Honestly! How much weight do you put on?

canadiansnowbird

I will speak for the indulgently prone cruiser who will gain a pound every day for the extent of the cruise. Thank goodness we rarely go for more than 10 days. I lose 5-10 lbs before the cruise, and gain 10 lbs on the cruise while not missing a single meal including the odd late evening buffet thrown in. I then take off the surplus weight gain over a month after returning home. Works every time (at least so far).

I usually don't gain any weight. I try to eat all meals in the dining room because the buffet is much too tempting. If I don't eat breakfast in the dining room, I order cereal and fruit from room service. I talso ry to eat only salads for lunch. I love fish so most of my dinners are fish in the dining room. And I consistently walk at least a mile in the morning and late afternoon every day by doing laps on the promenade deck. In comparison my dh eats anything and everything, doesn't do laps on the promenad deck with me and drinks much more than I do. He never gains any weight!

I always have a hard time with my weight, but not on a cruise! I came home a few pounds thinner. I try to drop a few pounds before we go. Then on the cruise we are so busy. We visited the excerise room a couple times. We also did a lot of walking, it a big ship! We took the stairs most of the time.

I think I was so worried about gaining 10 pounds that I didn't eat all I wanted to. I only eat the choc. chip cookies one time. Our next cruise in March I'm not going to worry about gaining weight and just enjoy myself. It is vacation after all!

A side note, my uncle went on a 2 week cruise and gain 15 pounds!! But he is a "get your money worth" kind of a guy.:rolleyes:

I am a personal fitness trainer who just today returned from a seven day Alaska cruise on the Star Princess. Most of my clients are on weight loss programs - exercise and nutrition.

I was amazed at the number of people on this cruise who would easily meet the definition of obese. It was quite an eye opener for me to see so many overweight and out of shape people in one place. Though the Star was full, I did not see many people walking the Promenade Deck. I took Yoga and Spin classes. Only three people showed up for Yoga and six for Spin. The ship tied up only a mile from Juneau. Most took the shuttle and of those who walked to town, it seemed most were crew members.

I saw one man who appeared to be in his forties sitting on a bench on the Promenade Deck smoking a cigar. He was as wide as the bench and needed help just getting up. I saw many men and women with swollen ankles.

In the Horizon Court, I became pretty good at guessing the size of the person carrying the tray by the amount of food on it or at breakfast by the amount of bacon on it. Much the same way I can tell the size of the person pushing a grocery cart by looking at what is in the cart.

In my opinion, America is in big trouble, because we are becoming a very fat nation.

It matters less about how much one gains on a cruise as how much they weigh before and after the cruise. I suggest taking a good look at people who are ten or twenty years older and asking yourself if that is your future.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but this cruise made a big impact on me.

Well, I've got a lot of pointers so far;

1. Miss the breakfast buffet - have cereal and fruit from room service.

2. Walk everywhere - I know we will walk a far bit, we have an aft cabin which will help with walking off meals.

3. Don't go to the buffet

4. Eat only the delicious things in small amounts. (Warm cookies)

5. Don't go to the buffet.

6. Don't order every course. I find that even now, I can't eat as much as I used to, even when we go to a buffet; I'll have one salad plate and one main and one dessert.

7. Don't go to the buffet.

And if all else fails, hide a pair of size larger pants with elastic waist for each of you to fly home. ;)

Snowbird

Well, I've got a lot of pointers so far;

1. Miss the breakfast buffet - have cereal and fruit from room service.

2. Walk everywhere - I know we will walk a far bit, we have an aft cabin which will help with walking off meals.

3. Don't go to the buffet

4. Eat only the delicious things in small amounts. (Warm cookies)

5. Don't go to the buffet.

6. Don't order every course. I find that even now, I can't eat as much as I used to, even when we go to a buffet; I'll have one salad plate and one main and one dessert.

7. Don't go to the buffet.

And if all else fails, hide a pair of size larger pants with elastic waist for each of you to fly home. ;)

Snowbird

While many of those pointers may be valid, the best pointer is to lead a healthy lifestyle before and after the cruise, then you won't have to worry about it.

