How hard is it to go from Conquest class to Fantasy class?(specifically Fascination)?

sylvasta

As you can see from my signature, DH and I have only cruised on CCL Conquest class ships. We LOVE them. For us, the ship is the destination, and DH likes to have the newest and the biggest ships for our cruises.

Anyway, we have an opportunity to go on a group cruise in March 2010 on the Fascination and I am a little nervous about booking her as we have been "spoiled" by the beautiful Glory, Liberty, Valor and most recently the Freedom. Is it that big of an adjustment to go from Conquest to Fantasy class ships? I hear the layout is much simpler on the Fantasy class ships, but what are some other big differences we will notice?

I guess I'm just afraid it might feel like a little bit of a letdown after we have experienced the newer, larger Conquest class ships. Hope my question and concerns make sense.....

i've been on destiny and fascination. i wasn't let down. it's a smaller ship but has pretty much everything that desiny had. i haven't been on any of the newer ships so i'm not sure what the layout is. hey.....it's a cruise.....how could it be a let down?!?!?:D

As you can see from my signature, DH and I have only cruised on CCL Conquest class ships. We LOVE them. For us, the ship is the destination, and DH likes to have the newest and the biggest ships for our cruises.

Anyway, we have an opportunity to go on a group cruise in March 2010 on the Fascination and I am a little nervous about booking her as we have been "spoiled" by the beautiful Glory, Liberty, Valor and most recently the Freedom. Is it that big of an adjustment to go from Conquest to Fantasy class ships? I hear the layout is much simpler on the Fantasy class ships, but what are some other big differences we will notice?

I guess I'm just afraid it might feel like a little bit of a letdown after we have experienced the newer, larger Conquest class ships. Hope my question and concerns make sense.....

It's not difficult at all. I actually prefer the smaller ships as they are easier to navigate, have more open deck space and the big one...fewer passengers. You just have to think smaller, shouldn't be a problem.

I have gone back and forth so far and it isn't a big deal to me.The main differences on the Fantasy class ships:

-Lack of balcony cabins (except the add ons on a couple ships).

-Lack of sofa in Oceanview rooms

-Dining Rooms are one floor instead of 2 stories.

-Theatre is 2 stories instead of three, more obstructed view seats on Fantasy Class.

-Piano Bar is separated onto a different floor then the other venues.

It is just overall a bit smaller, but it probably isn't as big as a difference as you think it will be. I have been on the Fascination twice and do like the ship. Also, with the sailing being in March then it will be post-EoF dry dock and will have balconies added. I was on the Imagination last moth which has the EoF upgrades and I really liked it. I say go for it.

Having sailed two Fantasy class ships (Sensation and Elation) and one Conquest class ship (Valor), probably the biggest thing for me is that I wouldn't prefer to do anything longer than 5 days on a Fantasy class ship. Don't get me wrong; I like them and they are easier to navigate but I missed the Adult pool area (though Serenity was nice :D) and just having more places on board to visit (plus getting used to a smaller dining room and Lido restaurant took a few days). Of course, it was nice having a lot less people on board and you didn't have to walk as far to get places. Our cabin on the Valor was an OV aft and I SWEAR it felt like we were walking forever to get to the front of the ship!!

Don't knock it till you try it though. Go on the Fascination and then you will have something to compare the Conquest class with. And remember, any cruise is better than no cruise!! :D:)

Although I LOVE the Liberty (sailed on her twice), my wife prefers the smaller ships (our cruise on the Imagination and the Holiday have been her favorite). Smaller ship, shorter lines, everything seemed to be a bit easier to find.

Understanding what the differences are before you get on the ship will play a big role on whether your enjoy your cruise or not. For example, when we sailed on the Holiday, we knew that it was going to be a smaller and older ship, with no atrium, and smaller cabins than on the Liberty. In turn, we were pleasantly surprised with what we found.

