Oasis 4 day vs. Indy 6 day cruise

jhyla54

I need your help. I have 2 deposits for 2 different cruises. I have a D1 balcony on the 4 day pre-inaugural cruise on Oasis of the Seas on December 1st 2009, and an E1 aft balcony on a 6 day western Caribbean cruise on Indy of the Seas on December 5th.

1. I have been on every class of RCI's ships except for the Freedom class and of course Oasis of the Seas.

2. My favorite class of ship is the Radiance class.

3. Either way this will be the largest ship my wife and I have been on.

The cost of the Indy cruise is less but cost is not the deciding factor. Do we take the wow factor of one of the first Oasis cruise or a 6 day cruise on what is today the largest ship in the world ? Our final deposit is due this weekend for the Indy and any help will be greatly appreciated. We can't go wrong with either but we are still undecided.

Thanks

I'm on the 4 night Oasis, and my DH and are really looking forward to being on one of the first cruises! We haven't been on a Freedom class yet, we'll have to wait until June next year.

Could you do both cruises? Get off Oasis and hop on Indy? That would solve your problem! Presuming IOS is in Ft. Lauderdale of course;)

I'm on the 4 night Oasis, and my DH and are really looking forward to being on one of the first cruises! We haven't been on a Freedom class yet, we'll have to wait until June next year.

Could you do both cruises? Get off Oasis and hop on Indy? That would solve your problem! Presuming IOS is in Ft. Lauderdale of course;)

I wish I could do both,but I can't.

Under most conditions I would almost always come down on the side of the longer cruise. However the cruise experience on Oasis looks to be so different from any other cruise we are familiar with and the ship appears to be so spectacular, in this situation I would go with the Oasis. Unless this is going to be your one and only cruise, and I'm betting it won't be, you can always cruise on a Freedom class ship or any other RCI vessel in the future. Realize also, that once Oasis sails, the Independence will no longer be the largest cruise ship in the world. If that distinction has any importance for you, the choice of Oasis seems obvious.:) You won't be disappointed whichever choice you make, but passing up the opportunity to be among the first to cruise on Oasis may always be a source of regret to you.

Under most conditions I would almost always come down on the side of the longer cruise. However the cruise experience on Oasis looks to be so different from any other cruise we are familiar with and the ship appears to be so spectacular, in this situation I would go with the Oasis. Unless this is going to be your one and only cruise, and I'm betting it won't be, you can always cruise on a Freedom class ship or any other RCI vessel in the future. Realize also, that once Oasis sails, the Independence will no longer be the largest cruise ship in the world. If that distinction has any importance for you, the choice of Oasis seems obvious.:) You won't be disappointed whichever choice you make, but passing up the opportunity to be among the first to cruise on Oasis may always be a source of regret to you.

Thanks for your expertise

As someone who is sensitive to our NOOTS friends, I am still going to come down on the side of 6 days of vacation compared to 4...

Three years from now the Oasis will just be another ship, that you can book without paying a premium for...until then it is just a big machine to extract your money from your wallet.

JMHO

jc

I was booked on the 4 night Dec 1st Oasis sailing and just bailed.......after looking at the discounted rates for suites on the Navigator 5 night going out Nov 30th i just couldn't see paying the premium for Oasis....also no one even knows what ports are going to be ready for the first sailings:confused: Indy is a great ships....was on her just past April and am going to sail her again next April.....was going to sail Oasis in April also but after just seeing the price drop on Indy for the Easter week 8 night sailing I once again can't get myself to pay that crazy premium and booked her again....that said Oasis prices will drop, yes even the first sailings...there are PLENTY cabins available, just wouldn't expect much more of a drop till after final so it has to go in the way of OBC:rolleyes:

In any case I booked Allure for 2011....after seeing what you can book 2011 for you may have made you decision also;)....also keep in mind that this is Indy's last winter in the US....she is going over the pond for good after that Easter 2011 sailing.

My vote is for the 6 day. The Independance is GREAT. If you cruise every year I would wait and go on a 7 day on the Oasis later on. I know everyone is excited about being on Oasis but I don't think I want to be on it when it first comes out. There will have to be problems, confusion, and some people don't do well in that environment. It may not bother you but listening to other people complain for 4 days might affect your crusie. The Oasis isn't going anywhere. Perhaps you could go on Allure in 2011. It will only be a couple months old if that matters to you. I am very excited about Oasis/Allure but will be waiting until 2/11 to be aboard.

Have fun making your decision...

YOU BETTER COME BACK AND TELL US WHAT YOU DECIDED!

