Aix En Provence Markets

Mexfolkart

Is it possible, and fairly easy, to get from Toulon to Aix en Provence on your own. Azamara Journey docks in Toulon on December 4 and we were thinking of doing s tour on our own.

This route does not work well on trains (takes about 2 hours each way). However, if you rent a car for the day the drive is only about an hour and would also let you explore the Cassis area since its on the route. Driving in France is really quite easy and we generally figure on spending about $100 for a one-day small car rental. One caution about renting cars in France (and most of Europe) is that the best prices will always be for a manual transmission. Those that insist on an auto will pay dearly for the privilige. By the way, we spend 18 days cruising on the Journey and loved every minute. Try to get into Aqulina as often as possible since they had some of the best food we have had on any cruise ship..

Hank

We also docked in Toulon and did the ships tour to Aix-en-Provence.

We opted for the short one (there was a longer version available) since this was our last port and I spent the afternoon packing etc... to disembark the next day in Barcelona.

We enjoyed our ships tour to Aix. We boarded the bus and took about an hour to drive there. We had 2 guides and a bus driver. One guide provided some narrative as to stuff we were seeing, history of the area, etc... and we stopped once at a road side park for bathroom break. Once we arrived in Aix she gave us a time and place to meet back and then began an actual tour. Dh and I departed from "the tour" shortly after and "did our own thing". We wandered the small cobble streets, stopping when something caught our fancy (an old church, a cool antique book store etc.) and then headed to the main boulevard and had crepes and coffee. YUM.

As this locale is quite some distance from the port.....this is really a pretty good viable option......easy and not restraining.

Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Here you go..

Provencal markets - Aix en Provence

Thanks for that! Excellent.

We will be docked in Provence -- does anyone know what the distance/time would be from Aix to Avignon around noon? I'm trying to figure out if I can do both and get back for a 5pm sailing.

Thanks.

Archived