Captain's Party

cellgirl99

It is the "Welcome Aboard" party, held immediately prior to the first Formal Dinner.

Captain introduces officers and senior staff.

Photo ops galore for ship's photographers.

Free drinks and appetizers.

Great fun, do *not* pass it up.

• 4 weeks later...
How do they know which seating you have at the reception?

They don't.

Could you attend an early reception even tho you had a late dinner seating?

If you were so inclined, but why would you want to? :confused: An oft-cited popular reason for selecting late seating in the first place is because the passenger wants to delay changing into their formal wear as long as possible.

Hmm I guess every ship doesnt do it the same way.

Agreed. Certain lines, in an effort to control costs (think of all that free booze and nibbles :eek: ) or perhaps they are just downright cheap, only have one party. The same lines only have one show in the evening as well, as opposed to what Carnival does.

Just an FYI: I have a copy of Carnival Capers from April 2004 for the Destiny, which say it is from 7 pm - 8:30 pm. :p

That actually *would* make sense, considering the Destiny's itinerary. Formal night being Monday, is also a port day in St Thomas. If they did it the way the other ships do (and I'm not saying that they don't), the Cocktail Party would be at the same time as sailaway from Charlotte Amalie.

Since DH and I do not plan on going formal could you just wear dressier casual? Since I have started my crusade to have a drink in every possible spot on board offered I hate to pass up free ones. Will I be shamed and dog talked forever if I don't show up formal?

Since DH and I do not plan on going formal could you just wear dressier casual? Since I have started my crusade to have a drink in every possible spot on board offered I hate to pass up free ones. Will I be shamed and dog talked forever if I don't show up formal?

I actually have seen people turned away from the Captain's Party for not being dressed in formal attire.

I have seen people dressed casually, so I don't think you will be a shamed dog.... but it is an "affair" of sorts. As long as you don't show up in jeans and you wear something you might wear on a normal dining night, you should be okay...

Archived