Surprising Kids

ruffs

You created a hoax that freaked out your kids and caused anxiety? Even though you suprised them with a crusie, this seems a little mean to me. :confused:

If you go and read CeleBrat's review of that cruise, the kids weren't that stressed, and really enjoyed the surprise, so it want that bad :)

• 1 month later...

Just back from my kids' fourth cruise, first SURPRISE cruise - it was great! I booked a 4-night out of San Diego on the Carnival Elation (we live in Los Angeles) and told the kids (7yo and 4yo) a few days before that we would be going on "a little adventure". I packed the night before and hid the bags in the back of the van. That morning I had each kid choose a stuffed animal to sleep with (so they knew we would be gone overnight) and fill a gallon ziploc with little toys to take. They each had their backpacks and off we went.

As we drove south on the 5 freeway they kept guessing different locations... Disneyland? Nope, passing that exit. The Cube (science museum)? Nope, passing that exit. Legoland? Nope, passing that exit. By the time we passed Sea World they were COMPLETELY baffled.

When we crested the hill and got a view of the harbor, I said "I see our destination!" My 7yo son said "I don't see our destination, I only see a Carnival ship."

"Uh-huh....."

... and then it DAWNED on him and he started SCREAMING "We're going on a Carnival ship! We're going on a Carnival ship!" :D It was a fantastic surprise... I'm so glad I did it. :)

As my husband and I joked later though, we never realized how much we use trips as a "reminder" for good behavior until we decided to keep this one a secret. LOL

I surprised my kids with a Disney Cruise and it was the BEST thing we have ever done. I have video and it always brings tears to our eyes when we watch it. Even her teacher cried when he saw it and its a HE. :D

We told them we were going to Disney - no cruise, can't afford it this year, blah blah blah. So we go to Disney for 6 days. On the 6th day we pack up to "head to the airport". The driver picked us up at the hotel and was in on the secret. He kept saying things like "I bet you're sad to go home?" and "We'll be at the airport soon"

As soon as we go over that hill and saw the ship I started filming and I handed my kids the tickets. My oldest started freaking out saying "You booked it? For next year?" and I said "No NOW, you are getting on that ship RIGHT NOW"

She started screaming! She had a smile pasted on her face the entire cruise.

If I could figure out a way to do it again, I would. But I HIGHLY recommend it. And make sure you get video!

I surprised my kids with a Disney Cruise and it was the BEST thing we have ever done. I have video and it always brings tears to our eyes when we watch it. Even her teacher cried when he saw it and its a HE. :D

We told them we were going to Disney - no cruise, can't afford it this year, blah blah blah. So we go to Disney for 6 days. On the 6th day we pack up to "head to the airport". The driver picked us up at the hotel and was in on the secret. He kept saying things like "I bet you're sad to go home?" and "We'll be at the airport soon"

As soon as we go over that hill and saw the ship I started filming and I handed my kids the tickets. My oldest started freaking out saying "You booked it? For next year?" and I said "No NOW, you are getting on that ship RIGHT NOW"

She started screaming! She had a smile pasted on her face the entire cruise.

If I could figure out a way to do it again, I would. But I HIGHLY recommend it. And make sure you get video!

That's so cool the driver joined in on the surprise! I teared up reading your post. I'm such a sap.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear I'm not the only one to surprise the kids with a cruise. I've planned the 7 day cruise and 3 excursions for them and none of them even have a clue! Sons are 17 and 14-they've been on 2 cruises before. Daughter is 9 and this will be her first cruise. I've wrote them a letter and plan on putting the letter in the tree as the last "present" this year. The letter states they have everything they could ever want. When I asked them what they want for Christmas they said, "not sure mom let me think about it." That's when I realized they have everything they could ever need. I gave them the one thing we don't have enough of, TIME. I told them I bought them 196 hours of time. 8 days as we are leaving the day before we sail. I'm going nuts with exitement and can't say a word!

