How does CCL assign dinnermates?

sylvasta

There is a computer program in Miami that uses a person's demographics such as age, region, children, single/married, etc. Dining seating is then assigned and the file sent to the ship.

Dave

Oh, I don't know how accurate their little computer program is. On our last cruise, my BF (39) and I (29) were seated with 2 18 year old girls from South America, who only spoke Spanish, and 4 late 50's Koreans, who only spoke Korean. We had our table changed right away. I actually said I was going to the bathroom and I went to see the MD to get us changed for the next night. Our new table was all late 20's couples, a much better fit for us.

On our cruise this week, we are hoping to either have a booth for 4, or a table for 8 with another family with kids a similar age. But we will see.

On our 1st cruise we were on RCI, we requested a large table. They sat us with a couple in their 70's and their son who was probably our age. We were 48 and 50. I told my husband I know you can request a change but we didn't want to hurt there feelings. They were nice, son didn't speak much. Its only for dinner and we missed 2 nights in the dining room while we were in port. We did look around and notice all the people at large tables laughing and having a good time. Maybe we'll get lucky this time on Carnival and get people more our age.

On our first cruise we had a table for 8 but only 3 couples showed up. We had the best time, it was, I think, one of the main reasons we couldn't wait to cruise again. The 2nd time wasn't as good, still a table for 8 but I think all 8 were only there one night. We were all in the same age range but some were friendlier than others.

When we took the family and cruised with a group we ate with them.

One cruise we had a table for 4 and the other people never showed up. Would have changed but we had the best waiter we ever had, Dennis, so we kept that table. On our last cruise we had a table for 8 and a very mixed group, one lady was a real complainer, one couple didn't talk much, and an older couple we really liked. So it was mostly good, and better than eating by ourselves.

I guess we just got lucky on our first cruise but we still like having a large table. I hope Carnival never goes to all "anytime dining".

I have had good and bad. January 2007 was a bad because the three other people were a wee into themselves and clicked because they were from the same area in New Hampshire.

The best tables I have gotten were on the Triumph (all Canadian table) and Liberty (ALL solo cruisers ranging from 39-me-- to 80's) and a good time was truly had! The Valor we had a great time but the kids at a nearby table were misbehaving EVERY night....

On the Conquest we got a table for four (for three of us) by my stupid mother hated going to the dining room preferring the boring/dull/less variety buffet. I basically had to go with them cuz my mom was clueless and my niece was only 11 and wanted me to come along.....

The table on the the Freedom was a disaster and the switched table was just as bad..I went buffet as the options weren't good. I don't like the dinner buffet, but the Mongolian was open and that was awesome!

The latest cruise was both good and bad. I had a table for eight with all solo travellers, with me being the youngest at 40 (turned 40 on the cruise). One solo traveller decided he would pester me into spending time with him, even though I said HELL NO (in polite terms) on the first night. I later found out on Friday (my birthday) that he was the reason the ship stopped dead at 6:20pm after leaving Mazatlan. They medevac'd him on the ships lifeboat ashore and sent him home the next day. My birthday was saved!!! It was ok, after a half bottle of champagne I was feeling good......

I wish they would match up solo travellers and put them at tables together and put them in a age range. I find that solo travellers just get plunked whenever there is an empty seat at a table with an odd number!

I have had great luck fortunately on my past cruises and I'm sure since I'm traveling with my family this go round (party of 8), that my luck won't change.

First cruise, DH & I sat with 2 couples that the spouses were coworkers of DH, so I had to get acquainted with the wives, though a little older than I was at the time early 30's, where they were closer to their late 40's. I'm very sociable so that wasn't a problem.

Second cruise, I traveled with my two BFF's (all in our early 30's), and were seated with 3 (3 from TX?, 2 from the Nashville, TN area, 2 of us were from Memphis - my other BFF is a Chicagoan, and 2 from GA) groups of ladies traveling together.

That cruise was really fun and diverse group, with the exception of one of the girl groups. One chick (from GA) was very egotistical, complained about her food every night, annoyed the rest of us and the wait staff I'm sure, and commented inconsiderately about the Sensation (which was the boat we were supposed to sail on, but was changed to the Fantasy after Katrina) being used for "refugees".

We pretty much were happy on the remaining nights that she and her friend didn't show back up, good riddance! Though I think the friend was a little peeved too at times!

As mentioned, it'll be a family group this trip so I hope that we have no issues with anytime dining for our party of 8.

Carnival has always been spot on with their table selections for me. On my most recent cruise they sat my friend and I with 3 women from England and we were all within a 5 year age spread, so we had very pleasant conversations.

But Princess...they need to go back to the drawing board. When my son (10 at the time) and I went on a cruise, they put us at a table with an Asian couple, probably in their 50's that spoke very limited english and another couple around the same age (50's) and the husband was severely disabled, needing to be fed. We made the best of it, but for a young boy, it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for another table if there wasn't a "click" between the tablemates.

First cruise on Rhapsody, were at a table for 8 and our party was the four adults. The other four folks were quite nice and we all hit it off nicely.

Next three cruises, all family, large group, two big tables side by side.

This past cruise, we did early seating. Table for 10, just my wife and I. Three other couples, one couple was a no-show.

Waiter was horrible, that didn't help as we had way too much time for conversation when we should have already been eating.

Table mates were chosen based on age. All of us in our 40's. One couple was newly wed though and they really needed to just have a table for two. Very little to say, mostly interested in each other. That's cool.

Another couple had little say, husband some, but wife almost nothing. The last couple was quite nice and I think had we been at a table for four with a GOOD waiter, it would have worked out.

But, the waiter was bad enough that we asked to be moved. We also went to the later seating to avoid any conceptions that we didn't like our tablemates. But it was awkward at best the two nights we sat with them all. I guess my wife and I suffer from an abundance of personality. Also, I am new to having hearing aids. Large table for 10 in a very noisy dining room made it quite difficult to hear four of hte people that spoke quite softly. i even told everyone the first night I had the hearing aids just in case I responded with something crazy. :) Most folks will make a conscious effort to speak up a bit when I tell them this and it really helps.

So, I figure this demographic program is quite hit or miss. I do not think it's based on race at all but basically age.

We had very memorable table mates a few cruises back. It was my family of 4 sitting with another family of 4. Now we are a very happy go lucky fun loving family. The other family basically only spoke through the father. Every dinner he would tell us how much he hated his family, work and life and if he could end it all he would. Made for a very interesting cruise. Guess we should of asked to be moved but the dining room was booked and I hate making waves......so to speak.

How creepy was that? That must have been hard for y'all being such positive upbeat people. I think that would have really gotten to me! People tend to tell me everything about their lives once they find out I'm a nurse. My friend that works with me says it's not because I'm a nurse. She says I must ooze some kinda sympathy vibe or something. The things people have told me....You'd think I was a priest...

I've only been on 2 CCL cruises, but I was told that they try to put solo's together as much as possible. Don't know if they group them by age and/or gender, or any other factor. I've always been pretty lucky with my tablemates on my cruises.

My last two Carnival cruises had me paired with tablemates that were okay. It's not that I didn't enjoy their company, but I didn't find anyone to be particularly fun or interesting. So we just had to be cordial and at times it would get quiet and awkward. And if you are at a table for four, you can't really sit there and have your own conversation like you could at a larger table.

Since I've cruised NCL about 2 times in the last 2 years, I'm hooked on eating when you want and having a choice on whether you sit with a group or with your own party.

So I'm sailing on the Freedom in a month and have requested a table for two. This way I won't feel the need to entertain anyone or be stuck having to listen to someone who won't shut up. No offense to anyone; but it's my vaca and that's what I want. lol.

I'd rather meet other cruisers in the bars, by the pool, etc. when I can get up and leave if I so desire. :p

My first cruise on RCCL Nordic Empress it was just me and the wife and four Sr.'s in college that happen to be females. My wife thought it was cute. I had to get a picture of me and the four girls to show to my friends later. We ended up hanging out at the pool on the at sea days.

