Live From the Golden...YVR...LA...HI

ccrain

Aloha Paka,

It will be nice to have some "veterans" back with us this season. I have actually heard from quite a few people who say they are coming back. Makes us very happy.

As far as feather lei class and demo, I cannot be sure. The program is largely in David's hands, and we don't know what he is scheduling exactly. We know that we will probably be doing many of the things we did last season, including language, food, sarongs, ukulele and hula. I do remember there being a feather lei display and experience with the ladies from the Lyman House in Hilo, but I can't remember if the staff did any classes with feather leis that were hands on. If they do a class, I'm pretty sure supplies will be provided. I can't imagine having to go out and get your own things.

If you email me at eluamusic@aol.com in the first few days of October, I can give you a better idea of what is going on activity and scheduling wise

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

Elua

Aloha Paka,

It will be nice to have some "veterans" back with us this season. I have actually heard from quite a few people who say they are coming back. Makes us very happy.

As far as feather lei class and demo, I cannot be sure. The program is largely in David's hands, and we don't know what he is scheduling exactly. We know that we will probably be doing many of the things we did last season, including language, food, sarongs, ukulele and hula. I do remember there being a feather lei display and experience with the ladies from the Lyman House in Hilo, but I can't remember if the staff did any classes with feather leis that were hands on. If they do a class, I'm pretty sure supplies will be provided. I can't imagine having to go out and get your own things.

If you email me at eluamusic@aol.com in the first few days of October, I can give you a better idea of what is going on activity and scheduling wise

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

Elua

Dave,

Mahalo! We are getting so excited to see you, Leialoha, and David Cole. You were such a great team together and made our Hawaiian cruise (last year) a very memorable one. In fact, we had such a great time that we are coming back on Oct 11th. I know whatever you all have planned will be fun and a learning experience. I am ready to hula and look forward to the lessons once more. We love your music and will be out at the pool listening to you. I hope they let you play in a place inside also..we would love to just sit in a chair in one of the lounges and relax to your music. You, Leialoha, and David are the reasons we are coming back. Thanks you Princess (if you are reading this) for having our favorite people.

See you soon....and ALOOOOOOOA!!

Pat

Paka

We board the Golden today for a 7 day coastal down to LA. Stops in Naimo, Victoria, San Fran, San Diego, Catalina and then San Pedro.

Then we get set to be "In Transit", do the funny off and on shuffle in the San Pedro terminal, and then back to the buffet for a 14 day cruise to Hawaii (Hawaii, Oahu, Maui and Kuai...with a stop in Ensenada) and back. 21 glorious days including 9, count them, 9 days at sea. (We like sea days...)

Yes, my name is Charles and I suffer from OCPD (Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder). An affiliction which causes those of us sufferers to scour the boards for two year old menus and patters so that we may plan to the last minute the shows we will see, the food we will eat and the schedules we will keep. We worry, up until the time we actually arrive on the ship, that we've booked the right flight, know how to fill out each form, cringe over the thought of forgetting one item, constantly checking to make sure the passport is in the pocket - and then having that little moment of panic when its not, ITS IN YOUR RIGHT HAND. Sorry, got carried away again...(Yes, I will be saving as many patters, and scanning them (actually Judy will, she's the scan expert) when we get back.)

The good news is that OCPD lessens a bit with experience, age and senior moments - or at least it has with me. Yes, last night was the dream that we missed the ship and this morning's bridge cam showing the Golden still at sea was a bit of start - until I found the Canada Place webcam and breathed a sigh of relief. Get the picture?

Cruise planning and shopping is almost as fun as playing Call of Duty 4 on-line! The only thing more fun is people watching on the cruise ships. Hopefully I can pass along some of the more interesting moments.

Almost time to catch the cab. And another moment of panic...The Canada Place headline this morning was to the effect that 4 cruise ships in port will impact traffic and loading times and OMG here I go again...(slap)...(slap)...better now...with a Starbucks across the street and unlimited coffee in the Hampton, caffeine overload is approaching.

Will hopefully be better after a few/many on-board drinks.

Glad to see that I am in good company with the affliction of OCPD. I have had the disorder for several years and only those that have it too fully understand it.

Looking forward to your thread since we have the RT Hawaii cruise scheduled for the end of January. Can't wait to hear all about your trip on the live thread. Have a great trip.

