Snorkel or scuba in Aruba?

cruisecouple88

My DH and I are going to be in Aruba in Dec. We are wondering which would be better .... to book a snorkeling trip to the Antilla Shipwreck or book a scuba excursion. I was looking into the Sailaway Beach and Snorkel thru RCI or scuba on our own. We love scuba diving, snorkeling, and the beach. We have already booked a scuba excursion in Curacao for the next day.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

You will only see the very top of the Antilla while snorkeling. Vis in Aruba is not the best, somedays better than others, but sitting in 60+ feet of water you will not be able to see neary as much of the wreck as would on a dive.

We dive Aruba every year when we go done for the month in November. We have always used Red Sail sports.

The Antilla is a decent dive but IMHO the South Coast and the Jane C are superb! The south coast drift dive over the reef is fantastic and the Jane C a fully intact ship sitting upright on the bottom with lots of sea life. Visibility is normally better on the South Coast as well, and since that is closer to the cruise port you can ask when you book if they can pick you up downtown instead of you going to palm beach to board the dive boat.

I agree with Kthy. The south coast is definately the way to go if you can schedule it. Having said that, I've dove the the Antilla almost a dozen times and I always enjoy it. It's much shallower than the Jane Sea so you can get more bottom time there. I'm partial to Unique Sports myself but have also been happy with Red Sail.

I agree with Kthy. The south coast is definately the way to go if you can schedule it. Having said that, I've dove the the Antilla almost a dozen times and I always enjoy it. It's much shallower than the Jane Sea so you can get more bottom time there. I'm partial to Unique Sports myself but have also been happy with Red Sail.

Good point.. I didn't even think about the bottom time.. Very true.

And the Antilla is a good dive.. I just can never seem to hit it right for decent visibility.. Maybe its the time of year that I go?

Archived