The major things to keep in mind about sailing on the Fascination vs. the Liberty:

• Oceanview cabins are smaller on the Fascination (185sq ft vs 220sq ft)
  • Restaurants are single level on the Fascination (vs. double decker restaurants on the Conquest class
  • No sliding glass dome on the Fascination BUT you'll have the Serenity Area as well as the Carnival Waterworks which you don't have on the Liberty
  • No Supper Club on the Fascination

In the most part, everything else you find on the Fascination should be the same as on the Conquest class, but shrunk a bit (for example, instead of a 3 tier main theatre, it will be a two tier theatre).

If you are anything like us, you'll enjoy your cruise on the Fascination!

My Dh and I sailed the Destiny for our very first cruise and then sailed with Sis and BIL on the Celebration a couple of years later and to tell the truth I had more fun and enjoyed the Celebration way more than the Destiny...I love the smaller ships and feel like I get more bang for my buck on them because service and food are absolutely wonderful. Not to say I won't sail the bigger ships....of course I will:D....but still have a thing for the smaller ones!!!!

We have been on the Liberty and it was great. But still favor the Fantasy class personally. Maybe in 2 weeks the Glory will change my mind. :)

The Glory will always have a special place in my heart-that was our first cruise ever and what got me hooked on cruising! (Getting bumped up to a mini suite from a guaranteed balcony helped a lot too though! :D)

We just sailed Fantasy in July, after sailing the "larger" ships. I thought I would be shocked at the small size, but I found it very cozy! I especially enjoyed the waterworks area, and I loved the palm trees/set up on Lido deck by the pool. The only major difference I noticed was the buffet was set up totally differently, with the dessert stations being much smaller. I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Fantasy class (as long as it had the waterworks installed) again!

You will do fine. We started on Navigator of the Seas, then went directly to Holiday, and loved both of them. Navigator was a marvel of technology and features, and Holiday gave us a great dining experience and uncrowded outdoor areas. Even our sons loved Holiday, and we had been concerned about that, because they grew up in the "mall generation" of the eighties.

Navigator is three times the size of Holiday, and Conquest is only one and a half times the size of Fascination, so you should adjust quite well.

• 3 months later...

We actually prefer the Fantasy class over the Conquest class.

WE did 2 Fantasy class cruises, then tried 2 Conquest class cruises and hated them compared to the smaller ships.

We just finished our 3rd and 4th Fantasy class cruises this past Saturday.

Now looking to book another Fantasy class cruise for September.

The ONLY thing I liked about the Conquest class over the Fantasy class is the Seaside Theater....

Everything else is just more crowds, longer lines, longer debarkation at every port, etc...

Bill

I've been on 16 cruises. I hate long lines. On the larger ships, they have twice the amount of people, but guess what, they have the exact same amount of lunch lines. In Nov. on the Triumph I found we could not eat on the Lido deck at all. We have two young children so one person whatches the kids and the other goes for the food. We found we couldn't get what we wanted as it was 20 min. in each line. Yes, the 1st day took us over an hour to get everything settled. We wound up having to eat in the dining room every day as that was a lot faster and less stressful with 2 kids.

You want a chicken sandwich "There's a line for that"

You want pizza "There's a line for that"

You want a hamburger "There's a line for that"

The Fantasy class ships, we didn't have this problem.

But I enjoyed the Conquest class the best just because of more choices in the restaurants/ food selections, my kids are very picky eaters. I also enjoy just wondering around the big ship. More opportunity to meet friends.

But I enjoyed the Conquest class the best just because of more choices in the restaurants/ food selections, my kids are very picky eaters. I also enjoy just wondering around the big ship. More opportunity to meet friends.

How does the Conquest class have much more choices?

You get the additional $$$ steak restaurant and either fish and chips or chicken rotissiere above the lido buffett.

Other than that, everything is identical...deli, pizza, grills, etc...same 2 dining rooms.

Just twice as many people.

Bill

Archived