Hi Charles,

I also have OCPD, you described it perfectly and it was me to a t:eek::D

Thanks so much from the Live from. I am trying to get my DH to book this cruise for Feb of next year and I would love to hear anything and everything about this cruise. Have a great time!

BTW, do you know if the Golden still has the covered pool area?

Up and out, not necessarily bright this morning. Hectic day at the port with all 3 berths full and NCL over at Ballantyne. Beautiful sailaway.

We are in C753. Yes that BB cabin on the aft with the big balcony on the Port side corner. Our favorite B cabin. Plenty of room, covered balcony, aft wake view, it does not get any better.

First business of the day, LUNCH, pizza, burger, washed down with a nice cool refreshing Long Island Iced Tea...eat your heart out.

Well lubricated, fed and relaxed, we toured the new amenities on the Golden. The Piazza, Vines, Cafe and Crown Grill makeover are absolutely incredible. They did a great a great job! From the tile, marble and wood floors to the dark rich wood trim, the Crown Grill is a sight to see. Far, far better than the old Sterling Steakhouse. We can't wait to try the Crown Grill tonight. Its the Captain's welcome dinner with the waterfall at 730pm instead of at midnight on the Captain's Gala night.

I won't be logging menus until the next cruise. This cruise is pretty much a one time only.

I will have Judy check the bikes, she's also a spinning enthusiast. (Does pretty much everything in her role as the head of Domestic Engineering.)

We did the Sailaway party and I noticed three changes right away. No live band. Might be because this is a once only itineray. The cruise staff was hawking lanyards. Never saw that before. And the giveaways were to a raffle in which you had to visit 10 kiosks around the ship, get your $1000 card stamped at each one, then deposit it in the drum for drawing. ($500 of the reward was a credit on art work.)

New dance called the cha cha slide. A rather subdued sailaway, but then all of the ones from Vancouver have been subdued compared to Caribbean and Mex Riviera sailaways. I bet the one for HI will be pretty wild.

Hit the Wheelhouse at 530 for dancing. NO SMOKING IN THE WHEELHOUSE! They have eliminated the smoking section next to the dance floor. We can now breath and dance at the same time. Unfortunately, the band was so so. One cha, cha later, the band took a 2 hour break and we headed for the new Elite Lounge in Skywalker's. (Yes, they card you at the door.) Gorgeous view. We must have missed the sushi and had cheese/crackers with olives instead. Mingled with a few other couples then went in search of more dance venues.

Ended up at Explorers for the Baby Dolls. OH BOY! Latin, salsa, rock and roll, jazz, swing, you name it, they do it and they do it well. We're gonna have fun with this band.

Made a quick side trip to the Intro Show. Place was packed 15 minutes prior to the early show, but we got two seats up front. Either I'm getting older, which I am, or these kids are getting younger. We recognize a few of the singers.

Dan Bennet, juggler, comedian did a nice show, he's one of our favorites on Princess. We'll have to make time for this full show.

Never did make it to the dining room. Lunch and cheese snacks were enough for me. Judy ran up to the buffet and had beef, gravy, mashed potatoes and veggies, which she pronounced very good.

At 1000 we called it quits. Long 3 weeks leading up to this cruise. Time to catch up on some sleep.

Service has been very good from the get go. Minimal hawking, minimal pushiness, good service. Water and cokes delivered with a smile and quickly. Lots of servers around. Speaks very well of the matre de.

Breakfast this morning in the HC was actually quite good. The french toast was actually good - for those of you just tuning in, French Toast is my benchmark for breakfast - the scambled eggs not overcooked, the omelets nicely done, bacon crispy and even the dreaded syrup coffee not to bad either, although Judy still sticks with her tea bag Folgers.

So now, she's making reservations for tonight at the Crown Grill at 6pm. Its a formal night and we're going to skip the dining room. Back to the cabin, get all the shore excursion stuff and head to Nanaimo on the tenders for a couple hours of sploring.

So that's the morning report...e'ya all later.

