St. Maarten excursions

montereybob

Best bet is to check the St. Martin or Tortola (I presume that is your BVI stop?) forum - you'll get much larger response. Also mention what you like to do. Do you like beaches? Water sports? Boating? Snorkeling or diving?

In St. Martin we usually take a cab to the beach with shopping in town before or after - there is actually a decent beach right in town with lots of nice restaurants and bars - but while it is very nice the further out beaches are even nicer!

In Tortola we've taken a cab to Cane Garden Bay - beautiful beach.

We really enjoyed the America's Cup Regatta which is a race between 2 - 3 retired America's Cup boats. Lots of fun and it is a working trip where everyone is assigned a task. You will enjoy the island. Wally8

I just go to the beach now. did all the ships tours i wanted. you could go to Sunset bar and watch the planes take off. you are right on the beach there.

Tortola

the baths of Virgin Gorda. plus walk around the small town ans have lunch at Pussers. Hit Sunny Carribbee for spices.

We have done a few different things while in St. Marten. My hubby did Bubba Bottom Fishing and had a great time as well as the sport fishing trip. We've also done America's Cup Regatta which we highly recommend as well as touring the island with a taxi driver and Joyce Prince, a local guide. Don't miss a trip over to Maho Bay near Princess Juliana Airport, it's an experience you won't soon forget. Oh yeah, one more excursion we did was a the Golden Eagle Catamaran, whch we highly recommend.

As for Tortola, we did the Sea and See tour, which was just ok. You could probably have just as much fun doing a taxi tour or going snorkeling or diving because we heard that it's great there.

There is alot to do at this port, so much that going back multiple times does not stop you from finding new things to do.

For orgainzed excursions, The America's Cup which is a Celebrity excursion is great fun. For private excursions Bernard's Tours doe sa great job of taking you around to a variety places on the island and stopping at the right time at the airport when you can just about touch the planes comming overhead.

You can do a lot on your own if you like, there is great shopping for jewelry and liquor locally, so you can stay local or you can get over to one of the French beaches if you want to just beach it and take in those sights.

There is ususally enough time in this port to combine two excurions, say an America's Cup in the morning and an afternnoon beach break if you want o fill your day, but there is not enough time to do all that you could there in one day.

Its one of my favorite Caribbean ports. Enjoy!

Here's another vote for the America's Cup excursion in St. Martin. My wife and I were sailing (off a Connie cruise) on the famous "Stars & Stripes" on election day last year. We sure won't forget where we were the day President Obama was elected!!

We were on St Marteen last spring and did a drive yourself jeep tour. There was a tour guide and a train of about 12 jeeps. I thought it was fun, we got to see a lot of the island and stop at Orient Beach and then back to Phillipsburg for lunch and shopping. Also, the time before we went to the butterfly farm, was interesting and beautiful, but a word of advice, do a tour and not a cab. We took a cab to the butterfly farm and when we wanted to go back to the ship we could not get a cab to come that far out. We had to walk the 2 plus mile to Orient Beach to catch a cab. An interesting adventure, but not what we had planned.

Archived