Question for runners who use Garmins on cruises

dual

It may sound like an odd question - but if you are a runner and you use a Garmin or other GPS device on your outdoor runs - have you ever ran on the jogging track on Board any cruiseship and got a good satellite signal?

And when you downloaded your data (I use sports track) did you just get a load of circles in the middle of the ocean on your map and was your pacing accurate?

To non runners you will wonder what the heck im talking about but runners with Garmins will understand?

Im thinking of bringing my Garmin Forerunner 305 on my cruise and jog the track every morning - just would like to know if it works out in the middle of the ocean?

Thanks in advance.

PS: apologies if I have posted in the wrong section - but im going on an RCCL LOS cruise

My DH takes his regular GPS onboard when we sail. He did try to use it once when he was running but it was pretty much useless as it was tracking the movement of the ship more than his movement around the deck. I don't know if the particular GPS you are talking about would be able to distinguish between the movement of the ship and the movement of the runner - but then I'm pretty blonde when it comes to these things ;).

BTW - he took his GPS last week and was able to get an okay reading on the ship, but he only got a great reading on shore.

I am not an expert at this stuff, but wouldn't your watch have inaccurate readings on your pace if you were running while the ship was in motion? As for being in ports, I'm sure you will be able to pick up some satellite signal to use for running on the ship or in ports.

Ummm..didnt think of this but you may be right.

I dont plan on running on land whist in port - just the safety aspect of it - but Im wondering whether to take it and try it out.

It may show me doing 5 minute miles or something - a personal best!! lol

Ummm..didnt think of this but you may be right.

I dont plan on running on land whist in port - just the safety aspect of it - but Im wondering whether to take it and try it out.

It may show me doing 5 minute miles or something - a personal best!! lol

If you are running in the direction of aft to bow, you'd probably make 2 minute miles as it would be calculating the speed of the ship combined with your running speed. If you run fast enough from bow towards aft, it might show you as stationary!

Funny as I was having GPS traveling issues from *heck* today. DH had set the gps for "pedestrian" movement last weekend. Funny...when you are freeway bound, the GPS can't seem to "keep up" with the vehicle that is moving faster, therefore doesn't seem to be able to give accurate directions. What should have been a 3 hour drive for me in unchartered territories, turned into 6 1/2 eeh gads! :eek: Happy jogging and traveling everyone!

My wife uses a 305, but we've never taken it on a cruise.

You wouldn't see circles in the ocean though...you would see a couple minutes of you appearing to run at the ships speed PLUS your speed, followed by a couple minutes of you appearing to run at the ships speed MINUS your speed. You're going to appear to have one heck of a pace!!!

Wow this would be great, simply turn on the Garmin and it would show you runing from Miami to Jamaica, well done.

he he he.....beats any marathon!!

I may still take it - just interesting to see the stats it gives me!

I've carried a hand-held GPS (Garmin 376c) on our last 4 cruises.

GPS is designed to work anywhere you can see the sky, or at least a significant portion of the sky. On the four ships I was on, the running track was on an upper deck with good sky views; therefore GPS saw satellites and worked fine. OTOH, from our balcony cabins we could see _out_ but not _up_, which didn't allow the GPS to see enough satellites to get a usable fix.

In the case of your runner's 305, the GPS will see satellites when you are on the running track. However, as others have mentioned, the GPS will give you _relative_ speed and direction, combining both your speed and the ship's speed. You will get a solid track on the 305, but it will be wierd.

RAE

Archived