Sunset Bar near Airport

Uconnfan

Yes, I'm planning an entire cruise around this for my husband. :) Anyway, I got exact detailed information on the Fodor's Caribbean board.

Flights come in, the most, from about 12pm-3pm. KLM doesn't fly their 747 any longer, from what I see?? But plenty of other wide bodies. Taxi is about $15+ and allow 45 minutes.

I'll see what the schedules are for my exact days in January, after I book, will be picking up a cheap, late dumped cruise. :)

We were at Sunset Beach Bar in July. It is a great place to visit. They have the flight arrival/departure schedule for the day posted at the Bar. Also, they have speakers that transmit the control tower/plane conversations. It is definitely a "must see" and as the sign at the bar states - "Topless Women Drink Free." There were a couple of women taking advantage of this while we were there.

By the way, if you are going by car, there is plenty of parking available at the Bar.

Yes, I'm planning an entire cruise around this for my husband. :) Anyway, I got exact detailed information on the Fodor's Caribbean board.

Flights come in, the most, from about 12pm-3pm. KLM doesn't fly their 747 any longer, from what I see?? <snip>

KLM's flight 785, a 747-400, landed today at 3:53pm local.

Airline Klm Royal Dutch Airlines

Flight Number 785

Departure City (Airport) Amsterdam, Netherlands (EHAM)

Departure Time 09/29/2009 02:00 PM

Arrival City (Airport) Saint Maarten, Guadeloupe (TNCM)

Arrival Time 09/29/2009 03:53 PM

Remaining Flight Time 00:00

Aircraft Type Boeing 747-400

Current Altitude 0 feet

Current Groundspeed 0 mph

Flight Status Arrived

gary

Take a tour with Bernard. It is only $35 and stops at the Sunset Bar at Maho beach, includes some sightseeing and then goes to Orient Beach for a couple of hours. He knows when the planes are scheduled to land and times it accordingly. We have plans to tour with him in December but he gets rave reviews on this board.

Corsair, a French charter operation, still flies the lumbering 747s, which need the entire runway and frequently clip the fence at the runway edge.

Any links to it happening even once?

I've heard stories, but have never seen it documented.

Now for the stories of a departing jet blowing over a vehicle on the road at Maho, we were on the island one year when it actually happened -- saw a photo in the local paper the next day. 1995 or so.

gary

Take a tour with Bernard. It is only $35 and stops at the Sunset Bar at Maho beach, includes some sightseeing and then goes to Orient Beach for a couple of hours. He knows when the planes are scheduled to land and times it accordingly. We have plans to tour with him in December but he gets rave reviews on this board.

Do you know how long he stops at Maho Beach? We definitely want to spend a bit of time there.

Thanks,

Sandy

Sandy, I'm not exactly sure how long he stays at Maho Beach. Another poster said they stayed 45 minutes at Majo Beach and two hours at Orient Beach.

Here's the information from his website. I can tell you for sure when we return in December.

GROUP TOUR

$35 per person (cash or Credit Card). The booking deposit will be $7.00 per person

All day tour includes sightseeing, beach and shopping

9:00am - 11:00am ~ Sightseeing

11:00am - 1:00pm ~ Orient Beach

1:30pm - 3:00pm ~ Shopping in Philipsburg

Note: Shopping at the famous Rima's store will be for 20 minutes.

Note: Each scenic stop will be between 5 to 10 minutes.

Note: The Marigot open market will be a 40 minute stop.

Any links to it happening even once?

I've heard stories, but have never seen it documented.

Now for the stories of a departing jet blowing over a vehicle on the road at Maho, we were on the island one year when it actually happened -- saw a photo in the local paper the next day. 1995 or so.

gary

While googling for Maho plane pictures to add to my collection, I ran across a blog by a traveling photo-journalist who years ago interviewed airport officials and questioned why they didn't replace the metal fence with a sturdier stone/concrete fence. Their answer - the easily bent fence does less damage to the landing gear of the occasional airplane that clips it then a stone fence would. So they leave it as it is.

From the horses mouth..................

Plus of course the usual anecdotal tales of other pax.......................

KLM's flight 785, a 747-400, landed today at 3:53pm local.

Airline Klm Royal Dutch Airlines

Flight Number 785

Departure City (Airport) Amsterdam, Netherlands (EHAM)

Departure Time 09/29/2009 02:00 PM

Arrival City (Airport) Saint Maarten, Guadeloupe (TNCM)

Arrival Time 09/29/2009 03:53 PM

Remaining Flight Time 00:00

Aircraft Type Boeing 747-400

Current Altitude 0 feet

Current Groundspeed 0 mph

Flight Status Arrived

gary

Looking closer, at the schedules, it looks like KLM only flys in with the 747 on Tuesdays. Any place I can find a port schedule?? Or anyone know the Tuesday ports of call for St. Martin??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived