Honestly! How much weight do you put on?

canadiansnowbird

A lot depends on the foods you enjoy and will indulge in. I love fresh fruit and vegatables. I like them all plain (no sugar, fatty sauces) I also eat lobster, bread without butter etc. On past cruises I would get a dessert containing fruit. I would just eat the fruit and waste the cake or what it came with. On our last cruise after doing this the first couple days, I just asked for a bowl of plain berries each night for dessert! To my surprise it was no problem. I really don't gain because most of my favorites are actully low calerie! My husband, on the other hand loves the sweets, cakes, icecream and fatty foods. He has gained about 10 lbs. each cruise. He's lucky he takes it right off but still gains that much that quick.

I am a personal fitness trainer who just today returned from a seven day Alaska cruise on the Star Princess. Most of my clients are on weight loss programs - exercise and nutrition.

I was amazed at the number of people on this cruise who would easily meet the definition of obese. It was quite an eye opener for me to see so many overweight and out of shape people in one place. Though the Star was full, I did not see many people walking the Promenade Deck. I took Yoga and Spin classes. Only three people showed up for Yoga and six for Spin. The ship tied up only a mile from Juneau. Most took the shuttle and of those who walked to town, it seemed most were crew members.

I saw one man who appeared to be in his forties sitting on a bench on the Promenade Deck smoking a cigar. He was as wide as the bench and needed help just getting up. I saw many men and women with swollen ankles.

In the Horizon Court, I became pretty good at guessing the size of the person carrying the tray by the amount of food on it or at breakfast by the amount of bacon on it. Much the same way I can tell the size of the person pushing a grocery cart by looking at what is in the cart.

In my opinion, America is in big trouble, because we are becoming a very fat nation.

It matters less about how much one gains on a cruise as how much they weigh before and after the cruise. I suggest taking a good look at people who are ten or twenty years older and asking yourself if that is your future.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but this cruise made a big impact on me.[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a personal trainer I am shocked to think it took a cruise for this reality to hit home. Where I am from (the Caribbean) Americans are know for their size and generosity. There is NO becoming! In said country size is a sign of good living, the abilty to eat is a luxury. :)))))))))

Sorry, but I disagree. Though, I work with people who are overweight, I do not take joy in watching them do the things that contribute to their excess weight. Quite the contrary. While you may think size is a sign of good living, I believe it is just the opposite. The people I work with don't come to me so much out of concern about their size, but out of concern as to how their eating habits have adversely affected their health. In my country, size is a sign of early onset diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart attacks. All brought on by bad eating habits. Obesity is epidemic in the USA, reaching down to our children. When I said we are becoming a fat nation, it is because studies show a marked increase in obesity over the past 30 years. Yes,I am used to seeing fat people, but it still hit home to see so many in a concentrated setting.:mad:(((((((((

In my opinion I don't think you are sorry but simply found a politically correct way to put out something you always wanted to as a persoanl trainer. You are a personal trainer, you should be well aware of this about your countrymen.

"In the Horizon Court, I became pretty good at guessing the size of the person carrying the tray by the amount of food on it or at breakfast by the amount of bacon on it. Much the same way I can tell the size of the person pushing a grocery cart by looking at what is in the cart"

In my world this is RUDE. As a personal trainer the leaner of lean among us, you like to watch and judge fat people. Long before you got on the ship, you saw them in the grocery store, and judged them in the grocery store. You spent your vacation watching people's azz.....good for you!

It may be rude in your world, but in mine, it is just observing behavior to get a better understanding of the things that contribute to obesity. It would be rude if I confronted someone or made my observations known, which I don't. I don't judge or like watching fat people.

I agree with most everything stated above. One exception, as a few others have noted, is the buffet. We usually eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet. We're just careful what types of food we select, and how much of each dish!

For us, the buffet is a great way to try different foods. We usually go with high protein, low fat/carbs. The only carb exception are the fruits and vegetables. We probably eat more of these on a cruise than at home since they always seem so fresh and good on a Princess cruise.

Every once in awhile we'll enjoy a special dessert or a cookie--but not every day! We'll also eat in the specialty restaurants at least twice on a cruise to break-up the "sameness" on the dining room experience. Again, we are careful to select what we eat, and not over do it--even in Sabatini's, which isn't always easy.

To answer the OP's question, I usually weigh about the same when I return from a 7 to 21 day cruise vacation as before I left. A pound either way to me is staying about the same.

It may be rude in your world, but in mine, it is just observing behavior to get a better understanding of the things that contribute to obesity. It would be rude if I confronted someone or made my observations known, which I don't. I don't judge or like watching fat people.

Please go back and read your post about seeing people in the buffet and grocery store and guessing their size. As a personal trainer YOU have an understanding, gosh it's not that difficult. How much of your vacation time did it take for you to excel at the guessing game? You just made your observation known but using a computer monitor to make it easier.

"In the Horizon Court, I became pretty good at guessing the size of the person carrying the tray by the amount of food on it or at breakfast by the amount of bacon on it. Much the same way I can tell the size of the person pushing a grocery cart by looking at what is in the cart"

Please go back and read your post about seeing people in the buffet and grocery store and guessing their size. As a personal trainer YOU have an understanding, gosh it's not that difficult. How much of your vacation time did it take for you to excel at the guessing game? You just made your observation known but using a computer monitor to make it easier.

Then I apologize for the way I phrased the point I was trying to make, which is most fat people have bad eating habits. I may have given the impression that I spent my vacation with a clipboard observing people going through the line at the Horizon Court, when it is more like glancing at someone's tray piled high with bacon and then glancing at the person carrying the tray or glancing at someone's grocery cart with two jumbo bags of Lays Potato Chips and a case of soda and then glancing at the person behind the cart. You are right, it isn't that difficult.

Archived