning Ccrain,

Hope you folks have a great time on your coastal and will be looking forward to meting you on the 28th. Looks like you should have great weather coming down the coast and a heat wave is predicted for SF. I got some pictures off the Vancouver Harbor webcam of the Golden this morning. Looks like a nice day there as well.

And as to work, that is a 4 letter word in my vocabulary. Retired when I was 55 and loving every minute of it:-)

49er

Aloha CCrain,

Enjoy your time on the Golden, and I'm sure we'll see you onboard. My wife and I will be getting on in Los Angeles, as we will be the Hawaiian musicians and cultural presenters onboard. Come up and say hello to us.

Dave Soreff

Elua

Dave,

We too will also be on the Golden on her first RT to Hawaii on the 27th and are looking forward to meeting you and the other performers. We are so happy that Princess incorporates Hawaiian music and culture on their cruises. Can't wait to feel that Aloha spirit again.

Mahalo

49er

Well almost live...

Flew up yesterday from DEN on one of their Coast to Coast premium service 757's. Nice plane. They upgraded us to business class so Judy got to experience those new almost flat seats to nap in. Nice start.

Who flys the Coast to Coast Prem Service.

We watched the Golden come in this morning from our room at the Pan Pacific, I'm in starbucks right now.

We board the Golden today for a 7 day coastal down to LA. Stops in Naimo, Victoria, San Fran, San Diego, Catalina and then San Pedro.

Then we get set to be "In Transit", do the funny off and on shuffle in the San Pedro terminal, and then back to the buffet for a 14 day cruise to Hawaii (Hawaii, Oahu, Maui and Kuai...with a stop in Ensenada) and back. 21 glorious days including 9, count them, 9 days at sea. (We like sea days...)

Yes, my name is Charles and I suffer from OCPD (Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder). An affiliction which causes those of us sufferers to scour the boards for two year old menus and patters so that we may plan to the last minute the shows we will see, the food we will eat and the schedules we will keep. We worry, up until the time we actually arrive on the ship, that we've booked the right flight, know how to fill out each form, cringe over the thought of forgetting one item, constantly checking to make sure the passport is in the pocket - and then having that little moment of panic when its not, ITS IN YOUR RIGHT HAND. Sorry, got carried away again...(Yes, I will be saving as many patters, and scanning them (actually Judy will, she's the scan expert) when we get back.)

The good news is that OCPD lessens a bit with experience, age and senior moments - or at least it has with me. Yes, last night was the dream that we missed the ship and this morning's bridge cam showing the Golden still at sea was a bit of start - until I found the Canada Place webcam and breathed a sigh of relief. Get the picture?

Cruise planning and shopping is almost as fun as playing Call of Duty 4 on-line! The only thing more fun is people watching on the cruise ships. Hopefully I can pass along some of the more interesting moments.

Almost time to catch the cab. And another moment of panic...The Canada Place headline this morning was to the effect that 4 cruise ships in port will impact traffic and loading times and OMG here I go again...(slap)...(slap)...better now...with a Starbucks across the street and unlimited coffee in the Hampton, caffeine overload is approaching.

Will hopefully be better after a few/many on-board drinks.

Hi ccrain,

Just saw the Golden Princess on the Vancouver web cam. Looks like you're going to get off to a good sunny start as you sail out under Lion's Gate Bridge. A good friend of ours is also on the ship today. She gets off in LA as we get on next Sunday. Looking forward to your "Live from .." reports and to meeting you and your wife at the M&G on the 28th.

Ccrain,

I have the same complusive cruising disorder!!! :D:D I am so glad to hear that I am not alone!

WOW - what a great trip you have planned. Maybe I can make it down to the pier here in San Diego on the day you are in town.

Since I have complusive planners disease, I have been trying to find out the type of Spin bikes in the gym and if you can use bike shoes with them -- or do the bikes only have clips. If you happen to make a visit to the gym, do you think you could ask?

Have a wonderful time and I will be sure to follow your thread closely. We sail on the Golden to Hawaii for Thanksgiving.

Happy sailing!!!!!!!! :D

Thank you so much for doing the live thread!!! Yes, OCPD runs in my family also:p we don't sail to Hawaii until Feb. 2011 on the Sapphire! But still can't wait to read your live thread, and read the patters etc. Have an amazing time! I love being a pax "in transit," there's something so horribly lovely about watching all the other pax exit the ship, and you know you still have many more days to go:D revel in it!

Since I have complusive planners disease, I have been trying to find out the type of Spin bikes in the gym and if you can use bike shoes with them -- or do the bikes only have clips. If you happen to make a visit to the gym, do you think you could ask?

I just got off the Golden this AM in YVR and am presently heading back to SEA to get on the Star. I was in the Golden's gym yesterday and the spin bikes were "Star Trac" models. Since I'm not into bikes, I'm not sure what you mean by "... can use bike shoes with them...they only have clips" but eventhough I didn't look too closely at the pedals and whether or not they had toe clips, I would THINK they would be usable with normal sneakers for those who don't travel with bike shoes.

Wow just got back from Target to get a few things and had a fender bender in the parking lot! Yikes...we had to wait for the police (they called) which really does not matter in private property. Oh well...what fun! Just a nice little tidbit that hopefully I will put aside for now....

:(

Aloha CCrain,

Dave Soreff

Elua

Elua,

We sail with the Golden on Oct 11th, and look forward to seeing you. We were on the Golden last year and really enjoyed your music and all the other Hawaiian culture that you taught. Will you be teaching how to make the Feather Leis? If so, do we need to bring the material with us, and what do we need to buy?

We can't wait to set sail and to see you and listen to your music.

Aloha and Mahalo

Paka

ccrain,

We board the Golden on October 11th, so we will probalby see you being dragged off the ship yelling "I don't want to leave!" :D

Seriously, we look forward to hearing all about your adventures. What cabin will you be in? I hope you are able to get some pictures of the different types of cabins. What fun doing the coastal plus the Hawaiian...now that's the way to do it!!

Let me know about the lei making....or at least ask your wife about it! I am sure if she is into crafts that she will be making them. I am interested in finding out about the Feather Leis.

Have a fantastic cruise....and ALOOOOOOOOHA!

We will be cruising soon! :)

Paka

Hey Ccrain, just an FYI, I think you may be hitting California during our massive heatwave that begins tomorrow, its supposed to hit 104 here in Napa! Be prepared for some toasty temps! I don't think San Francisco will be that bad because they have the coast there that keeps it generally 15-20 degrees cooler, but I imagine once you get into the LA area it will be quite warm.

Yes, my name is Charles and I suffer from OCPD (Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder). An affiliction which causes those of us sufferers to scour the boards for two year old menus and patters so that we may plan to the last minute the shows we will see, the food we will eat and the schedules we will keep. We worry, up until the time we actually arrive on the ship, that we've booked the right flight, know how to fill out each form, cringe over the thought of forgetting one item, constantly checking to make sure the passport is in the pocket - and then having that little moment of panic when its not, ITS IN YOUR RIGHT HAND. Sorry, got carried away again...(Yes, I will be saving as many patters, and scanning them (actually Judy will, she's the scan expert) when we get back.)

Charles you have descriped me to the T. I will follow you closely given that I am on the Golden over xmas and new years. I will love to see the patters and will ask a ton of other questions during your trip. Feel free to ignore me or just tell me to bug off. Not that that will stop me with OCPD. Have a great trip, get your rest and please give us as much info at possible.

John

Archived