Specialty Restaurants- by yourself?

sunryz710

Here is the situation. I am traveling with 2 extremely picky eaters.

They both pretty much live on salad and pasta. They do not eat any meat or fish and also will not try dishes they never had before.. Makes things difficult on a cruise. I am totally opposite of them.

I want to go to Cagneys but I know they will not find anything to eat there. (Crazy!, but true!) 3 questions:

1- Do you think they would allow my mom and sister to sit with me while I order and eat? They absolutely wouldn't eat a thing.. may order a drink but that is it. I just don't want to pay 75 dollars when they will not eat.

2- Do you think I could order cagneys to go? Order and bring it to my room or something..

3- Has anyone went to the specialty restaurants alone before? Would they sit me with others? How would that work? I feel wierd doing this.

Just trying to plan out how I can do this.

Thanks.

Sun

Here is the situation. I am traveling with 2 extremely picky eaters.

They both pretty much live on salad and pasta. They do not eat any meat or fish and also will not try dishes they never had before.. Makes things difficult on a cruise. I am totally opposite of them.

I want to go to Cagneys but I know they will not find anything to eat there. (Crazy!, but true!) 3 questions:

1- Do you think they would allow my mom and sister to sit with me while I order and eat? They absolutely wouldn't eat a thing.. may order a drink but that is it. I just don't want to pay 75 dollars when they will not eat.

2- Do you think I could order cagneys to go? Order and bring it to my room or something..

3- Has anyone went to the specialty restaurants alone before? Would they sit me with others? How would that work? I feel wierd doing this.

Just trying to plan out how I can do this.

Thanks.

Sun

If the others go with you, it's likely they'll be charged. If you go by yourself, you'd be able to sit by yourself. A suggestion -- once you get on board you'll meet people -- see if you can find someone to go with you. Or join the roll call here on this site, and see if someone or a group of folks from there are going, and you all can go together.

My husband is the opposite of a picky eater - he will eat hot dogs and pizza and think it the best meal in the world. Consequently, he balks at paying for the specialty restaurants. I on the other hand love the specialty restaurants. On RCCL, I went at least once, usually twice, to a specialty restaurant. I usually brought a book, was seated alone, and it was fine. I bring a book because I think I would feel weird just sitting there, but when I can read I am fine. Worth it!

Sorry I can't answer #1 or #2.

As for #3, I've been to specialties several times by myself and seen others eating solo when I've been with DH.

Probably the most fun is Teppanyaki as the sections are for 8 people. You can meet others. Since there's a "show" with the hibachi cooking right on th grill in front of you, it's easy to start a conversation.

At other restaurants they won't seat you with others in general. There may not be another "solo" and others don't usually seek out the specialities to share a table. You would have better luck in one of the DR's when it comes to sharing with others.

Not sure what kind of food your friends will eat but you might have a word with the maitre d' in Cagney's to see what could be "adjusted" for them so that you could enjoy the evening together. Have they looked at the various menus online here - maybe one of the menus somewhere would appeal to them.

Two of the great things about Cagneys are the food and the atmosphere. While you probably could get the order to go you miss out by not being there. I do not remember if they have a vegetagrian option on their menu you but one thing you could do is have your mom and sister order from the MDR menu and it will be brought up to them. You probably won't want to do that because of the added charge. My suggestion is to just go and have a good time! You can get a table by yourself and still probably talk to folks at adjoining tables. I sure do like their crab legs! :)

Sun - Absolutely go yourself & ENJOY! My husband has gone on several cruises "solo" and one of his favorite things to do IS to go to the specialty restaurants! There's a lot to watch & observe - don't feel self-concious at all !!! Treat yourself and have a great time!

Hey Sunryz. I know I read another thread a while ago about getting meals to go in specialty resturants. I beleive there were some people who have done it. They may have ordered first then asked for to to go due to not feeling well but I do recall a post that the meal was brought to their cabin. You can try a search to see if you can find the thread or wait it out to see if you can get an answer here.

As Snorklin'barb said, Teppanyaki's is a great place to dine with others as it a group event! It is my favorite and a lot of fun if you get tht right mix. (and the food was excellent IMHO).:)

If you have your heart set on Cagney's then, as suggested, maybe someone from the Roll Call is going and wouldn't mind a third, or you can make arrangements to have it sent to your cabin. I know it's no fun eating alone so I hope it works out for you.

Does anyone know the Cagney's menu? Doe it have a veg./pasta selection?

If you have your heart set on Cagney's then, as suggested, maybe someone from the Roll Call is going and wouldn't mind a third, or you can make arrangements to have it sent to your cabin. I know it's no fun eating alone so I hope it works out for you.

Does anyone know the Cagney's menu? Doe it have a veg./pasta selection?

Hi LOWTYD! Believe me, I would rather eat myself than bother other people from roll call during their vacation. I will be fine.. it will not be the first time I eat by myself I travel for business often.. just never did so on a cruise. I am just trying to get all my options together.

Even if Cagneys has a vegetarian dish.. chances are it will be too "wierd" for my mom and sister.. they are extremely picky.. you have no idea.

We may go to Teppanyaki together and maybe even a couple others not sure... but I specifically want to eat at Cagneys and I know it won't be a good match for them.

Thanks!

