2009/2010 hawaii cruises on princess

MTJSR

The new 2009/2010 Hawaii season has just started and thousands of us are preparing for our trips. Any new information you have for those of us getting ready to go would be appreciated.

With the Star, Pacific, Sun and Golden in Hawaii this week. There should be plenty of good tips and tricks available soon:rolleyes:

I just found out that parking is NOT included in your Crowne Plaza hotel rates, if you buy a room thru "Priceline". We just found this out after getting two rooms for 92.00 each.

My question is, what is parking like at the San Pedro pier parking lot? Garage, lot, safe etc?:confused:

I just found out that parking is NOT included in your Crowne Plaza hotel rates, if you buy a room thru "Priceline". We just found this out after getting two rooms for 92.00 each.

My question is, what is parking like at the San Pedro pier parking lot? Garage, lot, safe etc?:confused:

San Pedro is a huge lot. It is safe, have never had any problems.

As of now, the charge is $12.00 per day. I heard that they may raise it to $15.00 after the first of the year. :eek:

Think we will have someone drop us off.........$15 X 14 = A LOT$$$!!!

It's a big open lot, but we haven't had a problem in the five times we've parked there. The last time out of SP, we used a car service because 15 days worth of luggage wouldn't have fit in either of our car trunks. But the next time, we may just use hubby's ancient van and park there again.

What you do is drive into the World Cruise Center (if getting off the Harbor Freeway, stay in the center lane when taking the Harbor Blvd offramp, and drive across Harbor Blvd into the entrance). You'll see a marque listing which ship is at which berth (you'll see the ships anyway). Drive up to the berth, drop off passengers and luggage and drive down to the lot. You can jump on the free shuttle bus driving around the lot or just walk up to the berth.

It's a big open lot' date=' but we haven't had a problem in the five times we've parked there. The last time out of SP, we used a car service because 15 days worth of luggage wouldn't have fit in either of our car trunks. But the next time, we may just use hubby's ancient van and park there again.

What you do is drive into the World Cruise Center (if getting off the Harbor Freeway, stay in the center lane when taking the Harbor Blvd offramp, and drive across Harbor Blvd into the entrance). You'll see a marque listing which ship is at which berth (you'll see the ships anyway). Drive up to the berth, drop off passengers and luggage and drive down to the lot. You can jump on the free shuttle bus driving around the lot or just walk up to the berth.[/quote']

That helps alot, thanks. we are driving down from northern california and have no idea what the lay of the land is, so to speak. The Crowne Plaza said they might allow us to park for a 10.00 per day fee but it would be space permitting as they have only approx 100 spaces.

Yes, to get the park and sail package you have to book directly with Crowne. Its a good deal if you are only staying the one night. The package is 199.00. includes your room, breakfast for 2, 2 drinks at the bar, transportation to and from the ship and the parking. I figure it out as the room is free.

John

Could you cancel the Crowne Plaza and rebook with the Double Tree? They have free parking while you are on the cruise, plus they have cheaper rooms and the sweet dreams matresses! Very nice, very clean. They have a restaurant and bar etc. Parking is just way too much at the pier, its like parking in San Francisco!

That helps alot, thanks. we are driving down from northern california and have no idea what the lay of the land is, so to speak. The Crowne Plaza said they might allow us to park for a 10.00 per day fee but it would be space permitting as they have only approx 100 spaces.

If they'll give you priority for a space if you stay there, then it sounds like a good idea. Arrive a day ahead and rest up (especially if you're the one doing the driving). That way, if something goes wrong with your car...or if you need to pick up something from the store ahead of the cruise, you'll have time. We live about 50 miles from the port, so if something goes wrong with our car, we should be able to get it towed and get a cab to the port. But then we usually leave by 10am.

Could you cancel the Crowne Plaza and rebook with the Double Tree? They have free parking while you are on the cruise, plus they have cheaper rooms and the sweet dreams matresses! Very nice, very clean. They have a restaurant and bar etc. Parking is just way too much at the pier, its like parking in San Francisco!

