TA or On Your Own?!

redtinarn

We are planning a trip to Hawaii June 30th-July 12th next year. I have already booked the cruise for July 3rd on POA myself. We want to fly to Oahu for 3 nights then take the cruise but disembark on Kauai. We then want to stay on Kauai for 3 days before flying home. I have asked several TA's for quotes, and I have been able to find many of the same accommodations, flights, and rental cars for cheaper than their quotes. However I'm worried about booking such an expensive trip in a far away from home place without anyone to assist us if we get there and have problems. I plan on getting trip insurance, though, through Travel Insured International (any comments about them welcomed!). Any suggestions or opinions welcomed!

I am curious what HELP you think they would be if you are there and they are back in where ever. I have never had Help from an agent and the one time I used one and needed it I got a recording saying they were closed till Monday.

I always book things myself and keep copies of EVERYTHING. I always have been my own best advocate.

If you have a good travel agent that has a 24 hour emergency service, then they can be helpful. And if you're not comfortable with booking your own arrangements, then they're helpful.

For example, on my next cruise, we're flying to London and coming back via Oslo, and I wasn't comfortable doing the flight arrangements, so found a travel agent to work with. I fed her all the information about the cruise we wanted to take, hotels we wanted to stay in, how long we wanted to stay at each end of our cruise (1 day in England, 4 days in Oslo), what kind of flights we were looking at, and set her loose to get it all arranged, which she did. We were in communication by phone and email at least daily, and sometimes several times a day, until everything was set.

But for the land-based vacation we took this year, to Canada, I made all the arrangements myself. And in your case, where, although the distances are long, you're still in the US, after all!, I'd probably book myself.

I can't help with the insurance question. We usually use TravelGuard, but I've never had to make a claim, so don't really know how good they are, either.

In my experience, TA's aren't much help. On the other hand they can save you a lot of money, especially on cruises. We always book cruises through online TA's to save hundreds off the cruise line's fare. If you want to be able to talk directly with the cruise line regarding your reservation, though, you need to book directly with them.

We are planning a trip to Hawaii June 30th-July 12th next year. I have already booked the cruise for July 3rd on POA myself. We want to fly to Oahu for 3 nights then take the cruise but disembark on Kauai. We then want to stay on Kauai for 3 days before flying home. I have asked several TA's for quotes, and I have been able to find many of the same accommodations, flights, and rental cars for cheaper than their quotes. However I'm worried about booking such an expensive trip in a far away from home place without anyone to assist us if we get there and have problems. I plan on getting trip insurance, though, through Travel Insured International (any comments about them welcomed!). Any suggestions or opinions welcomed!

I always book my own vacations. There are tons of websites available to find the best deals. Just takes some time and a lot of typing! If you start looking now, I'm sure you can find some great deals on hotels in Hawaii, since occupancy is really low right now. You could probabaly lock in a price now for a room in July. I would look on line for the best deal and then call the hotel directly for a quote. You'd be amazed at how many hotels offer better rates directly than through any website you might find. Also, check your Sunday papers travel section. Sometimes you can get air, room and car for a really great deal. My parents (in NJ) use those deals just for the air alone - they stay at my house, and give us the hotel room for a long weekend getaway and a place to stay during the week if they go into Waikiki!

I always book my own vacations. There are tons of websites available to find the best deals. Just takes some time and a lot of typing! If you start looking now, I'm sure you can find some great deals on hotels in Hawaii, since occupancy is really low right now. You could probabaly lock in a price now for a room in July. I would look on line for the best deal and then call the hotel directly for a quote. You'd be amazed at how many hotels offer better rates directly than through any website you might find. Also, check your Sunday papers travel section. Sometimes you can get air, room and car for a really great deal. My parents (in NJ) use those deals just for the air alone - they stay at my house, and give us the hotel room for a long weekend getaway and a place to stay during the week if they go into Waikiki!

Great advice. Travel agents don't have access to anything you can't access for hotel rooms and airfare. In fact, if you use Hotwire or Priceline for hotel you can get better deals than they can if you know how to use them.

Peter

I recommend using an agent. It costs you absolutely nothing to use an agent. Agents know and are able to book promotions from cruise lines before they are released to the general public. Many agents will block group space on a cruise ship so they can offer it their clients. The price will be reduced and you get some kick backs in your room also.

You might want to check about disembarking on Kaui, before the cruise ends. Some cruise lines do not allow you to do this. I have read on these boards about people trying to do it and being denied. If your cruise line connection has said its ok, be sure to keep a copy of this approval just in case someone on the ship says no.

I recommend using an agent. It costs you absolutely nothing to use an agent. Agents know and are able to book promotions from cruise lines before they are released to the general public. Many agents will block group space on a cruise ship so they can offer it their clients. The price will be reduced and you get some kick backs in your room also.

