A HIGHLY Recomended Eastern Island Tour

Lynda S

We have just come back from two back to back cruises on the Grandeur of the Seas the two weeks before Xmas. I have already posted about the stingray experience on the second week of our cruise - but for anyone looking for something other than water activities I would highly recommend Silver Thatch/Earthfoot Tours that Geddes Hislop has been posting about.

My husband and I pre-booked Geddes on the internet before leaving and we had a fabulous, informative and peaceful day with him! No crowds, a great guide with a very roomy van and a very personalized tour of the east, and north of the island. Instead of crowds standing in line for postcards we saw the islands native plants, spikey-looking rock forests (very strange indeed!), spice trees, local gingerbread architecture and some local fauna.

Living in the present, we also had a first hand look at the devastation that Ivan caused on the east side of the island. It was an undescribable experience -the devastation that the hurricane caused took my breath away. As well, living in the past, we saw the sight, and heard the story of the Wreck of the Ten Sails; as well as learned about the founding families of the island when visiting their very unusual graves.

A real bonus was the typical island lunch that Geddes mother-in law packed for us - the spicy beef sandwiches and 'dirty' water (lime juice and demerara sugar) made for an excellent picnic lunch!

It was and extremely slow-paced and enjoyable day, and I do not feel as though I missed anything by not seeing the guy who jumps out and says "how in the hell are you!" (although I must admit I got another person on the next cruise to send me a postcard from hell!)

For anyone who wants to get away 'far from the maddening crowds' and craves local information and customs, don't hesitate to email Geddes. (he has his website address posted on other threads on this board, or let me know and I will dig it up!)

Archived