Passports

DBKK

Yup. I don't set foot outside of the US without my passport on my person. That's my personal preference.

I agree. If you don't have it and need, what was the point of getting it? We take our with us everytime we debark the ship. :)

The passport is as valuable to me as my driver's license. Both documents go with me any time I am outside of the US. For that matter, if I'm flying anywhere in the US my passport goes with me -- a quick and sure source of personal identification, as well as a means to be able to board a plane and fly out of some other country, should I need to.

I take my S&S card and my passport card. I leave my passport book in the room safe.

You can have a passport card and a regular passport at the same time? I think that would be nice to have both. Keep the book on board and take the card with you.

Nope......just take my S&S and DL.........

Same here but I also carry a photo copy of my passport, just a little added peace of mind. I used to carry my passport but since they don't ask for them or stamp them anymore I would only need it if I missed the ship, or got arrested. ( which will not happen ) JMO

The risk of not bringing your passport with you will in non-U.S. ports is if you accidentally miss the ship, you will be in big doo doo trying to get a flight to your next port of call...or home. I bring mine with me just in case...better to be safe than sorry.

The risk of not bringing your passport with you will in non-U.S. ports is if you accidentally miss the ship, you will be in big doo doo trying to get a flight to your next port of call...or home. I bring mine with me just in case...better to be safe than sorry.

good point. i've always left mine in the safe. i don't plan on getting left but if i did it wouldn't do me much good if it's in the safe. something to think about. i doubt you can fly with a copy if your passport. could you?:rolleyes:

Okay, now I am more confused than ever on what to do. But the answers are definitely making me think more about different situations that could occur. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Okay, now I am more confused than ever on what to do. But the answers are definitely making me think more about different situations that could occur. Thank you everyone for your responses.

If you do choose to take your passport on shore.....guard it with your life......identity theft runs rampant with stolen passports.......

If you do choose to take your passport on shore.....guard it with your life......identity theft runs rampant with stolen passports.......

source please

The research I've done shows less than 1% of passports are ever lost, stolen or misplaced.

After 9 years on this board, I think I've only ever read of 1 maybe 2 people who have lost or misplaced their passports. And they lost them in their house.

On previous cruises we have only used a birth certificate and driver licenses. After booking this cruise and reading these boards we are getting a passport book and will be taking it with us when getting off in ports. I hope chances are slim that I would need it but what would happen if in port someone in our party gets hurt or in an accident or just plain misses the boat? How would you get back with out a passport? It will just be a piece of mind for me to have it.

source please

The research I've done shows less than 1% of passports are ever lost, stolen or misplaced.

After 9 years on this board, I think I've only ever read of 1 maybe 2 people who have lost or misplaced their passports. And they lost them in their house.

Source:confused: Having been victim of stolen identity myself.......just want to give people a heads up to be very careful......

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1754456/is_your_passport_a_free_pass_to_identity.html?cat=17

Yes, a passport can be stolen, and if it is, it is very valuable. But a wallet can be stolen, too -- which is much more likely, as you're taking it out to buy stuff while in port, while presumably your passport stays close to you in a fanny pack, or in a belt pack, or in your *front* pocket of your pants (back pockets are "prime real estate" for pickpockets) or securely in your purse which is one of those kinds that is firmly attached to your body.

A passport card won't get you a flight home, and certainly a social security card and driver's license won't! Sure, you can be really careful about planning to get back to the ship on time..

but you can be hurt, be in an accident, be delayed by traffic, be otherwise held up, despite your best planning, and THEN where will you be!

Nope. Passport is always with me, secure in my pocket, tucked safe where it won't fall out...just in case. A COPY of the passport is in my safe, and another in my luggage, just in case I should lose the real thing. A copy will facilitate a new passport, should that be necessary.

Yes, a passport can be stolen, and if it is, it is very valuable. But a wallet can be stolen, too -- which is much more likely, as you're taking it out to buy stuff while in port, while presumably your passport stays close to you in a fanny pack, or in a belt pack, or in your *front* pocket of your pants (back pockets are "prime real estate" for pickpockets) or securely in your purse which is one of those kinds that is firmly attached to your body.

This is why we never bring wallets or purses either;) What isn't waterproof and doesn't fit in dh's boardshorts pocket stays behind;)

Nope. Passport is always with me, secure in my pocket, tucked safe where it won't fall out...just in case. A COPY of the passport is in my safe, and another in my luggage, just in case I should lose the real thing. A copy will facilitate a new passport, should that be necessary.

You better bring your birth certificate too......you will need that to get a new passport.......

Archived