These days it does cost something to book with a lot of agents..usually the fees are small (mine charged $35 to book flights, hotels and the cruise), and sometimes absorbed into the cost of the bookings if you're a long-time client, but while it won't cost anything to talk to an agent, do check to see if there are charges if you book with one, and then you'll have to decide if it's worth it.

I am curious what HELP you think they would be if you are there and they are back in where ever. I have never had Help from an agent and the one time I used one and needed it I got a recording saying they were closed till Monday.

I always book things myself and keep copies of EVERYTHING. I always have been my own best advocate.

Ditto, why put your life in a strangers hands :cool:

There is some debate on which way to book a cruise; but very little if any on airfare and hotels. I've never heard of a TA booking thru priceline or hotwire and those rates will beat anything else. So if you know how to use those two sites, it will cost you more for your room if you book thru a TA.

Peter

You will find that most sites you go on will give you a price that may make you believe they are cheaper than a travel agent can give however they usually don't show taxes or other requirements as well as the fact that you may be booking a reservation that does not allow you any flexibility for change and there isn't any refund if you can't travel. You are better off to use a Travel Agent as they do the worrying for you and make sure you do not get into situations you can't get out of. Have a good day, Meech

Great advice. Travel agents don't have access to anything you can't access for hotel rooms and airfare. In fact, if you use Hotwire or Priceline for hotel you can get better deals than they can if you know how to use them.

Peter

In fact travel agents may have access to packages including airfare and hotels that can be cheaper than what you can get booking on your own.

I'm not talking about going on to Priceline and bidding for a night or two here or there, but rather more extensive itineraries.

You might want to check about disembarking on Kaui, before the cruise ends. Some cruise lines do not allow you to do this. I have read on these boards about people trying to do it and being denied. If your cruise line connection has said its ok, be sure to keep a copy of this approval just in case someone on the ship says no.

I thought this was an issue with cruises that are subject to the Jones Act or Passenger Services Act and had to stop at a foreign port.

I don't think it should be a problem in the POA Hawaii itinerary because it is an American flagged ship going between US Ports, so leaving the ship at any port should be okay. However, you do want to let the crew know about this so they won't be searching for you.

In fact travel agents may have access to packages including airfare and hotels that can be cheaper than what you can get booking on your own.

I'm not talking about going on to Priceline and bidding for a night or two here or there, but rather more extensive itineraries.

I was answering a quote from someone who was trying to deal specifically with the OP's situation which was some airfare and hotels for two sets of three nights. A package deal from a travel agent will likely not work out as they are not wanting a hotel during the cruise days. Packages generally need to be in sync with the airfare dates.

Once again, if you know what you are doing with Priceline and Hotwire, the hotel rates cannot be beat. Travel agents won't use those two sources because they don't get paid. If the OP goes with a travel agent, they will pay more than if they book themselves on Priceline or Hotwire. That's all I'm saying.

Peter

I really want a 2 bedroom condo in Oahu & Kauai as we have very tall children coming with us who need their own beds! How do you find a good condo? I know about VRBO.com, but I know travel agents have access to lots of condos!

I was going to recommend vrbo but you mentioned that you know about it. My husband and I rented a townhouse in Baltimore Habour with our daughter and her family through vrbo and were very pleased. Our daughter and son in law also used vrbo to rent a condo in Chicago, as well as a house in the Mountains and had positive experiences.

I really want a 2 bedroom condo in Oahu & Kauai as we have very tall children coming with us who need their own beds! How do you find a good condo? I know about VRBO.com, but I know travel agents have access to lots of condos!

If you would have told us that in your original post, you could have saved me and several TA advocates a lot of trouble.

There was no bashing in my posts simply information that for airline and hotel rooms, TA's have no advantage; especially when you throw a cruise in the middle. The man was asking "TA or on your own".

Peter

Go to Tripadvisor.com travel forum for Kauai. The destination experts there are terrific. If you ask that same question on that board I am sure you will get numerous ideas of condos which will fit the bill. Alot of times they will even provide links to the sites with photos etc. One woman named Janet has good advice for people. You might even want to have your subject line question say "Janet need a 2 bedroom condo where do I start" or something like that.

Come back and let us know how it works out.

If you would have told us that in your original post, you could have saved me and several TA advocates a lot of trouble.

There was no bashing in my posts simply information that for airline and hotel rooms, TA's have no advantage; especially when you throw a cruise in the middle. The man was asking "TA or on your own".

Peter

This could just be my perception, but you sure come across very brutal on here. How does wanting a condo versus a hotel make a difference whether I want to use a TA or not? I think I explained all of my concerns in both of my posts. If I seem brutal on here (or ignorant), I don't mean to be. Can't we all just get along?!;)

Archived