Stressed over missing final documents

edgee

Am sailing Transatlantic on QM2 from Brooklyn on 10 days, yet have not received final documents. About 6 weeks ago we received the personalized "brochure" for our cruise and have spoken with Cunard and our travel agent who say all of our on line registration information has been completed and it is fine if we just show up at the pier with passport and can fill out blank luggage tags there since my wife and I on the manifest. My agent says that Cunard has sent a replacement set of final documents but since they come from the UK we may or may not receive them prior to cruise,but do not worry. Should I be concerned that there could be problems when we arrive at Brooklyn and try and enter through the guard gate? Is this a potential problem and are there any actions I should take, or should I relax and expect that all be fine?

You should relax. Our docs arrived after we had already left to go on our holiday prior to our last Cunard cruise. I had my son fedex them to our hotel in New York and was really worried and stressed about the whole thing. As it turned out they arrived but when we checked in nobody asked to see them at all! So we need not have bothered..

Cheers

I too have sailed before without receiving documents ahead of time. Not a problem. There are plenty of staff members on hand with blank luggage tags. As long as you filled the forms out ahead of time, and have your passport, you will be fine.

Enjoy the QM2!

Unfortunately this is a regular occurence, all that you need to board is the cruise reference which is usually 6 alpha-numeric characters and your passport. It only adds a few moments to complete the luggage labels and then board as usual. Don't worry about it at all.

Not to worry. There will be no issues getting into the pier area. There is no security screening/guard gate at the entrance. They often have police at the intersection of Imlay and Bowne (?) directing traffic, but I have never heard or seen them stop a vehicle for inspection of documents. You will simply need to explain your situation at the first check point inside the terminal (after completing blank luggage tags prior to delivering your bags to porters) and they will be very accustomed to handling passengers whose ticket(y) thing has gone missing - happens all the time. So please do chill and enjoy the anticipation!

I sincerely hope that you will not be TOO stressed out over this. As others have said you should have no problem once you have filled out luggage tags and spoken with a rep at the terminal.

Having said this I suspect your agent is not being 100% truthful. I believe all USA docs come from CA not UK. I have had that excuse used to me and it was incorrect.

I am due to sail Nov 17th, not having received any paperwork, I checked with Cunard who informed me that pre cruise docs and the final docs/tickets had already been sent to my agent and that I should check with her.

I did and guess what,- she claimed she just had "just received the" and would put them in the mail to me "tomorrow" Wonder how long she has had them???

Can you go to the agents office, if not suggest that you continue to push the issue with her, sometimes a package arrives at the office, your agent is off on a cruise, and no one is dealing with her/his clients, the package is put in a drawer and gets forgotten.

Good luck, have a great trip

We got to Southampton for the QM2 only to discover that I had left the tickets at home. It made absolutely no difference to the check-in.

LOL, I'd love to have seen your face when you realised!!

Once, as a 'joke' my DH pulled out my expired passport (with the corner cut off) at the check in on our way to Singapore. I screamed & started having hysterics. It's funny looking back, bu, at the time, he realised that it wasn't a clever thing to do!!!

I had to have a strong drink in departures.

Thanks for all the advice. Still do not have my final documents. Cunard has told me that the travel agent did indeed contact them and Cunard is sending directly to me a duplicate package from the UK (which now originates these...no longer CA) which was ordered 2 weeks ago and hopefully they will arrive in next 5 days before I leave. However, they have reiterated that I really will have little hassle without the final documents, so not big deal either way.

However, they have reiterated that I really will have little hassle without the final documents, so not big deal either way.

The 'Legal Document' is the ship's manifest - if you are on that (which you will be) you are on the ship. If you are feeling nervous about your booking check your Voyage Personaliser. I have shown up at the pier without docs and it took them less than a minute to check the manifest then it was check in as usual....

Have a great crossing.....and if you are stressed out by check in, stop off in the Commodore Club for a restorative drink....

Archived