Lifestyles aside, I am fairly conscious about what I eat, I always try to stick to fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains, that being said, I've always had problems with my weight, it runs in my family through and through. Prior to ANY cruise, I diet and work out like there's no tomorrow, usually losing a good 25 lbs. When I am on the ship, I eat what I want, when I want. I do avoid sodium, there is so much salt in everything these days, you will never see me add salt to anything, on a cruise though, its in everything, so like a previous poster I bring diuretics

(water pills) with me, and drink lots of water. I drink approx. 3 quarts or more a day, on a cruise, its a bit harder to do, I pack my own water, but can usually fit just a 24 pack.

My best piece of advice is, if it "needs" salt to taste it, don't eat it! Its already loaded with salt, you'll be a blowfish by morning, especially if you are in hot or humid weather! We too always book those aft minis, and walk walk walk! I have hip and knee problems, but if I'm feeling pretty good, I will take the stairs as long as its no more than 4 flights (I'll pay for it later) I am an impatient person anyhow and hate waiting for the elevators :D

I am not a big drinker either, I think this saves me, I will drink 0-3 drinks a day on a cruise and usually something like a martini, not too many blended drinks these days. On a 10 day cruise I will have about 4 days of no alcoholic beverages, 3 days with about 3 drinks per day and the rest only having 1 or 2. We also love to snorkel and just love the water in general, so port days when were at a beach, you will find me in the water the WHOLE time, I don't want to waste one second of it. I don't eat breakfast, just have coffee, and that's about it!

I always watch what I eat and am at the low end of the ideal weight range for my height - somthing in years gone by I didn't even think was physically possible :eek:. At home we eat very well, rarely have dessert and have, by most peoples standards, very small portions and really watch the amount of carbs we consume.

So, when I go on a cruise it is very easy for me to gain weight. I do really enjoy having breakfast, 3 course lunches & 5 course dinners in the dining room every day so I do have to work hard at maintaining my current ideal weight. After 25+ cruises my weight management strategy consists of:

1. 20 minutes of interval training on the bike/treadmill/jogging track each morning

2. Never, and yes, I really do mean never, use the elevators onboard

3. On sea days spend 30-60 mins in the afternoon walking around the promenade deck

4. On sea days spend 30-60 minutes swimming with my daughter

5. Never finish everything on my plate. eg. If I'm having a great steak for an entree, I eat and thoroughly enjoy the steak, but forgo the potatoes and butter-soaked beans and the other sides

6. If the dish is not fantastic, don't eat it - it's not worth the calories to consume average tasting food

7. On the rare occasions I visit the buffet, use those massive plates as a tray for transporting small bowls & plates of food, not a plate.

8. Choose just 1 or 2 things from the buffet that you would like to try, don't sample everything

9. Only have 1/2 - 1 bread roll with dinner

10. Abondon all the above eating guidlines when dining in Sabatini's or Chef's table....lol

I'm sure to many this will sound like the holiday from hell, but it allows me to enjoy eating as much food as I choose and feel great getting off at the same weight that I boarded :D

In December we went on a 14 day cruise to South America and I only gained 4 pounds. Our daughter got married in March of this year and I already had my dress so I knew I could not gain to much as that helped.

I find if you go to the main dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner and avoid the buffet you eat less because its not there in front of you. At dinner I limit myself to 1 roll instead of 3 with butter. Avoid the cakes and pies and just order dessert at dinner like one scoop of icecream and I do walk two miles every day around the decks whenever possible like sea days.

I usually try to lose 5 pounds before we go just to give me some cushion. That is what I am doing this time, losing 5 pounds for our upcoming cruise which is 13 days but with this one being very port instensive for 7 days in a row I think that will help. Happy cruising:):):)

On the last two weeker, b2b on Caribbean Princess doing Canada/NE I gained 2 lbs. after waiting 2 days when home to adjust for all the excess sodium in the food onboard. Why? Because we actually consume alcohol when onboard, and at home I just don't bother to drink. I am not sure I actually drank 7000 cal (two pounds worth), so it might have a little to do with larger portions and desserts as well. Had those lbs. back off after 2 more days, and working on taking more off.

