Internet on board-Helpful $ saving tip

coolcat12

Hi,

Many of you already do this but I thought I should report in on just well it worked for me:::::)

I returned from the Mariner of the Seas this week and wanted to share my experience. I wanted to keep in touch with my 19 year old daughter at home so I packed my laptop. Prior to the cruise I installed Gmail Offline. When I got onboard I signed up both my husband and I for the wireless internet using the Mariner's own computer. I then redeemed my 2 C&A coupons for $5 each.

I was able to log on to the Mariner's network and quickly retrieve my Gmail. I then logged off and read and replied to my emails. Most of the time this took less than one minute. The log on page always showed how many dollar credits I had left and was always up to date and correct. My internet bill for the week was less than $3!

If you must check in at home while at sea this is the way to go!

Hi,

Many of you already do this but I thought I should report in on just well it worked for me:::::)

I returned from the Mariner of the Seas this week and wanted to share my experience. I wanted to keep in touch with my 19 year old daughter at home so I packed my laptop. Prior to the cruise I installed Gmail Offline. When I got onboard I signed up both my husband and I for the wireless internet using the Mariner's own computer. I then redeemed my 2 C&A coupons for $5 each.

I was able to log on to the Mariner's network and quickly retrieve my Gmail. I then logged off and read and replied to my emails. Most of the time this took less than one minute. The log on page always showed how many dollar credits I had left and was always up to date and correct. My internet bill for the week was less than $3!

THANKS for the tip!

We are sailing in March and I am also enrolled in an MBA program. I really want to sail but feel responsible to keep up with classes.

We just sailed earlier this month and it cost us about $50 for me to turn in work and comment on discussion threads, in order to be able to participate for the week. DH also checks his email, etc while we are away too so we have been contemplating bringing the laptop next time and just paying for a package.

Thanks again :)

What do you mean you logged on to the mariners network? how does that work? I thought you had to purchase a package? If you bring your own laptop what are your options?

The network was a wireless access. Internet was .55 per minute and I have a paper with all that info around here somewhere??!! (it's been unpacking chaos since we got home.LOL)

I signed up on their computers and I did not have to purchase a plan if I chose not to. You could use wireless in places around the ship. On the Mariner it was Cafe Promenade, Wig and Gavel, Computer room etc. I was able to access the network from my deck (6) at the business service area but not in my room. I imagine that if you had to do computer work on specific web pages that a package would be best but for getting those emails there really was no need as logging on/off was easy.

:)

In addition to using wifi on the ship there, it is also avialable at Starbucks in Cabo, upstairs, make a purchase and they will give you the access code. Several other places at the Cabo marina have wifi that you can access for free or with a purchase. The cruise terminal in Mazatlan has free wifi. In Puerto Vallarta, there is free wifi in the lobby of the Krystal Hotel and the shopping mall opposite the pier has wifi available at Starbucks with a purchase.

In addition to using wifi on the ship there, it is also avialable at Starbucks in Cabo, upstairs, make a purchase and they will give you the access code. Several other places at the Cabo marina have wifi that you can access for free or with a purchase. The cruise terminal in Mazatlan has free wifi. In Puerto Vallarta, there is free wifi in the lobby of the Krystal Hotel and the shopping mall opposite the pier has wifi available at Starbucks with a purchase.

good info, Jack. Also the Port of LA has free wifi too.

OMG! Great information! :D

Most people have Outlook, which can quickly download just the headers, or the entire message. Then you can review your e-mail offline at your leisure. You can connect again, to quickly send anything in your outbox.

Outlook works with virtually any e-mail provider that provides POP access (most do) as well as corporate and hotmail accounts.

Instead of using Gmail offline, just use Outlook, so you can check all your e-mail accounts (not just Gmail).

Most people have Outlook, which can quickly download just the headers, or the entire message. Then you can review your e-mail offline at your leisure. You can connect again, to quickly send anything in your outbox.

Outlook works with virtually any e-mail provider that provides POP access (most do) as well as corporate and hotmail accounts.

Instead of using Gmail offline, just use Outlook, so you can check all your e-mail accounts (not just Gmail).

I have to access my Outlook from work via webmail. Is there a way to make it work? I don't believe so. I am planning to use gmail offline also.

Hi,

Yep, we have been using Gmail off line since it became available, saves lots of $$$!!:D

For personal use, I use Thunderbird, it also downloads email for offline reading and replying.

Depending on your company's policy, to access the corporate email network, you may need to establish an vpn connection to your corporate network to download your email etc. If you are used to doing this at hotels while on the road then it is possible but it can be flaky using a

shipboard connection.

Archived