Sometimes when you sleep on it things become clear.....I slept on it and I STILL vote for the 6 day ;)

I am leaning towards the 6 day cruise. I will let everyone know of my decision tomorrow

Thanks for everyone's help

JH

I would take the 6 night over the 4... but then I am someone who has no interest in Oasis what so ever....to me bigger does NOT mean better...I haven't even been on a Freedom class ship yet...I'd like to evenutally...but for now..Voyager class is plenty big enough..:)

I was going to do Navigator like I posted above....but heck...I just found a senior rate on Freedom for 7 nights, same weekend as the Dec 1st Oasis sailing, that puts us in a GS AND adds on 3 extra nights sailing for the same price as I was paying for a JS on Oasis:rolleyes:....need I say more.....a no brain'r.

Take the 4 night Oasis cruise on 1st Dec 2009 :D

Come on...you know it will be different from any other cruise you have taken/likely to take in the future.

The Indy though my favourite ship will be there for another date...but to be on the first revenue sailing of Oasis....that will be like WOWOW :D

How often will you get the chance to go on a brand spanking new ship :D

Take the 4 night Oasis cruise on 1st Dec 2009 :D

Come on...you know it will be different from any other cruise you have taken/likely to take in the future.

The Indy though my favourite ship will be there for another date...but to be on the first revenue sailing of Oasis....that will be like WOWOW :D

How often will you get the chance to go on a brand spanking new ship :D

The WOW factor is the only reason I am still considering the Oasis cruise. All of the rest of the factors(2 extra days of cruising,much cheaper price, and 3 caribbean ports to see) favor the 6 day cruise on Indy.

Thanks for your opinion

JH

Even though The WOW factor of Oasis made my decision difficult,the 6 day cruise won out.I appreciate all of your opinions and the help you gave me to make the right decision. This was a pleasant problem to have. Either way I was going to have a great time with my wife of 30 years. I will take the savings from this decision and book another cruise for next year.

Thanks again-JH

Even though The WOW factor of Oasis made my decision difficult,the 6 day cruise won out.I appreciate all of your opinions and the help you gave me to make the right decision. This was a pleasant problem to have. Either way I was going to have a great time with my wife of 30 years. I will take the savings from this decision and book another cruise for next year.

Thanks again-JH

I think you made a good choice;)....you will love Indy...she's a great ship!

No contest for me.

It's like asking.......if you were going to Las Vegas would you prefer to stay 6 nights at the MGM or 4 nights at the Wynn.

6 night holiday wins every time.

That is a great analogy. We also have an aft cabin which is our favorite spot on the ship.

Cruise Critic always gives us the most informed and experinced opinions

Thanks-JH

aside from the cost of the Oasis trip there is the issue of the port...there is only one right? And isnt it Labadee...the 6 day offers more variety at a lower price. The Freedom class is amazing...we were on Liberty's Inagural and had a blast. Comes down to how special the WOW factor of being on Oasis' 1st revenue cruise is for you. I would probably select the Indy one

aside from the cost of the Oasis trip there is the issue of the port...there is only one right? And isnt it Labadee...the 6 day offers more variety at a lower price. The Freedom class is amazing...we were on Liberty's Inagural and had a blast. Comes down to how special the WOW factor of being on Oasis' 1st revenue cruise is for you. I would probably select the Indy one

Thanks for responding. We went with the 6 day cruise on Indy. We are really looking forward to sailing on the Freedom class. Mariner of the Seas was the largest ship we sailed on. Most of our RCI cruises have been on the Radiance class. The WOW factor and bragging rights isn't that important to us.We love cruising and it looks like Inependence of the Seas is a beautiful ship

JH

The cost of the Indy cruise is less but cost is not the deciding factor. Do we take the wow factor of one of the first Oasis cruise or a 6 day cruise on what is today the largest ship in the world ? Our final deposit is due this weekend for the Indy and any help will be greatly appreciated. We can't go wrong with either but we are still undecided.

Thanks

If it was me, I'd take the 6 day on the Indy. Then for my next cruise I'd book a 7 day on the Oasis. Personally I think with the larger Oasis and so much to explore (plus port days) you're not going to have enough time to see half of what you want to. I don't think I'd want to ever book less than a 7 day for the Oasis.

If it was me, I'd take the 6 day on the Indy. Then for my next cruise I'd book a 7 day on the Oasis. Personally I think with the larger Oasis and so much to explore (plus port days) you're not going to have enough time to see half of what you want to. I don't think I'd want to ever book less than a 7 day for the Oasis.

We booked the 6 day cruise on Indy and with the savings booked a 7 day cruise on Oasis next year

JH

The prices for the four night Oasis are ridiculous for just going to Labadee. The prices have started to decrease but not by much. It will be interesting to see now that final payment time is near, how many cabins open up and how much more the prices come down. I would take the Indy in a heartbeat just for itinerary alone.

Archived