I just got off the Golden this AM in YVR and am presently heading back to SEA to get on the Star. I was in the Golden's gym yesterday and the spin bikes were "Star Trac" models. Since I'm not into bikes, I'm not sure what you mean by "... can use bike shoes with them...they only have clips" but eventhough I didn't look too closely at the pedals and whether or not they had toe clips, I would THINK they would be usable with normal sneakers for those who don't travel with bike shoes.

Thanks Paul!!! The Star Trac bikes are new and are the type of bikes I am used to. That is great news. Now I will wait to see if Ccrain's wife can check out if I can use my bike shoes. Sounds very promising!! :D:D

Enjoy enjoy enjoy! We just got off of the Golden on the 12th. The remodel was done very nicely. We were on her to Hawaii in March. One of the best new things on the ship is the International Cafe on deck 5. Lots of good stuff but the best is the warm cookies. Fresh out of the oven. Yum. If you want some milk to go with them just ask at the coffee bar. They will give you a glass. I will be following your thread. We will be doing Hawaii again on the Golden in 2011. Such a long time away but we were able to get an aft balcony so it will be worth the wait. Have a great cruise.

Hi CCrain-

So glad to hear you are enjoying your pre Hawaii cruise. We will be on with you next week and look forward to meeting you at the M&G.

How is the wifi in the cabin? Is it as slow or slower than the internet cafe'? We are still trying to decide whether or not to take our laptop.

Keep your live updates coming; it really is getting us more and more excited.

See you on Monday!!

Sue & Howard

We are in C753. Yes that BB cabin on the aft with the big balcony on the Port side corner. Our favorite B cabin. Plenty of room, covered balcony, aft wake view, it does not get any better.

Princess newbies here ~~ this will be our first Princess cruise, on 10/25/09 on the Golden to Hawaii RT, but not our first Hawaii ~~ we try to do it every fall and this one will be our 6th. We are long time Celebrity cruisers but the Hawaii market has been dropped so we are trying something new and it's exciting !

We will be anxious to read all your reports !

I did think C753 was Starboard, not Port ? :confused: Now we'll spend time thinking up cabin questions for you !;) We are devoted Aft Dwellers and look forward to C 753 !

Have a wonderful cruise ! Only 33 days left for us to wait :D

Thanks for including us on your cruise. We don't get to sail this itinerary for a long, long time (2011) but are booked in C752. I am looking forward to reading of your experiences. Are you in the same C753 for your Hawaii segment as well?

can someone please ask the c/d what was the name of the song druing ur sailaway from Vancouver, i was watching from canada place and i cant name the song while u all were sailing away.

btw there were a 3-4 girls dancing on the concourse of canada place during the song.

Aloha CCrain,

Enjoy your time on the Golden, and I'm sure we'll see you onboard. My wife and I will be getting on in Los Angeles, as we will be the Hawaiian musicians and cultural presenters onboard. Come up and say hello to us.

Dave Soreff

Elua

We will also be going out on the 2nd trip 10-11-09. When we were on Diamond on this trip in 2007 (15 days then) there was a couple singing out by the pool. They won us over when they fired off a few songs from Bruddah Iz. Not sure if it was you in 2007 or not. But it was great. Hope to meet you on the 10-11 cruise.

For those of you on the 9-27 cruise. Have a WONDERFUL time.

And thanks for the live @ ccrain

We will also be going out on the 2nd trip 10-11-09. When we were on Diamond on this trip in 2007 (15 days then) there was a couple singing out by the pool. They won us over when they fired off a few songs from Bruddah Iz. Not sure if it was you in 2007 or not. But it was great. Hope to meet you on the 10-11 cruise.

For those of you on the 9-27 cruise. Have a WONDERFUL time.

And thanks for the live @ ccrain

Don,

We are a few cruises behind you!!!! The whole family will be on the Golden for Thanksgiving! :D:D

I hope you and Debbie have a great time. And I know that you will be skipping that luau at Sealife Park.......:eek::eek:!!!!!!

Don,

We are a few cruises behind you!!!! The whole family will be on the Golden for Thanksgiving! :D:D

I hope you and Debbie have a great time. And I know that you will be skipping that luau at Sealife Park.......:eek::eek:!!!!!!

Ya think Jamie? LOL Great to see ya. We look forward to it SOOOOOOO much. Waiting every other year to do this is a long time. But, still gota work and work is slow. Have a WONDERFUL Turkey Day cruise. THAT would be a blast.