My last two Carnival cruises had me paired with tablemates that were okay. It's not that I didn't enjoy their company, but I didn't find anyone to be particularly fun or interesting. So we just had to be cordial and at times it would get quiet and awkward. And if you are at a table for four, you can't really sit there and have your own conversation like you could at a larger table.

Yes, I 100% agree with this. It could get a little awkward when we ran out of things to say with the other couple we had as tablemates. Also, it was a booth, so they were right there, staring at us! LOL! :eek:

Since I've cruised NCL about 2 times in the last 2 years, I'm hooked on eating when you want and having a choice on whether you sit with a group or with your own party.

So I'm sailing on the Freedom in a month and have requested a table for two. This way I won't feel the need to entertain anyone or be stuck having to listen to someone who won't shut up. No offense to anyone; but it's my vaca and that's what I want. lol.

I'd rather meet other cruisers in the bars, by the pool, etc. when I can get up and leave if I so desire. :p

I like your attitude! :D :)

Another 'tip' is to play musical chairs (of course this only works if you are seating a larger table).....we have done this a couple of times - esp if one person is 'irritating' to you or talks to much. We say we like to move around and get different views and get to know others and this makes it more fun and interesting and you are not stuck sitting next to someone you find boring, yappy or just not that compatible with you!

There are 48 of us in our "linked" reservations. Some of us are closer than others, and have been wondering how they will clump us together. We obviously know we will be at several different tables, but will they be nearby one another?

Could we swap seats around throughout the week just to make it interesting? I bet this would be a nightmare for the servers.

There is a computer program in Miami that uses a person's demographics such as age, region, children, single/married, etc. Dining seating is then assigned and the file sent to the ship.

Dave

And when the ship receives the file, they throw it in the trash, and they have this huge dart board in the crew lounge, and all take turns picking a cabin number and then throwing a dart at the big board, then have another drink and a good laugh and move on to the next cabin!:D

My dh and dds, 1o and 5, were seated at a table for 10. We were with 3 ladies from Arkansas and 2 women with a young boy. The first night the group of 3 women found friends just a couple of tables over and moved. The other group never showed back up. We would see them eating at the buffet. (They showed up 20 min late the first night.) So we ate by ourselves at a big table for 10. We got great quick service, but it seemed sort of embarrassing just sitting all by ourselves.

I find this kind of odd because on my cruise in May, my dinner table had only one other solo that was close to my age. I had a couple in their early 60's and four friends in their mid 20's. This was an odd mixture. The young ladies only ate with us two nights,but the rest of us ate in the dinning room almost every night.

We got along well,but it wasn't like on the Miracle where my whole table was all solo cruisers. That dining table was a first also where there was only two women and four men. That table was a very good match and we also end up doing other things together.

I find it odd too. The one time we didn't have linked reservations with family, Carnival placed us (DH(Then 38), DD(then 8), DS(then 11) and myself(then38)) from the mid-west with a couple who were in there 50's from the New England states and a couple just married in their 20's from the New York area. We had absolutely nothing in common.

And when the ship receives the file, they throw it in the trash, and they have this huge dart board in the crew lounge, and all take turns picking a cabin number and then throwing a dart at the big board, then have another drink and a good laugh and move on to the next cabin!:D
That was always my belief too, but Jetskier is usually right, so I'll go along with it..!:rolleyes:;)

We've always been seated with people in our age range, and no kids when sailing just with the DW... I'll give them credit for throwing the darts in the right place!!:D No complaints yet!!

Only other cruise: DH and I were married 8 years, no kids, and were seated with 2 families of 4 (parents and two kids each). We got along okay with them, but really had nothing in common. That cruise was the biggest reason for my wanting to take one with Your Time Dining now.

We were paired last week on the Triumph with a wonderful couple in our age range and had great conversations every night. Hello Ed and Mary Jo!

When the teenagers cruised with us we had teenagers at our table; when it's just us, people somewhat near our age. We're more interested in outgoing, positive personalities than in age.

Archived