Info on injured girl in Nassau off the Imagination 9/19/09?

GreytRacer

Does anyone have any info on a girl named "Frannie" that was injured at Cabbage Beach on Saturday 9/19? She was a passenger on the Imagination. DH and I were at the beach (off the Freedom) and she got hit by a wave and hurt her back. I spotted her just floating in the surf and my DH and another man got her out of the water, which was very rough and kept crashing over them all.

She was terrified, water logged and in shock. However, she could move her toes, but said she heard her back "pop" and it was excruciating to move.

The ambulance hadn't come by the time we left (20 - 30 minutes) and her parents didn't want to take her to a hospital in the Bahamas, but back to the ship.

I've been wondering and worried about her. Anyone on board that might have heard anything?

Does anyone have any info on a girl named "Frannie" that was injured at Cabbage Beach on Saturday 9/19? She was a passenger on the Imagination. DH and I were at the beach (off the Freedom) and she got hit by a wave and hurt her back. I spotted her just floating in the surf and my DH and another man got her out of the water, which was very rough and kept crashing over them all.

She was terrified, water logged and in shock. However, she could move her toes, but said she heard her back "pop" and it was excruciating to move.

The ambulance hadn't come by the time we left (20 - 30 minutes) and her parents didn't want to take her to a hospital in the Bahamas, but back to the ship.

I've been wondering and worried about her. Anyone on board that might have heard anything?

Hope someone does and it is good news! How awful! Your husband is a hero for going in after her...bless him!

The toe wiggling sounds encouraging. I've never heard of someone being paralyzed by swimming at a beach. Professional surfing maybe.

Could she have been stung by a jellyfish and that may be the cause of the pain? I can tell you, it is excruciating!

The "pop" may have come when she laid back on it and busted the jellyfish open, thereby causing the worst pain you can imagine.

Hope someone does and it is good news! How awful! Your husband is a hero for going in after her...bless him!

It was crazy! We watched people getting smashed by the waves all day (including me, once). I saw her floating in the shallows, but getting hit everytime a wave came in and I said "That doesn't look like fun" and that's when we realized something was wrong and she wasn't just goofing around.

As they were trying to get her out, waves kept crashing over them and she just lay there and didn't move her heard or close her mouth. It's amazing she didn't drown. I just stood behind DH and braced him with my legs and yelled everytime I saw a wave was about to hit. It took about a minute to get her out of the surf, which is a long time in that situation!

The toe wiggling sounds encouraging. I've never heard of someone being paralyzed by swimming at a beach. Professional surfing maybe.

Could she have been stung by a jellyfish and that may be the cause of the pain? I can tell you, it is excruciating!

The "pop" may have come when she laid back on it and busted the jellyfish open, thereby causing the worst pain you can imagine.

Interesting! There was a woman there giving directions about how to lift and carry her (I assumed she was a nurse, or perhaps stayed in a Holiday Inn Express :rolleyes:) and she was so focused on a possible broken back, that no one else even considered anything else.

Oh how sad and I really hope she is okay. I have hurt my back before and sometimes it does feel like it "pops" but I think its the muscles spasm-ing all of a sudden, if that makes sense. I agree in that she probably wasn't allowed on the ship if she was in that bad of a shape.

A 12 yo at my son's school fell on her trampoline and broke her back just a few weeks ago. They originally thought she would be paralyzed from the waist down but by the grace of God the child is starting to get some feeling back in her feet so things look hopeful. Anyway...off topic...sorry...

But I do hope you get some news. It would be nice to hear that she is okay. And Kudos to your husband for helping her.

Unfortunately I have. One of my clients was bodysurfing while on vacation with his parents. He was picked up by a wave and slammed into the beach head first which broke his neck. Due to the location he didn't get medical attention for over six hours and is confined to a wheel chair now.

On a brighter note at least the girl in the OP was close to medical attention and showing signs of movement in her toes. Fwiw, another possibility for the source of the pop could be a hernia. We've had two guys at work do this in the last year and they both described a popping sensation when it happened and quite a bit of pain immediately afterword.

Hope everything turns out well for her. :)

Oh, I hope someone knows something. I agree the ship may not have let her board if she needed medical attention. I can understand not wanting to be in a hosptial in the Bahamas but delaying treatment might not be the best option.

OMG...how scary..that was wonderful of you and your husband to help this girl

I hope she is ok...maybe if the ship let her back on that is a good sign...I don't think they would let her on if she was seriously injured??