Hi Charles & Judy! We continue to follow your cruising adventures - of course you've far surpassed us since we met on Island Princess in Alaska!

Very curious to hear your impressions of post-rehab Golden. We sailed on her for our Mexican Riviera cruise last year, and we followed the dry dock journal on Princess' website with great interest.

Also interested in your thoughts about the Hawaiian cruise in general. We're thinking ahead to 2011 for our 15th wedding anniversary and considering a Hawaiian or Mediterranean cruise.

Nanaimo was a really great port yesterday. Everyone was so friendly, the weather was gorgeous, the RCMP was there in all their dress uniform glory - there's just something about that bright red uniform and the smokey the bear hat.

People who live in this town are very, very lucky. Its just simply gorgeous. The water front, the trees, the mountains in the background. Phenomenal. We hit the local drug store to pick up one of our forgotten items - foaming hand soap for the bathroom. Much easier to use than the bars of soap and rinses better.

(A slight correction, we are on the starboard side, see what I mean about senior moments? We wanted to stay in C753, begged, borrowed, cajoled - no dice. )

The matre de is Jean Paul. I will get his last name tomorrow.

Alright, now for all the nitty gritty details of yesterday for you poor souls at work.

Every muscle in our bodies is now officially sore. We started the day with a walk around, up down and through Naniamo. Came back to the ship for a swim and a hot tubbing. The main pool is still drained and the front pool was way too cold, so we just soaked in the hot tub for a while.

Lunch was drink, pizza and burgers. Then it was power nap time. Since it was formal night we ordered our canapes, love those black cards, got dressed and hit the Crown Grill for dinner. (There really was no pre-dinner dancing available. A solo guitarist in the Wheelhouse was just not dance material.)

Now, back to the Crown Grill. The menu is extensive with more seafood and a larger selection of meats and appetizers. The decor is absolutely beautiful. You have to see it and touch it to appreciate the design and execution of that space. Just phemomenal.

I ordered the scallops and goose liver, onion soup with blue cheese and lamb chops. Judy ordered the grilled salad and the Brazilian Lobster tail (additional $9 charge).

The amibience was so much better than the old steakhouse, BUT, the service and the food just didn't hold up to the Grand's steakhouse in April. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good. There was nothing specific to fault. For example, service was not as good, but that was probably because the place was packed last night, whereas on the Grand, there were only 3 other couples in the room with us. The lamb as not as good, but Judy's lobster was grilled perfectly.

Recommended? Absolutely, but it did suffer in comparison to our experience on the Grand, which was near perfection. (You can read my review of the Grand in the Member's Section.)

After dinner we hung around the Piazza to see the champagne waterfall. (Another example of a simple change that increases revenue with not much impact on passengers. I'll bet there were 2x or 3x as many waterfall pictures taken and will be purchased because it wasn't done at midnight.) Not only that but a lot more people were able to participate. Again everyone wins!

(BTW - On the tender back from Nanaimo, we got a good look at the balconies on the new deck 15 suites. My next goal in life. 30days across the pacific in one of those.)

After the champagne waterfall we changed clothes to start a night of serious dancing. With over 20 days of rich food remaining, we have to work some of this off.

We started in the Wheelhouse with Equinox. Better than the night before. The place packed up quickly and the dance floor got very crowded - thank goodness for the new smoking rules. From there we wandered over to Explorer's lounge to dance to the Baby Dolls for 30 minutes and hot footed it back to the Wheelhouse when Princess Pop Star started.

After that it was back to the Explorer's for the 70's party and about 45 minutes of non-stop disco, including the hustle line dance. The Baby Dolls took a break, came back and Judy and I finished the night with a few more dances and then off to bed well after midnight for some sleep.

All in all, a very good day and night.

Today, according to the patter will be a long one. We have so much to do, we won't be able to do it all. The beginners ball room dance class will be foxtrot and we haven't learned that one yet.

That's it from Victoria. We're headed out for a walk around town.

Charles,

Has Judy ordered the vegetarian pizza with everything on it. It was so good! Enjoy your cruise.

Sally

They don't have a pizza place like the Sun class, or at least we haven't found it yet. Its typically 3 selections of pizza with 1 special each day.

Nice to have you along!

Archived