The Priceline purchase agreement is that it is not refundable. Sometimes these "Get it cheaper" efforts come back to bite you and cost more in the long run.

The thing about Crowne Plaza is, parking is not guaranteed unless you pay for the higher priced hotel/parking package. Otherwise parking is offered space available/first come only.

I too am chomping at the bit.... for the Hawaii reviews to start showing up. I am most interested in the unknown secrets that you would only know by having been on the cruise. Shore times vs those advertised, rental car tricks and best excursions etc.

Well darn, I hate that fine print on those websites!

I can't wait to find out about onboard activities, I want all of the secrets on the duckie and boat building competition! Like can we bring our own supplies for the boats etc? What can we and can't we do? I know we have to float a 6 pack across the pool but is it a race? We are really looking forward to the activities, but are concerned that our Hawaii trip may not have them. Our cruise was a throw in, its on the Sapphire which is only doing 3 Hawaii cruises and doing the Mexican Riviera in between, as that is her normal itinerary, although we wouldn't change our booking because we got our favorite ship and E731 mini, we're just hoping we'll get activities like the other 14 day Hawaii trips do. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed, though I know we won't have a good idea until Jan. 2011 when she does her first Hawaii cruise, we're on the second.

We have reservations at the Vagabond Inn, San Pedro. They have a room, parking package and shuttle for about $120. Trip Advisor gave them good rating. Has anybody stayed there?:confused:

No, but I have heard of it though, and if I remember correctly, it was fairly close to the pier. I think I called them, maybe they were the ones who didn't have room service?:confused: I know I looked at them, I just can't remember why we didn't go with them. We found the Double Tree for much cheaper, with free parking and complimentary shuttle to and from the pier, It was only around $80 for the night. I stayed at the Vagabond in over by Disneyland once, and from what I remember it was nice. Oh wait, maybe that was the hotel the other CC'er said not to stay at! Let me find that thread and post it!

Well darn, I hate that fine print on those websites!

I can't wait to find out about onboard activities, I want all of the secrets on the duckie and boat building competition! Like can we bring our own supplies for the boats etc? What can we and can't we do? I know we have to float a 6 pack across the pool but is it a race? We are really looking forward to the activities, but are concerned that our Hawaii trip may not have them. Our cruise was a throw in, its on the Sapphire which is only doing 3 Hawaii cruises and doing the Mexican Riviera in between, as that is her normal itinerary, although we wouldn't change our booking because we got our favorite ship and E731 mini, we're just hoping we'll get activities like the other 14 day Hawaii trips do. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed, though I know we won't have a good idea until Jan. 2011 when she does her first Hawaii cruise, we're on the second.

I can't imagine there wouldn't be a full slate of activities, but it'll be because of a good CD. There were plenty of Hawaiian-oriented activities on our cruise, including lei-making, uke lessons. Also, some of the movies playing in the cabins were based in Hawaii (Pearl Harbor, etc.). Hopefully, the CD on your cruise will change any MR type of fun to Hawaiian fun.

I can't imagine there wouldn't be a full slate of activities' date=' but it'll be because of a good CD. There were plenty of Hawaiian-oriented activities on our cruise, including lei-making, uke lessons. Also, some of the movies playing in the cabins were based in Hawaii (Pearl Harbor, etc.). Hopefully, the CD on your cruise will change any MR type of fun to Hawaiian fun.[/quote']

I hope your right! Its true, the CD can make all the difference in the world, keep your fingers crossed that we don't end up with Lee Childers!!:eek: He is by far, the worst we've encountered! Him and his assistant, I can't remember her name, but during a show some elderly man started cussing at her, it sounds horrible, but was actually pretty funny in the long run :D

You're SO lucky though, you all get David Cole, he's an amazing CD, really great guy, very friendly and knows his stuff! His scheduling was always great!

Archived