One bad thing I did think of...I have read about "new" surfers who go to Hawaii etc and get paralyzed on their first try...very scary

A good lesson to all of us...if the water is rough, sit on the beach. I have seen too many news stories of people drowning here ....often tourists ...who I guess want to make the most of their short stay and get out there in rip tides, etc

Please do update us if you hear any info..thanks

In Feb 2009 a Toronto Paramedic was vacationing with family in the Cuba for his sister's wedding. He was crashed upon by a wave and struck the ocean floor causing initially a complete C5 paralyzation. He has been up graded to C7 at this point I believe, but he is wheel chair bound and paralyzed from the chest down with minimal use of arms and hands. Don't say it never happens. Check out this link:

http://ambunit416.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=181&Itemid=259

I have seen how bad the waters can get on that beach, I stay away from it even having been a competitive swimmer when I was younger.

Something similar to this happened to me when I was 12. I was using my boogie board in the ocean, and realized I drifted too far down the beach. I stood up to look for my family and got knocked forward by a large wave that I didn't see coming. I heard a pop in my back and had some extreme pain, but luckily I was able to get myself out of the water. There was no lasting damage, but I was unable to stand up straight for several days. I literally had to stand/ walk leaning completely to the right side. I hope for that girl's sake her situation is like mine, with no permanent damage.

Just an idea... maybe you can pop in on that roll call for that sailing and see if anyone is posting that you can ask.

I had the same idea, but there isn't a Roll Call for that cruise (alot of the weekend-ers don't seem to have them).

A man on a 4-wheeler on the beach said the ambulance would not transport her to the cruise ship, only to the hospital. But, by the time we left, still no ambulance.

Her family had what I would consider a rather "calm" reaction to all of this. The girl was 14 and everytime she calmed down and stopped crying and her Dad would say "You're going to be fine", she would burst into tears and get hysterical again. We wondered if her family thought of her as a bit of a "drama queen" and that was why they were all just sort of standing around, rather blase about the whole thing.

Regardless, she almost drowned and was in pain. I was very shook up for the rest of the afternoon from my roll in the surf and sand. I can't imagine how terrified she must have been, after the fact .

I had the same idea, but there isn't a Roll Call for that cruise (alot of the weekend-ers don't seem to have them).

A man on a 4-wheeler on the beach said the ambulance would not transport her to the cruise ship, only to the hospital. But, by the time we left, still no ambulance.

Her family had what I would consider a rather "calm" reaction to all of this. The girl was 14 and everytime she calmed down and stopped crying and her Dad would say "You're going to be fine", she would burst into tears and get hysterical again. We wondered if her family thought of her as a bit of a "drama queen" and that was why they were all just sort of standing around, rather blase about the whole thing.

Regardless, she almost drowned and was in pain. I was very shook up for the rest of the afternoon from my roll in the surf and sand. I can't imagine how terrified she must have been, after the fact .

Maybe her family was remaining calm to keep her from being hysterical. No emergency situation goes well if everyone panics. I have faced many emergencies over the years and have remained calm until professionals arrive, then I have broken down. Someone has to hold everything together.

I hope the girl is alright.

Maybe her family was remaining calm to keep her from being hysterical. No emergency situation goes well if everyone panics. I have faced many emergencies over the years and have remained calm until professionals arrive, then I have broken down. Someone has to hold everything together.

I hope the girl is alright.

I agree, but her family were all still just hanging out on there towels and sitting around, except her Dad. The chair we laid her on was a bit of a distance away from where her family had set up there things, and they all just stayed there and didn't even come over . When they finally did, they stood away, kind of looking around the beach.

Not judging, just observing, and hoping that she was a bit of a Drama Queen, and was not hurt as badly as we all thought.

GreytRacer:

Why don't you write to the Carnival and explain to them the same thing that you just told us? Let them know that your husband was one of the rescuers and ask them to forward your letter to these parents. Tell them you are just checking on her to make sure everything turned out OK.

It is very possible that these parents are looking for you and your husband so they can thank him.

Tell your husband what a wonderful person we all think he is.

I agree, but her family were all still just hanging out on there towels and sitting around, except her Dad. The chair we laid her on was a bit of a distance away from where her family had set up there things, and they all just stayed there and didn't even come over . When they finally did, they stood away, kind of looking around the beach.

Not judging, just observing, and hoping that she was a bit of a Drama Queen, and was not hurt as badly as we all thought.

I wasn't there and don't know the situation, but as the above poster stated, maybe she was a Drama Queen....My youngest daughter is definitely a Drama Queen and we do tend to ignore her...She moans and groans and no one has ever hurt as bad as she's hurting, etc. etc etc...lol.....Now if it had been my oldest daughter, we'd have been all over her cause she never complains about anything...

Hopefully someone on here will know something about it. How very kind and caring of you and your husband to get involved.....

Sharon

Archived