Prior to ANY cruise, I diet and work out like there's no tomorrow, usually losing a good 25 lbs. Every time one loses and gains it back on, one retains new fat cells, which makes it harder to lose next time. I don't eat breakfast, just have coffee, and that's about it! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. By skipping breakfast, one lowers metabolism, which makes iit easier to gan weight.
Again, the best advice is to maintain a consistant healthy lifestyle.

You have not offended me. While I haven't seen quite that level of obesity on the cruises I've been on (I've seen primarily older people and young families) you make a good point about making a decision as to what you wish to look like. I'll admit that I hate exercise, and I'm far from the most fit person. But I want to like what I see when I look in the mirror. I want to be able to dress up on formal night and feel fabulous. And it is this feeling, more than anything, that encourages me to stick to my normal diet.

That being said, a cruise is a vacation, and for me, part of the fun comes from eating wonderful food, in amounts that keep me satisfied. I think you can enjoy yourself on a cruise when it comes to food, but still maintain a reasonable figure by watching yourself the rest of the time. It's like at the holidays, when we all want to eat a lot at Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or on our birthdays... but we have to remember we can't eat like that every day.

You've got to have fun and enjoy your food sometimes. You just need to make sure that it stays as 'sometimes'.

I know the walk you're talking about in Juneau, and we took it, because it was actually sunny that day and it rained during the rest of our Alaskan trip! We all enjoyed the walk, and it wasn't far... a mile seems excessive... you just mean up the dock, and left along the street, correct? I remember walking all over town that day. Of course, we're the type of family who will walk 8-10 miles a day at Disneyland without blinking an eye. ;)

And there was one other point I wanted to make: the exercises classes on the ship often cost extra. Personally, I try to keep my shipboard account to a minimum. Even if I were a daily exerciser, I would never take one of those classes. I'd just go into the gym and work out on my own. So I'm not sure that's a good gauge of exercise level. I think a better estimate would be 'Are the treadmills full?'. I've been on some cruises where DH complained that he couldn't get a timeslot and they were all booked up in advance.

It's like at the holidays, when we all want to eat a lot at Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or on our birthdays... but we have to remember we can't eat like that every day.

You've got to have fun and enjoy your food sometimes. You just need to make sure that it stays as 'sometimes'.

I know the walk you're talking about in Juneau, and we took it, because it was actually sunny that day and it rained during the rest of our Alaskan trip! We all enjoyed the walk, and it wasn't far... a mile seems excessive... you just mean up the dock, and left along the street, correct? I remember walking all over town that day. Of course, we're the type of family who will walk 8-10 miles a day at Disneyland without blinking an eye. ;)

And there was one other point I wanted to make: the exercises classes on the ship often cost extra. Personally, I try to keep my shipboard account to a minimum. Even if I were a daily exerciser, I would never take one of those classes. I'd just go into the gym and work out on my own. So I'm not sure that's a good gauge of exercise level. I think a better estimate would be 'Are the treadmills full?'. I've been on some cruises where DH complained that he couldn't get a timeslot and they were all booked up in advance.

I agree about it being a vacation. I certainly don't miss any meals or desserts on a cruise. The Star Princess tied up at the furthest pier from downtown Juneau, so it was a mile walk. I had a GPS that registered 3.9 miles, which included the walk back and forth to the ship, plus around town. It rained almost the entire time. While Yoga, Spin, and Pilates classes do cost, they also offer free exercise classes. I was just surprised there were so few people taking the classes out of several thousand passengers on board. Certainly no where near the number of people spending big bucks on spa treatments. Although the treadmills were busy in the morning, most people were leisurely walking on them. There is little benefit to walking unless one is doing it at a brisk enough pace to raise the heart rate.

I am a man in my late 40's and I used to gain 10lbs every cruise I went on. My wife, she gained nothing. The only thing we did different was she always used the stairs no matter how many flights she had to climb or desend. She said I should follow her example and I too could get off the ship at the same weight I got on. I gave it a try on our last cruise and guess what! She was right I didn't gain a pound!!!

I hate it when she's right.

I usually don't put any weight on. I go to the gym 5x/week at home but on a cruise I walk on the Promenade deck 2x/day, walk as much as I can in ports, never use elevators.