I love your idea ruffs...I can totally relate to you wanting to use this great oppotunity to pleasantly surprise your kids!

But unfortunately, as others people have said, it's likely to become a hassle at check-in and boarding. You'll be a magician if you can get them through the whole boarding process without them cottoning on that they're going cruising!

I think, personally, it may be more rewarding to your children if you simply surprise them not long before you're scheduled to go, that way you can hype it up and get them all interested prior... Let's face it, some of the fun really comes from the anticipation and planning aspect of the cruise, so I think you should get your kids involved earlier than once you're there! Just my two cents, but something to think about :D I hope you have a fabulous cruise no matter what you do! :D

facts about canary islands holidays

That's when I realized they have everything they could ever need. I gave them the one thing we don't have enough of, TIME. I told them I bought them 196 hours of time. 8 days as we are leaving the day before we sail. I'm going nuts with exitement and can't say a word!

WOW! That is powerful... You actually brought a tear to my eye. I hope you enjoy every minute of those 196 hours.

Why tell them before just so they can have some anticipation? That in itself is the opposite of surprise. It won't have the impact of a true surprise. I love the idea of waiting until the last second to tell. Yes, it may be necessary to tell before actually boarding, but I can't imagine the excitement of waiting until they look at the ship in person. I would love to do this when mine gets old enough to appreciate it.

WOW! That is powerful... You actually brought a tear to my eye. I hope you enjoy every minute of those 196 hours.

thank you. We will enjoy every minute. I know we will. Some reason when we are out in public they act like perfect angels..... well atleast they pull it off and fool the public! ha ha I guess I'd be too much to ask for them to do that at home too. he he

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you tell them now, in advance, there will be plenty of surprises. My wife and I took my stepson, his wife, and 3 young daughters on a cruise last March (Voyager of the Seas). They all knew of it well in advance, and the anticipation added to the trip, I think. Then, as we approached the ship on the day of sailing, I said, "There's the ship." The middle daughter (age 8) says, "Where." I said, "There". "Where?" "There." She finally said, "I see the hotel, but where's the ship?" I said, "That's the ship." She said, "THAT'S THE SHIP?" (She was thinking the ship would be more like a small boat.)

After you board, let the kids enjoy exploring the ship with you. They will be surprised at all the places there are on the ship.

Chances are your muster drill will be before sailing. That kind of spoils any "oops we are stuck on the ship" surprise.

Besides, you'll want to visit the kid area, whatever it is, and sign them up. On RCCL, it is "Adventure Ocean."

And, you can surprise them with some special shore excursions.

Please tell me you have your passports !!!

Trust me, there will be plenty of surprises for the kids, and you. Have a great trip.

Santa is bringing the kids, 12 & 9, a cruise for Christmas. I can't wait to see their faces. They just didn't need anything else and they've been asking to go on one for a few years now.

We bought them several summer-type clothes, some nicer clothing for dinner, swimsuits, and such. We have everything wrapped and numbered in the order they have to open it so at first they'll think Santa is crazy for bringing them all this clothing. The last few presents they'll open are tickets to Schlitterbaun in Galveston, a giant blow-up Carnival ship with a ticket attached, and printouts of the excursions we'll be going on.

It will then be a mad dash to get everything packed as we will be driving to Galveston Christmas day so we will have a full day of fun in Galveston on Saturday. The cruise will leave Sunday for a great New Year's Eve cruise. We've been planning this since July and the excitement is about to make me burst. I can't wait to see their faces.

Santa is bringing the kids, 12 & 9, a cruise for Christmas....The cruise will leave Sunday for a great New Year's Eve cruise.

How wonderful. You will have a great time -- New Years Eve on a cruise ship! I have done that once on the Ecstasy. Will your kids make it to midnight? If not, you might try to board the ship as early and possible and make private babysitting arrangements, although as I think about it I bet there is a special kid's party that evening at Camp Carnival.

Archived