Many of my meals in specialty restaurants have been solo. However, it is my practice to go very early, so seating is never a problem. If you reserve a solo spot for close to opening time you should enjoy it thoroughly.

Great! Thanks Fin! So then the restaurants tend to be busy later than earlier.. Do you know when they open?

The specialty restaurants usually open between 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Many of the specialty restaurants have 1/2 price specials, on port days, if you arrive before 6:00 p.m..

Take care,

Mike

Hi LOWTYD! Believe me, I would rather eat myself than bother other people from roll call during their vacation. I will be fine.. it will not be the first time I eat by myself I travel for business often.. just never did so on a cruise. I am just trying to get all my options together.

Even if Cagneys has a vegetarian dish.. chances are it will be too "wierd" for my mom and sister.. they are extremely picky.. you have no idea.

We may go to Teppanyaki together and maybe even a couple others not sure... but I specifically want to eat at Cagneys and I know it won't be a good match for them.

Thanks!

We will definitely be going to Cagney's one night and if you want to join us, it would definitely not be a bother. We love meeting and conversing with new people.

Other than that, I think only suite guests can order room service from speciality restaurants.

I'm sure that if you want, it's no problem to dine solo in Cagney's.

I have gone to the specialty restaurants by myself. No problem. I have no problem eating out alone at home so the cruise ship is no different.

I was booked in a suite last time so I could also have specialty dining ensuite. It was great to eat while in my pjs, but it is equally nice to experience the ambience and service in the smaller, more intimate specialty dining rooms.

Have a great cruise.

The specialty restaurants usually open between 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Many of the specialty restaurants have 1/2 price specials, on port days, if you arrive before 6:00 p.m..

Take care,

Mike

I have been on cruises on the Star, Spirit, Sun and Pearl since 2007 and never have seen 1/2 prices in speciality restaurants on in port days---what experiences do you base your comment//

Big Green

If you are willing to pay the cover charge for the food you order I suspect the ship staff will work with you on where it gets delivered. It's all coming out of the same kitchen, after all. It can't hurt to ask; & if they say No you do something else.

Eating by yourself is an option but I was also going to suggest finding someone on board or in your roll call if you are not a big fan of eating alone.

We will definitely be going to Cagney's one night and if you want to join us, it would definitely not be a bother. We love meeting and conversing with new people.

Other than that, I think only suite guests can order room service from speciality restaurants.

You guys are the best!;)

OP, I say go to Cagneys by yourself and don't feel "weird" about it (for lack of a better way to say it. Go and enjoy your meal and then meet up with your DM and DS afterwards. I honestly do not recommend getting it to go as I believe you will be missing out on the experience of Cagneys. There is more to it than just the food, IMHO.

I have been on cruises on the Star, Spirit, Sun and Pearl since 2007 and never have seen 1/2 prices in speciality restaurants on in port days---what experiences do you base your comment//

Big Green

BG.. I'm with you in that after four NCL cruises we have yet to see them offer the 2 for 1 or 1/2 price specialty restaurants, but I do know they offer that on some cruises. It does seem to vary as to if it is the first night of the cruise, port days, dining between 5 and 6PM, etc, but they do offer it, or at least based on what I have read for years on CC I believe they do, even though I have never seen it myself.

OP, I say go to Cagneys by yourself and don't feel "weird" about it (for lack of a better way to say it. Go and enjoy your meal and then meet up with your DM and DS afterwards. I honestly do not recommend getting it to go as I believe you will be missing out on the experience of Cagneys. There is more to it than just the food, IMHO.

BG.. I'm with you in that after four NCL cruises we have yet to see them offer the 2 for 1 or 1/2 price specialty restaurants, but I do know they offer that on some cruises. It does seem to vary as to if it is the first night of the cruise, port days, dining between 5 and 6PM, etc, but they do offer it, or at least based on what I have read for years on CC I believe they do, even though I have never seen it myself.

Yes they do! 2 for 1 & half price at various specialty restaurants have been offered on many of our cruises. Not all, but on most. You have to keep a close watch for the offers because they tend to not publicize them too overtly.

Big Green

I was on an 11 day cruise on the Jewel last October, and there were at least 2 opportunities..perhaps 3..where there were 2/1 specials for the specialty restaurants. The only restrictions were that reservations were necessary, and you had to eat between 5:30 and 7:30. We took advantage of the 2, for sure.

Thanks for the offer HarleyCat. I will most likely just go solo. Appreciate your kindness however.

Thanks for the offer HarleyCat. I will most likely just go solo. Appreciate your kindness however.

You're welcome! If you change your mind we'll see you at the meet and greet.

I go out to dinner solo a lot. Hubby frequently works nights and cooking for one is a pain so every once and a while I just "take myself out". A good book and a glass of wine and I have an enjoyable night. Of course, since I'm not a big eater the dog is happy when I do this too!

I have gone to specialty restaurants solo and I had fun watching, listening, thinking and talking with others who pass by. Sometimes I just stare out the window and watch the ocean.

I have seen the 2 for1 specials on various sailings.

Have a great cruise and I am sure you will be fine dining solo. You already are familiar with it from traveling for work. Besides, nothing wrong with a little "me" time when traveling with others. Please let us know how it turned out when you get back.

coka

Archived