When I eat in the buffet, I only put 1 course on the plate and get up and get more food if I am still hungry after the 1st plate is empty.

I take fruit to the cabin so I have something to snack on in the afternoon. I love seafood so I order mainly seafood entrees at dinner and always an extra plate of steamed veggies.

I order every souffle that is offered for dessert !:p

I don't put on any weight on a cruise...mostly because my eating habits don't change.......

While I might enjoy an ice cream or fancy dessert, I rarely eat more than 2 meals a day....and rarely more than 1 or 2 drinks.

Plus, I'm a walker. You'll find me on the upper or top deck somewhere right around sunrise when it's serenely peaceful and quiet, nobody around, watching the sun come up..... I'm not a speed walker or anything, just enjoy that morning walkaround.

I have friends, though, who pack it on!!!! Of course, they are two-fisted eaters on a cruise.......:D

On a longer cruise, I normally loose about 3-5 pounds. HONESTLY!

I have never seen the inside of the gym, or ever used the equipment there. I just walk a lot, rarely take the elevators, and we take quite a few swimming/snorkeling excursions on warmer climate cruises.

Plus, I don't eat like it is my last meal every day, as I have seen others do. I enjoy anything and everything I want to eat, I just don't stuff myself or eat when I am not hungry.

I agree (in reality I don't believe I've ever disagreed with you) that any gain in weight is a function of spending too much time at the "hog trough" and not enough time taking the stairs or walk around the ship on those days not in port. On the days in port, we usually supplement any tours that are in vehicles with a self-guided walking tour of the port area. By doing this we have yet to gain weight even with the longest of voyages. Matter of fact we tend to lose weight with voyages over 8 days because we spend more time walking around than we do at home.

I am a personal fitness trainer who just today returned from a seven day Alaska cruise on the Star Princess. Most of my clients are on weight loss programs - exercise and nutrition.

I was amazed at the number of people on this cruise who would easily meet the definition of obese. It was quite an eye opener for me to see so many overweight and out of shape people in one place. Though the Star was full, I did not see many people walking the Promenade Deck. I took Yoga and Spin classes. Only three people showed up for Yoga and six for Spin. The ship tied up only a mile from Juneau. Most took the shuttle and of those who walked to town, it seemed most were crew members.

I saw one man who appeared to be in his forties sitting on a bench on the Promenade Deck smoking a cigar. He was as wide as the bench and needed help just getting up. I saw many men and women with swollen ankles.

In the Horizon Court, I became pretty good at guessing the size of the person carrying the tray by the amount of food on it or at breakfast by the amount of bacon on it. Much the same way I can tell the size of the person pushing a grocery cart by looking at what is in the cart.

In my opinion, America is in big trouble, because we are becoming a very fat nation.

It matters less about how much one gains on a cruise as how much they weigh before and after the cruise. I suggest taking a good look at people who are ten or twenty years older and asking yourself if that is your future.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but this cruise made a big impact on me.[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a personal trainer I am shocked to think it took a cruise for this reality to hit home. Where I am from (the Caribbean) Americans are know for their size and generosity. There is NO becoming! In said country size is a sign of good living, the abilty to eat is a luxury. :)))))))))

For those who keep saying, "Don't go to the buffet," it depends on the person.

We don't gain much, if anything, and eat at the buffet twice a day, breakfast and lunch. But there is NOTHING that says you have to fill a plate until stuff runs off the side. We take small servings of a limited number of items. It is all about self control.

In my opinion I don't think you are sorry but simply found a politically correct way to put out something you always wanted to as a persoanl trainer. You are a personal trainer, you should be well aware of this about your countrymen.

"In the Horizon Court, I became pretty good at guessing the size of the person carrying the tray by the amount of food on it or at breakfast by the amount of bacon on it. Much the same way I can tell the size of the person pushing a grocery cart by looking at what is in the cart"

In my world this is RUDE. As a personal trainer the leaner of lean among us, you like to watch and judge fat people. Long before you got on the ship, you saw them in the grocery store, and judged them in the grocery store. You spent your vacation watching people's azz.....good for you!

Archived